Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Hello, all! Searched everywhere for a solution and found nothing.

Before Sierra my clock in OS X worked great... I.e. it told me the time and was never wrong. And I am literally just talking about the clock at the top right of the screen, the basic OS X clock.

Anyway, whenever I wake my 2015 MacBook Air up from sleep, the clock is wrong. Like right now it is stuck on 1:25 AM. It is 8:42 AM. I wasn't even awake or using my laptop at 1:25 AM. It was plugged in and asleep. It is similar to this, though the time it gets stuck on changes, but it never gets stuck when the computer is awake.

Restarting the computer fixes it. Now, I have to restart to fix it because when I hover over the clock on the upper right with my cursor, I get a beachball. But only on the clock portion of the top bar of the screen. I also tried to go to System Preferences and go to the time section, but it crashes and says it can't open it, and just puts me back on the main System Pref screen.

Here's the funny thing... When I opened my Air this morning, on the lock screen, the TIME WAS RIGHT! I thought it had somehow fixed itself. Logged in and I am back at 1:25 AM with a clock that doesn't work. Now I am even more confused.

Anyone heard of this or have a potential solution? Or is this just Apple's way of trying to make me buy an Apple Watch (JOKING!!! HAHA).

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hello, all! Searched everywhere for a solution and found nothing.

Before Sierra my clock in OS X worked great... I.e. it told me the time and was never wrong. And I am literally just talking about the clock at the top right of the screen, the basic OS X clock.

Anyway, whenever I wake my 2015 MacBook Air up from sleep, the clock is wrong. Like right now it is stuck on 1:25 AM. It is 8:42 AM. I wasn't even awake or using my laptop at 1:25 AM. It was plugged in and asleep. It is similar to this, though the time it gets stuck on changes, but it never gets stuck when the computer is awake.

Restarting the computer fixes it. Now, I have to restart to fix it because when I hover over the clock on the upper right with my cursor, I get a beachball. But only on the clock portion of the top bar of the screen. I also tried to go to System Preferences and go to the time section, but it crashes and says it can't open it, and just puts me back on the main System Pref screen.

Here's the funny thing... When I opened my Air this morning, on the lock screen, the TIME WAS RIGHT! I thought it had somehow fixed itself. Logged in and I am back at 1:25 AM with a clock that doesn't work. Now I am even more confused.

Anyone heard of this or have a potential solution? Or is this just Apple's way of trying to make me buy an Apple Watch (JOKING!!! HAHA).

Yes, this happens to me from time to time as well. Not always, but sometimes. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? I can't be sure, but I think a clean install from the USB solved this problem for me. Either way, it's a bug and it will probably be fixed in the next update.

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I also have this happen. I did find a process in activity monitor which was not responding, and killing it will cause the clock to reset. I don't remember the process name though. If it happens again, I'll reply back with the name.

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
It happened as soon as I got on my iMac. The process that hangs is SystemUIServer. As soon as I kill it, the clock restarts.
Activity Monitor (All Processes) 2016-10-01 16-02-50.png

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
It happened as soon as I got on my iMac. The process that hangs is SystemUIServer. As soon as I kill it, the clock restarts.

You got it, that is the process! Fixed everything right away! The same process also caused by battery indicator to say that it was plugged in (electricity symbol) and at 100% battery. Killing this process fixed date, time, and battery indicator. Nice catch!

Responding to someone above me who asked about my upgrade method... Just an upgrade, no clean install. I don't like to do that unless something catastrophic happens. I won't do it even if this continues... It seems like a bug and needs to be fixed by Apple.

Thank you for your help everybody!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.