Sidekick 3 and Mac Don't Get Along

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dan-o-mac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

It look like my Sidekick 3 needs some crutches because T Mobile crippled this damn thing. I can't send or recieve files via bluetooth, and it doesn't sync with iSync. It won't let me use my mp3's as ringtones, I have to purchase them from T Mobile. I pretty much hate everything about the phone, from the cheap plastic quality(made by Sharp), size, dropped calls, low resolution screen, inconsistant online service, USB 1.1, camera is crap, lack of third party apps. The only thing I do like is the instant messenger services, and the fact that I have 14 days to return it. :D

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

T-Mobile really crippled the SK3. The SK/Hiptop does not support Bluetooth song transfer/Sync. iSync is not used to sync the device. T-Mobile disabled the MP3 as a ringtone feature. To add songs, plug in via USB and then just drag the music file to the mounted device. If you want to sync contacts etc you'll want Missing Sync For Hiptop. It uses the Internet to sync your contacts, etc with Danger's end servers where all your data is stored (it is not stored on your device, other than MP3s and Camera pics you chose to store on your memory card). I hear it works with Sidekick 3 just fine.

It has great potential, too bad T-Mobile crippled it.

3. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Well I just got home from work and still no connection. :mad: And I just discovered i cannot send or recieve picture messages. :mad: Thanks for the tips and links steve hopefully someone will get some use out of it, I won't because I'll be returning the Sidekick in the morning. I usually reasearch a product before a purchase. This was a total impulse buy and I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon.

4. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I would suggest something like a Treo 650 or maybe a Nokia with Symbian.

5. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Hmmm...that's interesting. I still use SK1 (I know...) and don't really like SK2 but not sure about SK3. I'm a bit disappoint about SK3: low-res screen, 8mb email, destructible, no high-speed internet and no video relay service! :mad:

Anyone here in this thread is deaf? Just curious. :D

6. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Picture messages can be sent through email to another person's text/picture messaging. This list gives you a list of the email addressed for all carriers. Just type in their number and add the extension for the carrier, attach pictures or sounds etc and you're set.

The reason the Sidekick does not have MMS is because the APN used for T-Mobile MMS is wap.voicestream.net or something similar, but because of the way the Sidekicks specialized data works, it uses the APN hiptop.danger.com. The MMS wouldn't work correctly.

The save MP3 as a ringtone feature is missing because T-Mobile took it out. They make money off of you buying ringtones from the catalog, and this is simply a case of greed.

I've tried the MDA but I keep going back to Sidekick because of its keyboard. It is the best one I have ever used on a mobile device and nothing else really comes close.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've never used the sidekick, is the keyboard really that much better than the mda? I have the cingular version of the mda and I love it!
    Anyway, the missing sync for the sidekick is your best bet.

8. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Yeah, it really is. If you've used it before for extended times, going to something else is next to impossible, especially a phone without a keyboard. The MDA (vario) is a great phone feature wise and the keyboard is closer to the Sidekick's more than any other, but it still doesn't really compete.

I carry both with me, but I use the Sidekick 95% of the time.

9. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

What about recieving picture messages, how does that work? How about backround pictures, can you use your own or is it another thing T-mobile is looking to cash in on? What about an alarm clock. This is the first phone I've purchased without one. What's up w/ that?

10. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Just have the person send the picture message to yourusername@tmail.com, or if they just enter your phone number you'll get a message that a picture message is waiting for you on tmobilepictures.com. Backround pictures, T-Mobile also will be banking in on this soon. Alarm clock, set an event in the Calendar and set it to set off an alarm. Time Traveler/Alarm clock app will be available soon.

It's T-Mobile's ultimate cashcow.

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm thinking about switching to T-Mobile and getting a Sidekick or a Pebl. Is the Sidekick II a better device than the Sidekick 3? Or would I be better off getting an SDA or MDA?

12. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

It really depends on your needs. What will you be using it for mostly? I've owned all of the above except a Pebl.

13. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I suppose I don't really need anything fancy, but it would be nice to have internet and all that stuff. I IM my friends a lot on my mac, maybe it'd be nice to have that on the go.

14. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

If instant messaging is your thing, the Sidekick is really good at that. I've yet to see an IM program on another cell phone that comes close. It has YIM, AIM, and MSN. The internet is really fast if you have EDGE coverage in your area (no extra cost to use EDGE). You can check that here. Overall, for what you want I think you'd like the Sidekick.

15. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Gotta agree with you here. As much as I hated the Sidekick the one thing I did enjoy was the IM.

16. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

The MDA and the SDA are still VERY buggy, they can't really do anything except crash right now.

One of the amazing features are the Over-the-air updates, where the software on the phone updates automatically with bug fixes, etc. I'll have a SK3 in hand by the end of the week, hopefully.

17. cloudblood84 macrumors regular

cloudblood84

18. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Yeah, I might go with that. My Samsung A670 on Verizon (aka the worst network) has an AIM, MIM, and YIM client and it's just too slow to use. You can't even use T9Word to type!

Does the PEBL have an IM client? Also, is TMobile pretty good here? I plan on travelling a lot, which is why I'm switching.

(P.S. nice Southwest photo, skoker!)

19. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I second the Symbian comment- I have had a Nokia for a little over a year (3300 or something like that) and it rocks! gets wonderfully with my mac and Symbian is awesome- nothing beats having an NES emulator on your phone. :)

So what's the deal with the MDA? Is is really that buggy? My cousin just ordered one and I really would like one (my Nokia has taken one fall too many). Are they mac friendly? Bluetooth headset friendly? Anyone have any hands on with them in those regards?

20. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I do like the Nokias, but not the ones here. My brother, when we went to Asia, was given a Nokia 3250 international phone and it was a the coolest!

I don't think you can sync an MDA to a mac because it does run WindowsMobile5. Any deets, anyone?

21. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Not exactly sure why you think this. Windows Mobile 5 is very stable. The only thing is the MDA's weak processor (for a Windows phone). At 195MHz it isn't exactly the fastest around.

No, the MDA isn't buggy. I got it within a week of it coming out (sometime in January or so, I think), and it has yet to crash on me. Lag a little, yeah, because of the processor--but it has yet to crash. You can sync with a Mark/Space Missing Sync For Windows Mobile 5 beta. It supports many bluetooth profiles including headsets.

Mark/Space has a Missing Sync for Windows Mobile 5 Beta or Alpha out. It works fine with my MDA.

22. Rhi-293 macrumors newbie

What is wrong with you people?

All of you think the screen resolution is bad? Well guess what, theres are solution. TURN UP THE BRIGHTNESS!
    This phone is great and kids everywhere would kill for this phone! Quit complaining and buy another phone.

23. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

voted stupidest post of the day.

resolution does not mean brightness.

if an LCD had a 5x3 resolution, and it was a bad resolution, would you tell me to turn the brightness up?????????

5 of my friends have gotten this phone & HATE it. i dont think kids would kill for this phone. it sucks.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Used to have a SK1. Enjoyed it, but it's a bit bulky, and the screen resolution's a bit too high (actually, the real complaint is that the text size is not adjustible), so I get a headache from using it, and it's way too fragile for me - I went through 2 SK's. So I switched to a BlackBerry. Works great for me, and works like a champ the past 3 1/2 years despite excessive abuse. Only thing I really miss is the IMing, but really, I don't need the feature, it's just a nicety. A robust, reliable email-on-the-go device is what I do need, and the BlackBerry serves just that purpose beautifully.

25. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Brightness has nothing to do with screen resolution. :rolleyes:
    I'm sure kids everywhere would kill for one, but i'm not a kid. :rolleyes:
    I have every right to complain if I'm not satisfied with a product I purchased.