Sick to death of...

Discussion in 'Games' started by spencecb, Aug 11, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

WarCraft III ****ing up on my iMac G5. I have had ongoing problems with this game locking up during online gameplay. I'm sure some of you have read my posts before about this issue.

Well, I finally decided to Zero out my HDD on my iMac G5 and reinstall OS X. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

I just find it completely unacceptable that I can't play this game on very capable hardware. I'm sick of playing it on my MBP because the performance leaves something to be desired because of Rosetta.

Just really fed up and annoyed at the fact that I have to do this just to play a ****ing game on my iMac. And it is even more annoying because I can't do a simple Archive and Install because I want to make sure the problem is gone from the HDD or wherever the corruption is.

Sorry, just my rant. If anyone is curious, I will update this once I have re-installed OS X and got my iMac back up and running. I will be on my MBP until then so I will be on the forums.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Couldn't you play it under windows on your macbook pro? IT would preform better :)

I doubt you would have to go so far ast o reinstall os X maybe just the game instead? But whatever hope it works for you in the end.

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I have no desire to install Windows on my MacBook Pro. For one, that is an expensive way to solve the problem. Number two, as stated above, there is no reason that I should not be able to play WarCraft on my iMac.

Just an update: I did reinstall OS X and everything works fine now. So, yes, it was a problem with OS X. There was obviously something that had been corrupted.

And why in the world do you think that WarCraft III would perform better using Windows? The game is four years old. I am playing it on a G5. The G5 has absolutely no problem playing a game like this. It has plenty of muscle to flex.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Firstly, I have warcraft 3 on my g5 installed for a year and a half now, and I have experienced no problems whatsoever. Also, warcaft 3 will perform better on your macbook of you use it under windows rather that under rosetta, because by using windows, you get rid of the rosetta emulation.

Just wait until Blizzard updates the game to utilise the Intel Processors.

5. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Well, you are lucky. Something is just fundamentally wrong with my iMac. I thought the problem was solved today since I zeroed out my HDD and reinstalled OS X, but WC3 locked up my system again today.

Also, I know it would run better under windows ony my MacBook Pro because of Rosetta, but I do not own Windows, nor do I want to. I already stated that in my other post.

And I do not believe Blizzard has any plans on releasing WC3 as a Universal Binary. Not to mention, I should be able to use my iMac to play this game. Obviously you people do not understand how incredibly frustrating this is.

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well I don't have a solution to your problem but I hope you get it resolved. If I were you I would just deal with any performance problems and play it on your MBP. Good luck on fixing your problem though.

7. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Did you try repairing permissions first?

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

Works fine and fast on my G5imac 2.0 with 1.5 gigs of ram...

Paul

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I reckon it'd run faster on Windows two. Aren't the old Warcraft discs hybird too. I think it was just a suggestion really...

10. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Your RAM could be fubar. If you stick to relatively simple tasks outside of WC3 than it may never touch the bad sector of RAM. However when you launch WX3 it wants to use everything it can/Once it hits that bad sector and can't get out of it, WC3 may not know how to handle that kind of problem/error and crashes. The finder and some more robust apps may be able to handle it or else have longer time outs on it so that OSX can re-negotiate the placement in RAM.

I don't know if anything I just said is plausible, but might be worth a shot to try and trouble shoot or test. Rember is a freeware app that will test your RAM. I'm unaware how effective it is at finding all problems, but it's what has been recommended to me as well as by OWC/MacSales tech support.

11. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I see alot of complaining and alot of going about things the hard way (reinstalling the OS is a last resort, not a first) but I don't see any troubleshooting. I don't see people booting from the restore disc to run the AHT. dextertangocci made a good point about repairing permissiongs, though I doubt that would have helped...it is, however, much easier and faster than reformatting and reinstalling, which didn't help, and I have a feeling the AHT would have said so.