Sick of seeing commercials at the movies?

Discussion in 'Community' started by voicegy, Feb 20, 2003.

1. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Personally, I DETEST seeing MORE AND MORE commercials before the previews start at theaters, and I actually yell out and boo when they run, usually getting the audience going as well.

I stumbled upon this last night, and it warmed my heart to the core:

Exhibitors Draw Fire on Pre-Movie Blurbs

High school teacher Miriam Fisch wants those four minutes of her life back -- and she thinks Loews Cineplex ought to pay for their alleged theft. In a class-action lawsuit filed in Illinois state court on behalf of all Loews patrons, the Chicago-area English teacher claims the theater circuit's policy of playing pre-film product commercials amounts to a deceptive business practice because the ads begin at the time advertised as the start of a feature movie.

All I can say is...You GO Girl.:D

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F55325C83

2. vniow macrumors G4

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

3. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

New movies suck. Ads are bad. Popcorn is good.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

the worst ad i ever saw at the movies was for Windows. eeew.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I personally haven't gone to a movie in years. I like to rent or buy. Lately have been building up a nice collection of DVD's, classic films. It's ironic that the theaters are charging you for the privlidge to watch commercials prior to a movie.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

theaters should do one of 2 things to set this straight.

1. charge less for the movies/popcorn/drinks.

or

2. get rid of the freaking commercials

few realize that theaters don't make any money off ticket sales really, hence the high price of concessions.... however, we KNOW they're making good money from these damn ads, so one or the other has to give....

and worst case. put them on BEFORE the start time... though of course here in nyc you have to get there 15 minutes early if you plan on not straining your neck the entire film.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The only real leverage that customers have is to boycott the theater.

8. pantagruel macrumors regular

when I saw an ad for alias at the movies, that I didnt mind, made sense actually. but ads for other things non-movie/tv wise suck big time. dont they make enough money so they dont have to show those?

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    here in los angeles there is a theatre called the arclight. they charge a liitle more for a ticket but there are NO commercials. also, the seating is reserved and the tickets can be purchased on-line.

also, they have ushers who will ask you to leave if your cell phone rings or you disturb the other patrons.

it is so worth the extra money...

the lawsuit doesn't stand a chance but i sure understand the motivation.

10. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Some theatre chains do start the ads before the posted start time (AMC for one), and it's a good idea.

I never liked seeing ads in the theatre -- not even the slide shows. But it's an unfortunate fact that most theatres probably couldn't survive without them.

Switching to an alternate perspective, I find it interesting that everyone, including me, differentiates between "commercials" (soda, television, sports) and "previews" (upcoming movies) when really they are ALL commercials...

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

i love the previews.... but I could understand someone not liking them.

12. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

The concessions at the movies are outrageous! The last time I went to a movie, about a month ago, I bought a small popcorn and a coke. I think that it was $7 or $8. I couldn't belive it. But, I gave in and payed for it. :D

Another thing that bothers me is when I order a small coke and they say, "you can get a medium for only $0.50 more." Sometimes I just feel like saying "If I wanted a medium, then I would have ordered it!"

Just my $0.02. :D

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I bet they are required to say that. And I bet you don't mind when
    they say 'you got 2 drinks and a popcorn, another popcorn comes
    free with our whatever deal, would you like another popcorn free?'
    ;)

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Oh man ArcLight RULES!!!!! They're so nice, even though you pay a little more (not that much of a difference, people in Los Angeles are used to paying a hell of a lot of money to go see a movie) and the overall experience is great.
    arclight

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I wonder if publishing separate start times would work. One for the commercials & previews, one for the movie. The commercials could still be watched by people who enter a long queue and just want to sit down as soon as possible.

16. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I wonder how much one of those tickets is. Anyone know?