Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Same here. Set the Siri shortcut and spacebar works in Parallels. Removed the shortcut...spacebar still works.

But I can't get the Windows Start Menu to appear, even with Coherence off. Anyone else?
I own a small computer repair shop, it's actually Windows 10's fault and I can tell you that I've seen that all too often... A few reboots is what it takes for numerous files to register into the system. Could post a dmp but it's not relevant to macrumors.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Hey Guys!

Having a big problem running Parallels 11 on Sierra.

Worked fine on El Capitan.

Now, when I boot up the latest version of Parallels 11, my VM is gone. Parallels can no longer find it.

I think the VM used to be located in Documents. However, Parallels is telling me that folder has been moved and using the Parallels locator or Setup Wizard, it cannot find and/or convert the former VM.

Can anyone supply any help with this?

Reactions: desert tiger

wtsitmn

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Texass
Maybe I'll become a Parallels customer again if it stops breaking with every OS X release. This is good news.

No, they're never going to do that. How do you think they make their money? It's by selling pointless "upgrades" their users have to keep buying again and again, year after year.

I did notice they're selling Parallels 11 with a free upgrade for next year. So that takes some of the sting out of it.

One reason I'm still using Yosemite is because I don't want to have to buy Parallels yet again. There is also the stupid name "El Capitan". :) MacOS Sierra does sound nice, so maybe next year I'll upgrade if there are any truly useful features I want to take advantage of. But so far, I don't see it. Yosemite works fine, and is compatible with all my iOS devices running 9.3.3 with jailbreaks. Sierra doesn't support Fusion (yet), so that's another reason not to upgrade. Plus the fact that I have a policy of not upgrading to the latest release of anything which has major changes. A new file system is a huge change, so I'll be watching but not participating at first. But maybe you should take my comments with a grain of salt or two. The only reason I use Parallels at all is so I can run XP. That's because my old DVD copying tools aren't compatible with later versions of WindBlows.

Last edited:

shoes222

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Hey Guys!

Having a big problem running Parallels 11 on Sierra.

Worked fine on El Capitan.

Now, when I boot up the latest version of Parallels 11, my VM is gone. Parallels can no longer find it.

I think the VM used to be located in Documents. However, Parallels is telling me that folder has been moved and using the Parallels locator or Setup Wizard, it cannot find and/or convert the former VM.

Can anyone supply any help with this?
I've been using Parallels 11 on El Capitan, and upgraded to the Sierra Public Beta...and my VM still works like a charm in Sierra. Like you said, the default location for Parallels VMs is in Documents/Parallels.

The only thing I can think of is do you have "Automatically store Desktop & Documents Folders" and "Optimize iCloud Storage" switched on in iCloud settings? If so, it could be that...that changes the location of Documents folders and is a major change in Sierra. If that's what happened, download your VM from iCloud and switch the setting off temporarily, or move the VM to a location not in Documents.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, found out the problem...

When you turn on the iCloud documents and folders setting, Sierra creates a folder called OLD IMAC (or old MACBOOK)

The VM is moved there and Parallels cannot locate it unless you specifically point it to there.

So, you were pretty much on the money with the problem.

Thanks for the help.

sam092016

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
I've been using Parallels 11 on El Capitan, and upgraded to the Sierra Public Beta...and my VM still works like a charm in Sierra. Like you said, the default location for Parallels VMs is in Documents/Parallels.
Hi all, Sierra appears on App Store, officially.
Has anyone tried running VM Windows 10 using PD 11 on Sierra? Any potential issue?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Anyone running Sierra but with Windows 8? If so, how is that working?
I missed out on the windows 10 free upgrade

SteveBusa

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
Hi guys, ive been using Parallels 10.0.1 for over a year now with El Capitan with no issues, but after the Sierra update my Parallels will not boot. Can anyone help with this?
I desperately need the files that i had under windows and i cant access them nor can i find them anywhere. If i upgrade to a newer version and reinstall will it delete the files i had before?
Thanks
Steve

desert tiger

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
I have parallels 11 pro and want to try sierra but I was thinking it can mess up short cuts in lightroom i just finished fixing that, Anyone have it a problem of should i do it between jobs?

desert tiger

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
as soon as i am dont this job I am going to give it a go wish me luck, if anyone had issue please let me know, thanks.

YoCo

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
I have an issue with the spacebar not working in Parallels running Windows 10.
It doesn't matter which application I use.

Anybody else had this issue?

Thank you.

You can upgrade, or you can go to Parallels setting
-> Shortcuts -> Virtual Machines-Windows 10 -> "+" (add) -> from Space to Space

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 21.31.02.JPG
    Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 21.31.02.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.