Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
iisaa.png

Last edited:

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks for the comparison. Google's map looks more informative. I like simplistic, but I think that's a bit too simple of a map on the Apple side.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I just looked at it on my iPhone. I thought if I zoomed in one more time, it'll display more street names.

I guess thats why its Beta 1. More streets will be added about time GM is out...we hope.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I much prefer apples version. (you can zoom in to see the street names btw.)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I notice that Google shows traffic info at that level and there's none for Apple's map app. Hmm.

I turn on traffic for that exact location, but it didn't display. I guess its still bugs with it.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I turn on traffic for that exact location, but it didn't display. I guess its still bugs with it.

Yeah, hopefully we can chalk that up to just being in beta.

----------

Is it me, or is it missing a body of water between york way and caledorian(sp) st?

Gosh, I really WANT to love Apples implementation more... but as I continue seeing more pics of it, I just don't like it.

I dunno, maybe it will turn out to be better in actual use or on the final release. But looking at that picture it's like night and day.

Google has much more detail regarding the water and greenery. The colors of the green and water and much more pleasant. The roads are much easier to see and gauge better perspective to relative size. And then of course more information.

I know Apple's implementation is a work in progress, and I will hold out final verdict till I actually play with it and see how it interacts... but right now I am a little let down. Especially now that I know navigation and flyover won't even be supported on my iPhone 4!! (doesn't bother me too much though because I'll be upgrading with the 5 ;) )

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I have to agree sadly that Apple's cartography and digitising standards are poor. I've seen examples of side roads in Hybrid mode that extend out to the centreline of the main road.

I work in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) for a living and am highly critical of Google Maps, prefering OS Streetview (cartographically more elegant), but G Maps are way better than Apple's.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Just remember that maps is Google's playground for the last couple of years. Of course the first version of anything other "what's currently best" (and what people are used to) won't be as top notch, but give it some time.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Apples map looks terrible compared to Google, who has been at map making quite a bit longer than Apple. I'm sure Apple's maps will get better over time, but at tho time there is no comparison.

Apple map=fail

go ahead with the flames. I'm sure someone will like the Apple map better because it is from Apple. Never fails.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Apples map looks terrible compared to Google, who has been at map making quite a bit longer than Apple. I'm sure Apple's maps will get better over time, but at tho time there is no comparison.

Apple map=fail

go ahead with the flames. I'm sure someone will like the Apple map better because it is from Apple. Never fails.
But it's provided by TomTom not Apple...

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Just remember that maps is Google's playground for the last couple of years. Of course the first version of anything other "what's currently best" (and what people are used to) won't be as top notch, but give it some time.

I think that's a poor excuse to be honest. It also means Apple have had plenty of time to watch and learn and hopefully improve on any of google maps mistakes just like they did with the iPhone.

Other people were making smart phones long before Apple and they then came out of nowhere with the iPhone and shook the competition.

Apple maps looks awful end of.

naltst*

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
I agree that their maps look pretty ropey at the moment but hopefully that will continue to improve?...

Nice to see the curvature of the earth come into play as you zoom out though - for once maps aren't flat, more like google earth that google maps...

And I like the 3d contours even if not the buildings - again very google earthy but not very useful!

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
But it's provided by TomTom not Apple...

Tim said that Apple is doing their on cartography. They are using TomTom and many other sources for data such as roads, streets, landmarks, etc. but they are drawing their own maps. The look of the maps is completely Apple's (except in satellite view where again they are using data from various sources.)

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Apples version looks like from the 80s.

Lets not be fanboys here people. Google Maps is better.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I see many things missing in apples' map example; needs some water bodies, forks in the streets and it looks like the streets are longer/shorter than their counterpart; of course both are set to different zoom levels though.

pedroj451

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I think Google maps looks far superior. I use maps more on my ipad than on my iPhone 4 and I will really miss street view as a method of checking Of where I'm going.

Hopefully Google will come out with an IOS maps app. On release of ios 6.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
I was skeptical at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I'm an iPhone 4 owner and I'm bummed that I lost street view functionality. Search is much better in the new maps though, ties in with yelp nicely.

Clinteastman

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Sutton Coldfield
One thing to point out is Apples street maps are vector based with some clever street name scaling and display on zooming. Screen shots don't really do it justice. Sat imagery isn't as good though.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
It's odd that portions of the waterways are simply missing from the Apple version, along with the rail lines. Hopefully, they will work this out before the final release.

For now, it looks just like a TomTom GPS map, and there's a reason I keep a Garmin in my car instead...

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
One thing to point out is Apples street maps are vector based with some clever street name scaling and display on zooming. Screen shots don't really do it justice. Sat imagery isn't as good though.

Google maps have been vector based for a few years now. Maybe not on iOS but that's not Googles fault.

I see many things missing in apples' map example; needs some water bodies, forks in the streets and it looks like the streets are longer/shorter than their counterpart; of course both are set to different zoom levels though.
If you take a look at the edges of the maps they are at more or less identical zoom levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.