Sick of waiting for a car.

Discussion in 'Community' started by jimsowden, Aug 24, 2005.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Indulge me. I've been working all summer and looking to get a car for the new school year in september. This would be my first, even though I'm 18. I've had an annoying amount of close calls and what not, but that is to be expected. I'm trying to get a higher milage e46 BMW 323i. (If you have one, please PM me) Seeing as how I'm going to be needing one soon, I started branching out into Audis, but no luck as well. I'm looking at some Japanese Automotives at the recomendation of my Dad, like the Honda Civic. I just don't see it comparing to a nice black bimmer though. Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Look for an old model Acura TL Type S. Damn good car, pretty good gas mileage and very fast in my opinion (260hp v-6 vtech). Out of all the cars my parents have owned over the years the Acura's have given us probably no problems at all while my mom's BMW, Caddy and my Jeep have many more issues from time to time.

jon

3. 173080 macrumors 6502

Are you a true enthusiast who would appreciate the refined and performance-oriented experience the BMW could provide or you just want one "because its pretty"?

If its the former, you will find it very difficult to sway from BMW to other brands especially if you have already driven the Bimmer. I'm sure you would be happier if you settled for a slightly older E36 or E39 than a newer Acura. I know I would be.

If you just want one because "you'd look cool in a bimmer" then I suggest you go drive a comparably priced Acura after driving the BMW and if you can't tell an obvious difference then the Acura would be a good choice.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what about an older lexus GS their fast esp the GS 430/400 and look good. Or a lexus IS 300

5. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I'm definitly looking at e36s. I just love the bimmer feel and sound. The look (and looks) are just added pluses. AHH, why am i doing this to myself?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe you're aiming a bit high for an 18 year old. I don't know your financial situation or how much your parents give you, but I wouldn't get a car that's too old just because it's a BMW or Acura or anything of the sort if I wasn't 100% sure I could pay for maintenance and replacement of parts. On a Bimmer, these components may cost a lot.

I'd think about going the Acura route as well.

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

$4? $5? $6 a gallon? What will it take you to go green and get THIS?

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Are you buying the car or are you a spoiled rich kid?

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Oh boy I was waiting for this. I wonder if he know the insurance differences between the BMW and the Civic? Add to that the maintenance differences!

Anyways, I drive a Saab (second one), when I was looking for it I also tried out BMW's, Audi's, MB's, you name it. There are no looks with a BMW. Maybe when you first get it you'll have some oohs and ahhs, but that's true with any car. If I were you, and I had the proper amount of money, I'd look at a MB C320. It's a coupe (good for HS and College so you don't become the DD), it's fast, it's good on gas, and you WILL get looks in it. Trust me, a MB seems to be more impressive than a BMW to the lay person.

Anyways, I'm getting off kilter here. Again, look to the Audi. Quattro. Say it again, Quattro. It's beautiful, especially as an inexperienced driver (which you are until you take a race car driving course) who wants to go fast.

Finally, the saab (which I ended up with). The new 9-3, although a beautiful looking car, doesn't have what I love about the old 9-3. The ability to carry lots and lots of stuff. Ontop of that, I get 35 MPG on the highway AND it's faster than a 323i (think pretty slow in the world of european sedans). The 9-5 is large (I used to have a 9000 which is the old 9-5 basically in size and model spot) and blah (my mother has one).

Anyways, cheers on choosing a car.

BEN

10. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Just curious, how much do you actually make a year?

I don't know why any teenager should have a $30,000 car. Why not put a down payment on a condo or something and pick up a used Civic instead?

11. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

A teenager driving a BMW or any expensive flashy car has to remember a couple things.

1. Insurance
    2. Maint. ($$$$)
    3. Repairs
    4. Speed Limit (I know)

Especially if a teenage boy, that jacks up your insurance. Do you do good in school. Did you take driver's edu.

Getting a high mileage BMW (or any car for that matter) will only result in repair costs and such. Fuel pump, alternator, starter solinoid, air conditioning, transmission, etc. European cars cost a ton to fix here in the U.S.

If you really want luxery get an Acura or maybe an Infiniti. They are sporty fun cars. The Acuras will last forever. The infiniti G35 is an aweosme car and the I35 (I had as a rental once- basically an old style nissan maxima) is sooo quiet. I don't really know what your price range is though.

Used Jaguar X-types are cheap too. I had one a while ago. It was a fun little car. It featured the nice prowl of the Jaguar under the hood :). AWD standard. Not the most reliabe car, but better than the old Jags.

Check autotrader.com or cars.com

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you need a car to get a chick, I pitty you.

Sushi

14. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Where did people get this idea from? He's working all summer and he wants a "higher mileage" BMW. They aren't that expensive -- well within the range of a smart kid's summer earnings...as low as $3000. I'd hardly call a '93 bimmer an "expensive flashy car".

Also, recommending a Jaguar...totally non sequitur. How can you say the above and then recommend a Jaguar!? Those are the worst cars on the road.

Of course, everybody is right about the maintenance on BMWs...its very high.

15. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

hmm....

the idea of a car is to get you places. Beamers get you places the same as pretty much any other car. If you are rolling in it and can afford to fix up beamers, go for it. If you are a uni student with stuff all income, go for a cheap second-hand car with low fuel (or gas, as the Americans like to call it) usage.

Going for a car with high milage is a bad idea, because the older the engine gets the more you have to get it repaired to keep it running. Especially a German car like a BMW, Merc or Audi, with their high repair costs.

I want my first car to be a second-hand Holden Barina (Vauxhall Corsa etc). great little car with good economy, suprisingly spacious inside. Every car after that is going to be a hybrid. Fuel is too expensive:p

16. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yeah......then she is in for your money not you ;)

17. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Like some of the other have said, get an Acura or Infiniti. Those are as nice as a BMW, and last much longer. And to top it off, they are cheaper to fix. You can take an Infiniti to your local Nissan dealership to have work done much cheaper then the upscale Infiniti dealership. A friend of mine has a early 90's Q45, with 270,000 something miles on it. Its rusted and beat to ****, but the damn thing just won't die. The same is true with Acuras.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that so bad? :p

jimsowden, settle for nothing less than a BMW. :)

19. iGary Guest

iGary

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So very true.

...and then comes along another with more money and off she goes! :eek:

Sushi

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not at all as long as you love to pay, and pay, and pay, and pay...

Kind of like a revolving charge account that you never can to pay off.

BTW, been there done that that is why I know all too well.

Sushi

22. Bakey macrumors 6502

I'm pretty certain he's quoting a movie!! But I can't remember which one... ;)

There's a bit of a clue in that the phrase has been surrounded by quotation marks... :rolleyes:

Anyway, what's an Acura!?! UK boy says don't touch a Beemer unless it's either an M3 or an M5... okay, I know I'm not being helpful here!! ;)

What about a Celica? or an MR2 [or as you guys call them MR-S]?

Fairly cheap to insure, good MPG, got the looks and they're Japanese which usually means they don't fall apart like European cars... recent 'Which' style reports of the top ten cars in the UK were all Japanese with a couple of Korean models thrown in for good measure, the only European car to make it into the top ten was Merc bang at number 10!! The Honda Civic took the accolade of first place...

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Who cares if he is a spoiled rich kid. If he or his parents can buy him one then why not. He is asking us opinions on cars, not his wallet :rolleyes:.

jon

24. iGav macrumors G3

A Honda basically.

25. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Because if I were his parent and he asked me to buy him a BMW, I'd laugh at him in the face and tell him to get a job and buy it himself.
    :D