Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
What's so great about it? How are you using it on your Apple TV? The addons didn't seem particularly noteworthy. I've never used Kodi before so I'm sure I'm just missing the appeal/favorable attributes, etc.

I have a HDD attached to my AEBS and couldn't figure out how to connect but was able to easily and flawlessly connect via Infuse and NAStify.

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
It´s one other choise of mediaplayer so what is it to get?
If you don´t know anything about XBMC/Kodi for starters Google and read.

derekshank

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I think it is popular because of the illegal streaming add-ons like Phoenix, Genesis, and 1Channel. Those will never be available on the Apple TV... so sideloading Kodi is the only way to get them on the ATV4.

I have it, but almost never use it. Currently it is my "just in case" option to keep up with new episodes of Better Call Saul. If AMC had a TVOS app, I probably wouldn't ever use it.

Reactions: David58117

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
What's so great about it? How are you using it on your Apple TV? The addons didn't seem particularly noteworthy. I've never used Kodi before so I'm sure I'm just missing the appeal/favorable attributes, etc.
I have used Kodi for years to stream content I ripped from my discs (e.g. a few hundred HD-DVDs that I ripped after the format died) on HTPCs and other devices. On the Apple TV I use MrMC, Kodi's close relative. ;)

What's great about Kodi from my perspective:

- Very high-quality video playback, works with virtually any format you throw at it.
- Available on many platforms; tag your files once in Kodi-compatible format, store the metadata on the file server along with the video files, and you can easily read them using Kodi on a wide variety of devices and computers. Alternatively, you can also set up a shared library a la Plex using a local SQL server, but that's a bit more involved.
- Endless customization options using the extension ecosystem. You don't have to use extensions (it's pretty complete in vanilla state these days), and for my simple needs I don't really need any. But just about everything you could wish for is available if you need it.
- Free and open source, no vendor lock-in.
I have a HDD attached to my AEBS and couldn't figure out how to connect but was able to easily and flawlessly connect via Infuse and NAStify.
I haven't tried NAStify. I like Infuse (it certainly has a nicer and more Apple-like GUI than Kodi, especially for things like fast forward/reverse during playback), but occasionally it has playback issues on files that MrMC plays without a hitch. Also, the metadata scraping naturally isn't always perfect (which is why I prefer maintaining my own local metadata using the method described above).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fancuku

pirata

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
Colorado
Kodi is the best media player but it meant to stream your own stuff even though there are addons that allow you to stream pirated media. If you don't want to side load it you can purchase mrmc, a version of kodi, from the appstore for a few dollars. I highly recommend it.

derekshank

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Kodi is the best media player but it meant to stream your own stuff even though there are addons that allow you to stream pirated media. If you don't want to side load it you can purchase mrmc, a version of kodi, from the appstore for a few dollars. I highly recommend it.
Exactly.

For people who aren't interested in using the illegal addons, MrMC is basically the same thing, but fully supported by the App Store, so you don't have to go to the hassle of sideloading it.

I'd be surprised if anyone went to the trouble of sideloaded Kodi strictly to use it in a way that Apple has already approved through MrMC, just to save a couple bucks.

FotoModel

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
After updating my Apple TV to TvOS 9.2, it has deleted Kodi app. Provenance app is ok. Both apps are sideloaded true xCode.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
After updating my Apple TV to TvOS 9.2, it has deleted Kodi app. Provenance app is ok. Both apps are sideloaded true xCode.
mine had that happened as well, will have o side load it again I guess. I did mine w signature of ipa only instead of Xcode. much easier for stuff that is already made into an ipa
Same for me. It also deleted two web browsers I had sideloaded.
For me it keep the web browser that was first done w Xcode, I didn't know there were more? Are they any better? Besides Kodi, the other side loaded projects stayed on my atv.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
mine had that happened as well, will have o side load it again I guess. I did mine w signature of ipa only instead of Xcode. much easier for stuff that is already made into an ipa

For me it keep the web browser that was first done w Xcode, I didn't know there were more? Are they any better? Besides Kodi, the other side loaded projects stayed on my atv.
Just one browser in Xcode. I loaded it twice testing settings in Xcode.

Reactions: Carlanga

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I never really got it either. I've tried out many releases of XBMC/kodi over many years. yeah, plugins, but they're crap video quality and 2 channel audio. I think it's highly overrated. I'm a huge fan of plex and sonarr.

pirata

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
Colorado
I never really got it either. I've tried out many releases of XBMC/kodi over many years. yeah, plugins, but they're crap video quality and 2 channel audio. I think it's highly overrated. I'm a huge fan of plex and sonarr.

The plugin aren't even part of kodi, they are 3rd party add ons, I don't use add-on on my setups. Kodi is meant to run your media not low quality streams. Unlike plex kodi doesn't need a server running on your pc with the files to stream to your other devices. You don't have to side load kodi, for a few dollars you can get mrmc from the app store. That version does not support 3rd part add ons.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
But why would you use Plex or Kodi to stream video to your apple tv? You just plug your tv via HDMI to your computer and that's it.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
But why would you use Plex or Kodi to stream video to your apple tv? You just plug your tv via HDMI to your computer and that's it.

I store my stuff to the nas which is always on and my atv is already connected to the tv. I dont need to use my computer for anything here.

Unfortunately nases arent enough powerful to transcode on the fly so plex isnt an answer (plex would have the server side on the nas and atv is a client part) for me: i keep vids as they are and atv mostly cant play them. Apps like Kodi can.

Kodi is a great app, i use it on my android tv box. But i havent sideloaded it to atv because you have to do it all the time nowadays.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
I use kodi side loading and got bored with it! I have my own media and find Plex and Infuse to be more then enough! Everyone that I've talked to only uses Kodi for the illegal channels or addons

Reactions: satcomer

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
You can install free vm (vmplayer) to your win computer and then ElCapitan under the vm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.