Side by Side Photos of iPad 2 and iPad 3 Casing Shows Gradual Taper and Slightly More Thickness

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MICGadget posts a roundup of circulating iPad 3 rumors, and also includes a few better side-by-side shots of what is believed to be the new iPad 3 back enclosure and the iPad 2 one.

[​IMG]

Seen on top of each other, the iPad 3 does appear to have a more gradual taper to the edges than the iPad 2. The difference in size, however, is said to be minimal but seems exaggerated in this shot above due to the staggered positioning of the casings. The next shot shows that the difference in thickness is only 1-1.5mm, with the iPad 3 enclosure being slightly thicker than the iPad 2.

[​IMG]

MICGadget also confirms that the iPad 3 camera lens hole is "noticeably larger", suggesting that there has been some improvement in the camera quality, though they seem to question whether or not it will make it all the way to 8 Megapixels as claimed by one publication.

These same iPad 3 enclosures have been seen in the hands of many sites now. It's not uncommon for parts and enclosures to leak out of Apple's supply chain as production of new products ramp up. The iPad 3 is believed to be in manufacturing at this time with an expected announcement date on March 7th.

Article Link: Side by Side Photos of iPad 2 and iPad 3 Casing Shows Gradual Taper and Slightly More Thickness

2. macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I don't care about whether or not it's thicker than an iPad 2. The important thing is whether it's substantially heavier.

3. macrumors 603

troop231

I think I speak for everyone here, release the damn thing already Apple! :p or at least sell us a KIT!!

4. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Much better than the pic posted the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the real thing.

5. macrumors 68020

miamialley

I was worried hearing the 3 would be thicker than the 2, but if the 2nd photo is any indication, I'm okay with the casing. I don't know what to make of that first picture.

6. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

they are staggered, which makes it look weird.

[​IMG]

arn

7. macrumors 6502a

How has Apple not killed off everyone involved in the theft of the casing yet? Clearly things have changed since Jobs' passed away...

8. macrumors 65816

If thicker not buying. Nuff said

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I guess cause millions of these things are rolling off assembly lines in China. Hard to keep track of every one.

And it's not a new phenomenon.

arn

10. macrumors 6502

bb426

Thanks Arn for the better pic. You should put that on the story... looks much better.

iPad 3 = My first iPad. Can't wait two more weeks!!!!

11. macrumors 68000

Oh no it's bigger. :(

12. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

With so many leaks, I wonder if you aren't going to be able to just assemble your own iPad 3.

13. macrumors 68000

My bet is the change in taper was done to correct the one flaw that I immediately noticed while in line on launch day of the iPad 2. The smart cover doesn't stick when folded around the back. To get it to stick they needed to add a magnet to hold it open without setting off the hall effect sensor. Oh and also it will make it feel thinner in the hand even though it's thicker than the iPad 2

14. macrumors regular

macse30

Meh. Backside does nothing for me. Full frontal please.

15. macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

I dont care if its substantially heavier. The important thing is whether it will play flash content :D

----------

:rolleyes:

16. macrumors newbie

That's what she said!!! ZING:D

17. macrumors 6502a

Flash? This isnt a thread from 2010. I thought we got rid of you? lol
    (I am just joking)

18. macrumors 68000

Actually looks worse than the first iPad thicker but still the curve design?

Horrible :(

19. macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

lol.. nice try.. ok fine.. who cares about flash.. what i really want is wireless tethering for my Canon SLR without jailbreaking and a CF card adapter would be great too. Live view!?

20. macrumors member

yes!

love the rumours that keep popping out everyday.
    Thank You Arn.

Credit Card Pulled out and put under the monitor :D

21. macrumors regular

C00rDiNaT0r

I wonder what made it marginally thicker, the camera (more pixels?), bigger battery (for certain new, slightly more power-hungry components), or new screen (is it thicker than the iPad2's)? Or some combination of the 3? Too many questions at once?? :confused:

22. macrumors 6502a

I think if it is a little lighter than the iPad 2 (even just a couple grams or so) then it is a big win. I kind of like the more tapered edge even though it is a blatant ruse by Apple to keep it from "looking" thicker than the iPad 2. Clever though. I think it will fit better in the hand than the 2.

23. macrumors 68000

If the rumours are true then the screen made it bigger and maybe battery.

But that above picture why does the iPad 3 not have a speaker has it moved?

I'm not sure this one is real as the last leaked imagine shows an iPad 3 looking more silver. This one looks like the iPad 1 material.

24. macrumors 603

troop231

Not sure if this helps show the radius more (sorry for crappy job):

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I disagree. Frontside does nothing for me. I'm more of a derrière man. :eek: