Sidetrack with new PB Rev D's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rapps, Feb 21, 2005.

1. rapps macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004
    I just got a Rev D 15" PB and want to use sidetrack. I went to there site and they said it isn't compatible yet, b/c of the new trackpad on the new pb's. Does anyone have a workaround yet? I NEED Sidetrack!!!

2. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    What does SideTrack do that the new TrackPad can't do that is so critical to you? I'm simply intrigued.
  3. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004
    The top 2 corners I had expose (desktop, app) and the bottom 2 corners I had as back and forward on safari websites. It was very nice to have those quick shortcuts. Do you have any suggestions or know when sidetrack will be compatible?
  4. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I was thinking about this as well. I think i'd prefer side track, none of this two finger stuff.
  5. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004
    Any word on when it will be released for us Rev D's?
  6. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    February 3, 2005 11:00PM
    At this point I've gotten a look at the IORegistry on the new PowerBooks. Apple has completely replaced the previous ADB keyboard and trackpad with an all new internal USB bus and devices. Its all new hardware and drivers and the technology will likely not be available for older PowerBook models.

What does this mean for SideTrack? Clearly SideTrack still has a use for users with older PowerBooks and iBooks. However, SideTrack 1.1 will not work on the new machines. Over the next few weeks I'll be investigating whether SideTrack can be ported to the new hardware.

In the meantime SideTrack 1.1.1 will finish beta testing and be released. Watch the site news for an announcement.

Taken from:-
  7. Basilisk macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2004
    As soon as I have something workable. Despite my best effort SideTrack 1.1.1 will ship soon without Rev D support.

I've been holding off on a site update till I have something encouraging to say. Right now I'm still deciphering the new pads. They are totally proprietary and they don't behave like proper USB mice. Its down to decoding and reverse engineering packets by hand, and that is slow and painful.

8. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004
    Thanks for replying to my thread. I really appreciate the wonderful software you've put out. I wonder if there is a way to disable the new trackpad's to revert back to the older models? Hopefully you'll figure something out...cause I love the sidetrack and dearly miss it!
  9. infect macrumors member

Feb 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I also have really gotten used to using sidetrack with my powerbook, mostly for the right-click button option that I use in conjunction with the trackpad-tap option. I didn't realize how natural it has become for me until recently when I received my new powerbook... it is so annoying to not have it!

Thanks Alex, for getting on top of this... is there anyway to modify the trackpad to at least enable the right-click mouse-button option? I have heard of users modifying the apple key mappings, but I'm not sure if that only applied to the old trackpads as well.

Any help or information on this would be extremely helpful.