SICK of people moaning about the MacBook graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jun 2, 2006.

?

Are you sick of hearing about MacBook Graphics

1. YES - SHUT UP ALREADY

83 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. YES - GET A LIFE

29 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. WHAT's A MACBOOK?

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. NO - I CANT GET RID OF THIS CHIP ON MY SHOULDER

29 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I don't know about you guys, but frankly its getting a chore.

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

4. macrumors Core

5. macrumors 6502

Boggle

If you don't like a product just don't buy it. And if you did buy it w/o considering the graphics, there's nobody to blame but yourself. Nobody had a gun to your head.

6. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Don't buy laptops and expect l337 graphics. If the game runs without awful clipping and it going very slowly, then shut dee fook up.

7. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

I got a Macbook and was worried, but it's faster than my old Raedon 9000 so I'm at least happy. Faster running Halo in Rosette too.

8. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't pay much attention to these things, but the MacBook has integrated graphics, correct? And people are complaining about graphics not being good (or being slow) on a computer that really doesn't have graphics card?

9. macrumors 6502a

It's not like this is the first time Apple's used onboard "vampire" video solutions. Of course, you have to go all the way back to the PowerMac 5500 to find the last time they did it (2MB was reserved for onboard video, though it still played a fantastic game of Diablo)

source

10. macrumors Core

Dagless

"To get this good takes AGES"
    to DougTheImpaler's sig

on topic. Shut up.

11. Moderator emeritus

Considering that we'd already seen the Mac mini's integrated graphics, it could not have been a surprise to anyone who'd been watching. Also, the fact that the integrated graphics hardware generally performed better than the 5 year old graphics hardware already in place tells me that we're better off.

Would someone have been happier if it had been ATI Radeon x200 integrated graphics, though, as I've seen with a few Windows machines simply because it has a name other than Intel on it?

12. macrumors 68020

Raid

<sarcasm>Wow what a fair and unbiased poll....</sarcasm> :rolleyes:

While I'm not complaining all that much of the current performance of the card, my issue is the fact that once you by the machine, you can't upgrade it!

Years down the line the 'passible' performance of these cards are going to look pretty pathetic, then what do you do? Buy another with integrated graphics just to repeat the process? Or shell out extra cash up front to get that Pro Machine?

If Apple is serious about attracting all computer users why not provide a silightly higher priced, but more upgradable computers. Instead of pushing users up into the Pro line that can be a little expensive.

P.S. Please spare me the "Don't complain, buy a Pro machine." statments. It's unoriginal and doesn't address the issue.

13. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I love how there's two "yes" answers on this :D

I'm a "get a life" man myself...

There should also be a "Yes, but I'm too broke to pony up for a MBP" option.

14. macrumors 604

The thing that annoys me the most is that virtually all the complaining comes from people who not only don't own a MB or mini, in most cases they've never sat down at one and tried it out. Most of the whining is assumptions of how they imagine it should work, instead of how it really does work.

With most apps, even years down the road the video card isn't going to hinder performance. By the time the graphics performance becomes unacceptable for the GUI and general computing apps, the CPU and other system specs will be out of date as well.

Don't complain, buy a pro machine.

And shut up already.

15. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hearing and seeing all the defenders of cheapo graphics im convinced Apple could take a bag of Cow Poo Poo, slap the Apple label on it and people would screaming at the top of their lungs how it taste as good as steak and you dont need steak.:rolleyes: Integrated graphics are what they are.

16. macrumors 68040

decksnap

????
    Asked and aswered.
    :rolleyes:

Seriously though, why can't Apple sell us a core duo laptop with a 13" screen without making us buy this 'Macbook'? :rolleyes:

Exactly. Great for 99% of computing tasks. Gamers are a vocal minority.

17. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ok then. Buy a console! :D You could pick up a console for the price of two games today.

Well anyway, the iMac plays games nicely and that definitely isn't a "Pro Machine". The MacBook and Mini were born to be:

1) Small
    2) Quiet
    3) Light on power consumption
    4) Cheap

A dedicated graphics card that is noticeably faster than the GMA950 or the upcoming G965 would impact all four of them. Making the computer expandable would impact No. 1 and possibly No. 4.

18. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It's not our fault Apple put ****** graphics in their macbooks.

Blame Apple for our complaining.

19. macrumors 68020

Raid

Well the reason why I haven't got a Mac mini is because of the integrated graphics card! :p Do you own one? Would you own one (or feel better about your purchase) if you could upgrade the graphics? I have a feeling that most of you who want the complainers to "shut up" know that integrated graphics suck, but can't come up with anything better to say!

With the computers I buy I do upgrade the graphics and do notice better performance out of the machine. Now I to buy Pro machines, but that's because I can keep them running for ages with the occasional upgrades as performance demands increase.

So what I'm saying is I'll shut up when Apple makes me a fully upgradeable computer for around $1,200, or somebody ponies up the cash for me to by another Pro machine. :p :D

20. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Might be a while before either of those happens :p

I think people who need "power" are better off saving up for a "Pro". Not only will they have more power, but they would have future-proofed themselves meaning they can wait that little bit longer before they have to make another purchase.

21. macrumors 6502

xyian

We are the consumers. If we don't approve of something then we can affect the marketplace. If there are enough people that don't enjoy the integrated graphics then we can either voice our opinions to the company or refuse to purchase it. If the company sees that people aren't buying the product, then they will change it. It's as simple as that.:cool:

22. MRU
    thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you dont want a macbook with integrated graphics. Use your right to not buy one. Dont sit bitching over and over about what you should have.

Apple have given you a choice. Take it or leave it the decision is yours.

If you want to play more games, look at pc laptops.

Dont moan that you should be given the option, because you are. Blunt as it is, buy a macbook, macbook pro with the system specs clearly laid out, or dont buy at all. Entirely your choice, your control. No one is forcing you.

If gaming is critical spend the extra and get a macbook pro or a pc, but for the love of god - shut up whining.

23. MRU
    thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Damn why didn't I think of that :D

I also should have added,

'NO - If I make a lot of noise it will distract people from noticing my obvious short-comings'

24. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They did finally cave in and give iMac a decent GPU.:)but it took Apple years to figure it out. This is the gaming generation and yes Consumer is King! Yeah Baby Yeah!:D

25. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yeah... let's make fun of people who want better products from their favorite compant.

Makes sense to me.