Sick of my Apple mouse - want a new mouse!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Atlasland, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Ok, I have an iMac G5 (as in sig). I bought it with the Apple BT Keyboard & Mouse.

Now the whole setup looks beautiful. But I'm getting a little sick of the mouse. Why...?

1) 1 Button - pain in the ass. And a real pain in the ass when I occasionally want to play games

2) No scroll wheel - pain in the ass.

3) Its too flat - and after using it for a prolonged period of time, my hand starts to really ache.

4) When gaming, its not as responsive as I'd like.

Now I'd like to buy a new mouse. I was going to wait for Apple's BT Mighty Mouse, but it looks like that probably won't happen in the near future (I'm tired of waiting). But a BT Mighty Mouse wouldn't have addressed Problem 3, and this particular problem is really starting to bug me.

So does anyone have any suggestions for mice that solves my problems? The mouse should:

a) Solve Problems 1, 2, 3 (4 not so important)

b) Look good with my iMac G5 system (i.e. be white and look sweeet)

c) Preferrably be BT

Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated.

2. Ecodisk macrumors member

Ecodisk

I bought a mx1000 laser mouse and I love it. Its not white, but it is
    responsive (you could use it on sand paper if you wanted to), feels good, and has a scroll wheel.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I 2nd this. It's not white and it's not BT, but is is an amazing mouse. It is great to gaming too.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you can find one, a MacMice TheMouse BT has two buttons and a wheel and it looks like an apple mouse. The problem is it only tracks Okay on a mousepad, and pathetically with no mousepad. The other problem is that the company is now out of business.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

This story seems to indicate that they're not out of business.

6. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Anyone tried this?

Don't know about the flatness of the mouse (or it's gaming abilities), but I believe this logitech keyboard/mouse combo meets your appearance requirements.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Bluetooth....trackball? :eek:

8. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

You're going to have a helluva time finding a mouse that fits requirement b) there. But other then that, you definately want the mx1000.

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Ditto! the single button mac mouse is a nice idea but a serious user definately needs 3 buttons. mx1000 is pricey @$80 but worth it. I find its best feature is its weight. not too light and not too heavy. feels right in your hand. Very responsive and ergonomicaly comfortable. the charge lasts amost 2 days.

10. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

i like the latest Miccrosoft laser mouse... it is durable and comfortable to use...

the scroll wheel is very good!

11. Ecodisk macrumors member

Ecodisk

Wow it only lasts you 2 days when you have it charged :eek:

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Mine lasts a week at least. :confused:

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Never left it longer so Im not sure how long. Only lost 1 bar after the two days. I left it for 4 days over a long weekend and it was still charged but then again it was sleeping.

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

That Article is a year old. I'm pretty sure they're not making mice anymore. Find something more recent and I'll be led to believe otherwise, But I'm pretty sure they ran out of cash and sold what they had left to some chinese company.

15. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Another vote a Microsoft mouse - its the cheapest oem usb optical with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel, very comfortable, and its white. And I accidentally discovered that while cleaning it with some spirit cleaner that I could rub off the MS logo! Now if only I could accidentally discover how to put an Apple logo on it instead....
    And I have a MS BT mouse - batteries last for months.

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Can't go wrong with the MX1000. Highly recommended.

My charge lasts well over a week, sometimes two.

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I can vouch for the MX1000 too. Even with the seperate combined charger and wireless dongle it has. I just wish it was blue tooth so i could hide the dongle away and use it with both my computers at different times. I rarely have both on at once.

18. markiv810 macrumors regular

I have a logitech optical mouse that some times behaves erratically like would jump to the corner of the screen, would laser mouse have the same problem too.

19. cwright macrumors 6502a

20. cwright macrumors 6502a

My first MX1000 did that too... but not quite that bad. It would just jump an inch or so every few minutes. I called Logitech and they shipped out a new one immediately and the new one's fixed :)
    Yours may have the same problem. Call Logitech if it's still under warranty.

21. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Another vote for the MX1000. Awesome mouse, great feel, lots of buttons and superb tracking. Highly recommended.

22. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Oops you're right... I guess the fact that it's 2006 hasn't really sunk in yet. Looks like ChangYi now sells them.

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Optical and laser are different?

24. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

*crys* i love trackballs almost as much as i love trackpads. If you think I'm nuts, remember that I also love the hockey puck mouse, so it's normal. I think.

Anyway, it may be difficult to find everything you're looking for. Personally, I'd just say, "Do I want ergonomics or looks?". Once i decide, great. Ergonomics, plenty of mice fit that bill. Looks? First choice, Apple Mouse. Won't work, it's what you are complaining about. The looks criteria will be difficult to fulfil(sp) otherwise. I find that curvy shapes(e.g. ergonomic curvy, not puck mouse curvy) are often best in black. It may be a good contrast to the iMac. Sorry if I didn't help any.

25. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yet another vote for the MX1000...I really wanted a BT mouse so that I didn't have to take up a USB port, but couldn't find one I really liked.

Other than the non-BT issue, I LOVE my MX1000. Fits great in the hand, very precise, just the right weight, etc.

I think I picked mine up for ~$55 through Amazon a year ago, though they're selling it for $67 now.

I put mine on the charger just about every night, so I have no experience with battery life.