Sideways G4?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by stoid, Jun 1, 2002.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Can a quicksilver G4 operate on its side without problems?? I think the CD drive should be okay, but anything else. My desk is not designed for a tower (Performa 6320CD was my last mac), and it's a nice desk and besides, after buying the G4, funds don't allow for a new desk as well. But anyway... will anything bad happen to my G4 if I rest it on its side??

Note: does it matter if the access panel is on top or bottom??

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you don't mind the fact that you will have to block the tower to prevent it from rocking, it could work. Optical drive speeds will not be as high as when the tower stands up properly, not 100% sure about the hard drive running at full speed. The hard drive should be ok, provided it is completely vertical, not even at a slight angle (92° could be enough to slow it down). Make sure that your optical drive has the tabs to allow it to run on it's side and keep the cd in place while opening/closing the tray.

Have you considered putting the CPU on the floor?? THAT would be a better solution then placing the tower on it's side. I have seen products that will raise it up off the floor a bit more, to allow for better air flow, but if you don't have thick carpet, it shouldn't be needed. If you have hard floors, don't worry about that, and static shouldn't be an issue either (with hard flooring).

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I have a dog, and I'm not sure how the two will interface. The dog isn't the huge shedding type, and doesn't typically tear things up. That's the main reason I don't have it on the floor yet, but the carpet in here is a tougher thinner carpet so that won't be a problem.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you can, put the computer between the desk and a side wall, unless you have it in the middle of a wall. Don't have it exposed to the dog. If it doesn't shed, much, then it shouldn't matter (much). Get some canned air and blow it out every month or two. I lived in a place with a small dog and it didn't have any problems with the computer. I even had it on the floor for some time (many months) and it didn't cause any problems. Granted the dog was a poodle, well behaved and smart. I also had the computer in direct view, and still had no problem. We didn't leave the dog out while no one was home (he had a house to go into) which you also might want to do.