siemens s66 vs. se t637

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nbs2, Mar 10, 2005.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I noticed that it doesn't appear as a specific item supported by iSync, but it is a siemens bluetooth phone and they are listed as being supported. anyway, i've decided that I will either get that or t637. i've seen plenty of people say great things about the se, but only two mentions about the s66 on this site.

I would like to get the phone that is better for two things - communicating with my computer and making phone calls (and not in that order). I'd like to get good battery life. The only other thing that I might care about would be the ability to play mp3's which I think neither does. Does anybody have experience with both phones, or at least enough with the s66 to make some comments?

By the way, they are the same price now with Cingular, so that is not a factor.

2. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Get the S66. I can't believe it's only $199, I paid $249 (well $199) after rebate in late December :mad:

It's a pretty good phone. I won't lie, it is definately a bit buggy, but it works fine. The camera is really good, especially outside, and is so-so inside. Bluetooth works with my PB, but I've never used iSync, only sending files/photos to/from my computer. The T637 is older and just doesn't offer nearly the same amount of features, they are in a completely different class. The T637 has actually gone up in price too, when I was looking for phones it was only $40 after rebates...
    The other thing about the S66 is that the speakerphone isn't superloud, so if you're a guy who drives around in his Diesel truck with the speaker phone, this isn't for you. Overall though, it is a nice phone, and has incredible quality in the build. The screen is big and bright, and lots of people oogle it. The games are good too. The phone doesn't have an Mp3 player, but you can get .wav files as ringtones with a bit of work. What you can do is put a few of your favorite songs in the ringtone library, and then play them when you like. Granted, it comes through the speakerphone in fairly bad quality, but it's better than nothing.

Oh, and to find more info, google "Siemens S65", which is what the S66 is called everywhere else.

Another phone that is worth a look is the LG1400. It is cheap and takes good indoor pictures.

Hope this helped!

3. artalliance macrumors 6502

love the s66 but I have isync troubles

i can't figure it out. it detects the device in the BT preferences, but isync can't find it. big bummer. otherwise a great phone for the $$.

4. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

so what i'm deciding between is a phone that is old and overpriced but will sync or a great priced, well featured phone that doesn't sync.

from what i've read, the t637 seems the be the current phone of choice for most mac users. is isync or something else the reason that most haven't gone with the s66 (or s65) - or do people just not discuss it as much?

5. Jopling macrumors 6502

t637

You might say the t637 is outdated, but I really don't see how. It supports iSync in everyway. The only thing it can't do is play mp3's. It has a pretty long battery life, it's small, very customizeable, easy to use, and you can control your whole computer with it. Let's not mention it is sleek and sexy. Every time I pull mine out I have someone comment on it and I never really thought it would be THAT impressive of a phone, but apparently it is.

6. BONDS macrumors newbie

Hey,

Def get the T637. I have it with cingular and its flawless. BT works with out any problems.

Bonds

7. justchad macrumors newbie

I don't know what you ended up choosing, but I just got my T637 today. I bought the S66 and returned it after having a ton of trouble getting iSync to recognize it. The screen on the sony is smaller, other than that the functional enhancements offered by the Siemens, while nice, aren't enough to warrant the extra cost. (SE: If I get my rebates back, I get paid $75 for it, Siemens: $99) Both phones are nice but Sony's just work better w/ macs. Good move on their part. I just wish they'd had that foresight with their PDAs. blah!

8. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

That is exactly what I wanted to know! thanks for the info.