Sick, wounded U.S. troops held in squalor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 18, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. g5man macrumors newbie

This is terrible.

Maybe this is why they asked for $87 Billion.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

doesn't seem to be the case:
    link

4. g5man macrumors newbie

I don't know, but if these soldiers are back from Iraq I would assume money used for Iraq would be used for the treatment of soldiers coming back from Iraq.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Wishful thinking I'm afraid, gw & co. have done everything they can to reduce gi and vet benefits. I'm sure there is nary a mention of injured vets' medical needs in the $87 billion.

The amount of wounded has overwhelmed the miltary. Once again there was no pre-war planning for the wounded. All that I've heard, which has been in dibs and drabs leads me to believe that VA Hospitals and military Hospitals are hellish places these days. Many of the docs are in Iraq leaving a shortage on base and little or no accomodation is being made for the returning wounded. WHat is most shameful is a repeat of Gulf War I syndrome. DU is a serious health threat and the respiratory problems, flu, etc, are signs of its impact. It looks as though the military is once again going to claim "pre-existing conditions". Very, very sad that so many people in the prime of their lives are being cut down because of pentagon idiocy and the general lack of concern for the troops welfare.

6. Pinto macrumors newbie

maybe if Halliburton moved into medical care, the money might be spent:D

just not enough profit to be worth spending the money.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hmm... we were told to shut up and support our troops once the fighting began.

I guess the same doesn't apply to this administration.

8. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

That certainly seems to be the case. At least they're lucky enough to be back in the US. According to my father, several soldiers have been denied medical care, he being one of them. He came home last month for a couple weeks of convalesence. He had developed Basal Cell Carcinoma on the calf of his right leg. He'd had it before, so he recognized it right away. It started out a rough patch of skin, about the size of a dime. He was denied any treatment until it had grown to about 3" in diameter, and even so they had to send him to Germany for treatment - he would have had to wait a full week after that point for a US Army transport had the bombing on the UN not occurred the same day - he was transprted to Germany via UN transport.

It really is just an unfortunate mess, one that could easily have been prevented with a bit of advanced planning. That seems to be one thing the administration completely neglected to do.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ah! Good old basal cell carcinoma! Ain't Efudex great stuff? I just wish it didn't give me the galloping itch. "I'm gonna take up beekeeping; I already have the hives."

I've had three BCMs cut off; I've self-treated darned near a dozen more. Got three or so, now, that I'll start on before long.

'Rat

10. g5man macrumors newbie

I don't know if any of the $87 billion will go towards any additional expenses incurred here in the US as a result of the two conflicts. However, I spoke to a VA Administrator who is the general consul for a large VA hospital. His facility has not experienced any MD shortages as a result of the Iraq war. They had meetings in anticipation of such a situation but this problem has not come up and he is not aware of any such problem in the US VA system.

Most enlisted soldiers are treated in active duty facilities and there may be a shortage in those facilities.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I thought I saw something briefly as I was passing a TV where someone was saying the Pentagon had reversed its earlier decision about no more care available, and said they managed to "find" some more funds or personnel or something. I'll try to find a link, but I'v been swamped these last few days...

12. g5man macrumors newbie

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
    OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE
    Defense Health Program
    For an additional amount for "Operation and Maintenance, Defense Health Programs," $658,380,000.
    This supplemental request would provide $525.2 million for health care for activated reserve forces and their families. The remaining $133.2 million would support Defense Health Program funded post-casualty care, aeromedical evacuation, and deployed medical staff support not covered by other operational resources.

This is part of what I found. Here is the link to the rest of the funding request broken down by specific area.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Today's Atlanta "Constitution" had an article about this. An Inspector General group is going to Fort Stewart to see what's the deal.

A comment in the article said that it's where the 3rd Infantry has returned to. The available space was predicated upon the numbers for peacetime active troops. These extras from the NG and/or Reserves have (apparently) overloaded the place.

The Army has been pulling doctors from other bases, and has been getting civilian doctors to come there. (Dunno for how long.)

As usual, the gripes and alleged horribles always show up first. While I don't doubt there are problems, I imagine that as usual the worst interpretation is what gets published first.

The gripers should have seen the US Army hospital in Yong Dong Po, back in 1954...

But, when you do all that down-sizing of the 1990s, a lot of the infrastucture goes all to hell...

Ah, well. Kipling wrote about it, over 100 year ago. "When the shooting ends, the C-S begins." Oops; that wasn't Kipling. That was a GI in Korea--if not in WW II or WW I or...Well, maybe it WAS Tommy Atkins.

'Rat

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

When you have a HUGE surplus in your budget because of that downsizing you should be able to spend a little more flexibly. Like, for say, a war and medical care for your returning wounded troops.

Oh, I almost forgot. The surplus went to more important things. Like rich people's bank accounts.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, come off it, pseudobrit. You're bound to know more about governmental budgeting and spending than that.

Even during the military budget increases of the Reagan era, lotsa stuff fell through the cracks. One place, it might be ammo for small arms training. Somewhere else, it might be aircraft spares. Other places, maintenance of unused buildings.

When that sort of stuff happens in budget "good times", what do you think happens in downturns? It's an age-old and unending problem. And regardless of new money flowing in, there is the inevitable lag time between finding a problem and completing the action to solve it. Real life ain't a blooming TV program, with neat and happy endings in 22 or 44 minutes.

'Rat