Sick and tired of biased professors!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pismo, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I am a junior in college majoring in computer sciences. I am currently enrolled in a computer architecture class and we are presently learning about processor manufacturing processes. My professor is all about PC?s and XP. That?s fine but he keeps trashing the Mac and Apple like crazy. He says that Apple servers aren?t able to handle huge loads and he says the operating systems aren?t that good!! I can?t believe my ears! I doubt he?s ever used either a G3 or G4. Have any of you guys had problems with ignorant people like this biased fool?

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

just tell him he's full of crap. if hes all about windows XP then he obviously knows nothing anyways. a real computer science person would know the benefits and value of linux over winblows. all you gotta do is make him look stupid one time with OS X. he'll shutup.

3. Pismo thread starter macrumors 6502

Pismo

I should bring in my brother in law's 1 GHz TiBook and do a presentation (using Keynote of course:D) and show the class why Macs are better than PC's and winblows. I can't think of any other people on campus who has a Mac. My cousin who is a freshman has a 700 MHz iBook and I have a Pismo PowerBook. There are a few PowerMac G4's (450 MHz machines I think) running 10.2 but I doubt any of the professors have used them. Maybe I should talk with my professor and enlighten him about what Macs are capable of. Perhaps he will let me do a presentation on Apple.

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Good luck. Sounds like this prof needs a good a$$-kicking :)

5. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Everybody's biased.

This guy's just ignorant (and in charge of your grade).

Too bad for you, but his attitude will teach you more about the real-world workforce than any of the information he can impart.

Good luck. - j

6. professor macrumors newbie

hey, I'm a professor myself. I'm quite biased too, but in favor of Apple. I hear my students talking about PC's ("they're cheaper, as good, and there is more software"), and I swear I never try to influence them at all. They come to my office, see my PowerMacs, caress the "glass" handles, say "hmmm...", and days later they haul in their brand-new Apple powerbooks.
    We're in Germany where PC's are prevalent, but then, we're designers.
    So don't dispair. Just do things your way and don't listen too much to the professors.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That does suck, sorry to hear it. Hopefully the 'facts' he's ramming down your throat won't be required for the exams.

I was lucky enough not to have had any really biased profs while going to school, but in the case of computers, it was over 10 years ago and it was effectively a different world.

Good luck,

D

8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

What are this guys credentials? does he have any? The guy is most likely an idiot. Next time he says something like that, ask him to back up his statement. Then ask him when the last Internet wide computer virus struck Mac machines. If he says something about the number deployed, as him about Linux. He has no arguement if he is saying windows are the best platform. If he was comparing Mac OSX to Linux, that would be a different story. The Mac will be easier for a novice to configure and run, but you can run Linux on a damn powerful machine, and most of the server apps are based on the same codebase.

You should focus your arguement on things like:
    Apache versus IIS
    imapd versus exchange
    bind versus MS DNS

The guy is a crack smoker

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I had a PC head professor for my Excel classes my senior year. I wound up selling him my iBook G3 300 at the end of the semester. I was the only person in the class with a Mac, everyone else was on a PC.

Now he has a Dual 1.25 and teaches excel from a Mac.

10. Pismo thread starter macrumors 6502

Pismo

Today's class really annoyed me. We were talking about power supplies for a little bit and he said that Apple uses horrible power supplies and that they are not the industry standard. What a moron!! I'm not an expert on power supplies but aren't the ones in Macs and PC's the same? They use the same power cords don't they?

The next topic we got onto was bus connectors. Here's a quote to show how "up-to-date" my professor is, "NuBus is something that is being used by Apple TODAY". NuBus hasn't been used in years if I'm not mistaken. This guy really needs to stop reading PC World for a bit and buy an issue of MacWorld. God forbid he actually learns something new.

PS - Another tidbit, he calls the Intel XEON processor "Xenon". They're processors Jerry, not headlights!

11. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

The cords being the same only means that the connectors for the cords on the Powersupplies is standard. Who the heck cares whether or not the power supplies are standard? You are not going to build a Mac from scratch. If one goes bad, (you should buy applecare) are they really that much more expensive? I am not even sure whether or not they are not not some standard powersupply that they get from an oem. I don't see apple designing power supplies.
    Yeah, I have one of the last NuBus Macs sitting on a shelf, an 8100. Macs have had PCI since the 8500/9500 days. They have had AGP since the blue G3s I believe. They also use standard memory modules.
    Xenon = noble gas
    XEON i hear is pronounced like ZEE-ON

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey pismo,
    give me his email address. I will send him a tutorial on Mac.

:)

13. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

14. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Here's what you do. Keep track of all the **** he has said and says in the next week. Then write it all down, and write down the facts next to them, and leave it anonymously on his desk. He'll probably shut up then. If he doesn't, do it the next week too. You won't get a bad rep with the teacher, and he'll stupid being such a ****head.

15. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Also, when I go to NYU, I'll be in the Music Technology program hopefully. I doubt there will be too much anti-mac sentiment there, especially since we'll be learning Max/MSP. ;-)

16. Pismo thread starter macrumors 6502

Pismo

Gerald "Jerry" Joyce is his name. He is also head of the CS department (go figure). You can see his credentials here.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Military background just screams PC...you've got a lot of "knowledge" to help him unlearn. ;)

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm actually quite happy with the program director for Computer Programming and Database Management at my school. He did a lot of embedded hardware programming prior to teaching. and he tells the truth about Microsoft, even though the school is a Microsoft campus. They also teach Oracle and UNIX on Windows PCs and they use a Linux server for the Internetworking Security class.

On the other side, Graphics Technology, it's all Macs--no PCs allowed.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i teach pc networking and i can safely say to my class that a mac network is just as good...if not better...he he

but now i have been chosen to teach computer gaming...as much as i like apple, inc and have used their machines pretty consistently since the 1970s, i have to say in terms of gaming choices, the pc has the mac beat hands down...these days

but at least, the games won't wank out the heck of a mac like a pc if played too much

20. ezkimo macrumors regular

jjoyce@keene.edu :D
    You can also find his phone number here

-Zach