Siege of Falluja

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 23, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

From the BBC:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3653223.stm

Not a pretty picture, I think you'll agree.

2. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Here's your crimes against humanity. But the real show may still occur in Najaf. The Americans know they can't go in. But if the Iraqis can provoke them, it might lead to an incursion -- and then all hell breaks loose.

You want a real ugly picture: imagine the following scenario. The Americans attack in Fallujah. Then a minor incident occurs in Najaf on the day the Israelis finally do what they have said they might: kill Arafat.

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

And I expect Bush will be on holiday again with a Do Not Disturb sign hanging on his doorknob. :(

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

;) but i have to admit i would do the same

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

But you're not the President of the USA. :rolleyes:

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and i am happy because of that..... i guess it is pretty streßfull dodging all those unwanted questions all the time

BTW: sunday there is the presidental election here in austria.... and both candidates are completly boring

7. toontra macrumors 6502

I could do with a "boring" statesman right now. I've had it up to here with "personality" politicians, especially Blair & Bush, banging on about their personal passionate beliefs in that quasi messianic way.

8. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Fallujah I heard on tv if we go in to fallujah then clerics say that other towns will erupt just like Fallujah. Ok so what we are suppose to shrug our shoulders and leave? Sorry we can't do that.

Najeh with that priest or whatever he is claiming if we go in after him we will have to suffer increased terrorism. Ok you mean if we shrug our shoulders and leave we won't have to worry about terrorist? Or how about someone wanting to turn Iraq into a theocracy? Sorry we can't do that either.

We are stuck at both places, we have no choice but to go in. There are no other viable alternatives.

9. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Americans have to go in, we can't walk away and allow him to turn the country into a theocracy. If we did that theocracy would be our fault. But yeah real ugly picture. And truthfully I wouldn't be surprised if that was what Sharon was waiting for in Israel. News be so busy talking about Iraq that Arafat would just be a blurb.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Perhaps you'll have the first female Austrian President? I agree, boring and competent is much better than the two boobies the UK and the US have.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

another attack is being considered (link)

i'm getting the impression that bush is micro-managing some of the military tactics here

12. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It's like watching a train crash :(
    No topical reference intended.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm sorry, I don't follow your logic here. If we go into Fallujah, we cause more civilian deaths, more American deaths, and increase terrorist activities throughout the country. Why can't we leave Fallujah alone?

No, if we shrug our shoulders and leave we'll have to worry about _less_ terrorism. If we're being told that certain actions would *guarantee* more chaos, why must we pursue those actions? And as for Iraq turning into a theocracy, I'm kinda worried about the US at the moment. Bush's crazy reborn-uber-christian worldview freaks me out a lot more than the idea of an arab nation being run by an arab form of government.

We most certainly do have another choice. It's the choice of admitting we're full of **** in regards to wanting an actual democracy in Iraq instead of a US puppet government. Let the people of Iraq make their own decisions. We certainly demand no less for ourselves.

14. numediaman macrumors 6502a

But Thanatoast, thanks to Pat Robertson, the American theocracy will include life saving pancakes!!

Pat's Age-Defying Protein Pancake

Guilt-free pancakes? Yes! Try Pat's Age-Defying Protein Pancakes for a breakfast that fights disease, protects your heart and tastes great!

America loves pancakes! Pancake houses across the country are packed. But what are those syrup drenched, hot cakes doing to our bodies? Putting us on a fast track to weight gain, high cholesterol and adult onset diabetes.

But now there is hope for everyone who loves this early morning treat. Pat's very own Age-Defying Protein Pancakes! These delicious pancakes give you energy, help your heart and provide a substantial boost of muscle-building protein.

Pat's Age-Defying Protein Pancakes can:
    • Combat the build-up of plaque in your blood vessels and arteries
    • Provide complex carbohydrates to keep your system running at its best
    • Provide an excellent source of energy and essential fatty acids, important for good heart health
    • Help protect against breast, uterine and prostate cancer

And Pat shares his cooking tips along the way to help make your pancakes light and fluffy.

http://www.cbn.com/communitypublic/pancakes.asp

I wonder if God provided the recipe at the same he told Pat that Bush would win in November in a landslide?

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Sunni leader warns of nationwide uprising if Fallujah is hit

link

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bring 'em on! We can't let a bunch of thugs and assasins chase us out of Iraq! Nothing bad will come from an intense battle in the middle of a crowded city. [/sarcasm]

The next week is likely to be very bloody for both Iraqis and Americans. :(

17. numediaman macrumors 6502a

You're probably right -- but I can't help but feel that, when it comes to Fallujah, they should wait them out. Holding Fallujah really means nothing to the Americans. In the end, its an Iraqi problem.

Najaf may be the same. Make the Iraqis solve this problem. Its their country, and they will be handed "sovereignty" in ten weeks. I think the Americans can create a siege and wait them out. Keep the "bad guys" bottled up and go after those out in Baghdad and the countryside.

This administration still believes that they will have a completely docile Iraq when they give up control. The only way Iraq will be docile is if everyone is dead.

18. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

But you CAN'T be advocating laying siege to a city for ten weeks in this day and age.

19. numediaman macrumors 6502a

No. I was attempting (probably lamely) to find a middle ground that the government might use.

I think people on this board know how anti-Iraq war I am, so when trying to find a way out for administration, I think a siege is better than house to house fighting -- but only barely.

If I were in charge, the US would go to the UN on Monday, apologize, and then declare our intention to leave Iraq on June 30.

20. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

That sounds a much better idea. You could even put your troops under UN command. (Ducks)

PS It's Monday. :D

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Looks like the cease-fire is over and we are assulting the city....

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

fox news just pissed me off

on tv, a teaser for their 9pm news broadcast: a real tough-guy VO (voiceover) "the time for talk has ended" while showing night-vision footage of marines attacking fallujah.

i'm so glad mainstream media panders to that ass-kicking set which i'd thought people would grow out of after high school. color me disappointed.

23. numediaman macrumors 6502a

You should watch ITV news instead. You can find it on Newsworld International. They have some very nice looking British woman (believe me, I was going to use different words, but decided not to). Their news isn't bad, but they have this annoying habit of walking around in front of these giant monitors, then sitting, then walking around a bit. I keep screaming at the TV "decide already. Either sit your arse down or stand up -- just make up your mind."

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd be all over it if i had the cable.

25. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Well, I have Directv so I get the BBC, FranceTV, the local SF channels so I can see the Giants lose again, Bravo (back when they only broadcast foreign films), as well as Air America TV.

OK, so I don't get some of those channels. Ok, Ok, I don't get any of those channels. But I do get every Murdoch owned propaganda machine channel. I think there are thirty of them at last count.