Sick of waiting for Ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Danzsupreme, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. Danzsupreme macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    #1
    Is it worth waiting for an Ibook, for what i see the updates arent that significant. The only thing that has me torn is that they may come out with a widescreen version. People tell me to wait until WWDC, but im so sick of waiting i was up all night checking the apple store for the updates and all that come out where powermacs. What to do???
     
  2. ErinGoBragh macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    Carrboro, NC
    #2
    I'm right there with you. The waiting is making me crazy and obsessive, but I just can't see buying now only to find out in a few weeks that I could have gotten an upgraded model for the same price or cheaper.

    WWDC is so far away, though!
     
  3. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

    rhpenguin

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2003
    Location:
    London, Ontario
    #3
    Chalk another one down for sick of waiting for a new iBook.... Apple has not given me a good enough reason to upgrade from my current iBook and i want something with atleast 64mb of VRAM before i bite the bullet and upgrade. I could go to a Powerbook but i find the iBook more pleasing to the eye..

    I better see an upgraded iBook by wwdc!
     
  4. Danzsupreme thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    #4
    Your right a 12 inch powerbook is looking mighty good right now, even though i would get a 14" Ibook
     
  5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

    StarbucksSam

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2004
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #5
    If they came out with something slightly closer in speed to the powerbook with a better graphics card (i.e 1.4ghz with a 64MB card) I'd consider an iBook.
     
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #6
    Count me in, if they updated the iBooks tomorrow I'd get one alongside a new iMac. An 800MHz G4 just doesn't really impress me anymore but the jump to 1.2GHz isn't quite enough for me either. :(

    Meh, I know I'm hard to please.
     
  7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #7
    I would wait untill the iBooks ship with a programmable graphics card (to utilize Core Image)... it cannot be that long before they're updated... (I've even gone out on a limb and guessed that something might even happen tomorrow or Friday, but that might be overly optimistic... ;))

    I currently use a 12" iBook G4@800MHz and I'll upgrade to another 12" iBook (or maybe 12" PB), but NOT untill they're updated... I might even wait for them to have a new generation CPU... and I'll have to be able to afford it... and both those things might take while, as it seems right now... :(

    I'm not sure the iBooks will get a widescreen, though... unlikely...
     
  8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #8
    I recently tried a Mac mini @1.2GHz, and had it standing next to my iBook G4@800, and the mini smoked my iBook... I didn't expect the difference to be that great... after that my poor, old, reliable iBook has felt very slow... :eek: ...and the need for an upgrade has grown... ;)

    Edit: ...I hope that Tiger (whenever my EDU Family pack is shipped from Apple Store) will give it a long overdue facelift... ;)
     
  9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

    StarbucksSam

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2004
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #9
    I am used to my iMac 800 G4... so whatever I get will be an upgrade.. but I want something that is going to last me a while. My 800 was outdated like three months after I got it.
     
  10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #10
    I got mine in November 2003, right after they were announced... but I don't concider it outdated, even now, after all it has a G4 onboard... but it has become slow... ;)
     
  11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #11

    Thanks, that's really promising. But I'm still hanging out for a better GPU regardless. BTW, the mini was obviously newer so did it have more free disk space or higher RAM or anything like that? Do you really reckon the 400MHz increase makes all that much of a difference? I hope so.
     
  12. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2003
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    Here's to waiting for an iBook. I just hope it's June and not September. I managed to convince my wife... but tiger is going to have to wait until it comes with the iBook.... whenever the upgrades come. Doh!
     
  13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #13
    I actually think the 50% faster CPU has a lot to do with it. I have ~6 GB free HD space on my iBook so it should not matter too much, but of course, a brand new freshly installed system should be faster than a year and a half old install (which has taken more than one beating)...
     
  14. ifjake macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    #14
    i got shafted with my powerbook. i bought the last Ti 15 in model like 2 weeks before the Aluminum ones came out because i didn't know any better. it was actually really lame of Apple the way they released that. it came out in like the middle of september right after all the new college students like me had to get the old model in time for school (this is like two years ago). so if i were anyone wanting to buy any new apple computer no matter what the model, i would wait until right after they upgraded, that way none of those this-sucks-two-weeks-later-they-release-a-new-one happens.
     
  15. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    #15
    Yup, I'm chilling here for a new 12". I'm getting impatient. In my opinion new ibooks will be released either tommorow (Thursday) or Tuesday so they can come pre-installed with Tiger and all. This is what I'm guessing the specs will be on the stock 12" iBook:

    1.33 Ghz G4 Processor
    512MB RAM
    64MB Video Card
    40GB Hard Drive
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 and Airport Extreme

    I really hope these features here will be in the stock base model cause I want to buy it from Best Buy I don't want to do no BTO.
     
  16. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2005
    #16
    I can guarantee that we will not see any upgrades to the iBook at WWDC. WWDC is a developers conference not a consumer conference (like paris). If anything we would see a powerbook upgrade at WWDC (*crossing fingers*). However paris seems too far away for an upgrade to the iBook, so I would really bet that we will see one in the next 2 weeks. Right now the iMac and eMac's have the highest ship times of 5 - 7 days so I would guess a announcement sometime later this week or early next week. Although the ibooks have a 1-3 day ship time, almost all the other lines have them too, so I would think that has to do with tiger.
     
  17. mersea macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2005
    #17
    Thats all I want... I'd buy one now, but it irks me that Core Image wouldn't work to its fullest extent.. I wish they'd hurry up and update them already!! I'm sick of waiting :(
     
  18. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #18

    Im not so sure about that. The update times for all Apple computers have been very long lately, the current eMac is over a year old for instance. Powerbooks/PowerMacs were a long time coming so is the next revision of the iMac. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see an iBook update around the time of the NEXT Powerbook update, which is probably some way off :eek:
     

Share This Page