Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Today, I received the crucial 1G memory and this costs me 135 pounds. But when I opened the box, I found that the memory is made by Samsung chip.

Sigh, I would rather buy the Samsung memory or Kingston to save a bit of money. I guess Kingston is using Samsung chip as well.

Anyone can provide me some merits of Crucial memory to comfort me? :confused:

BTW: does anybody know how to test the memory?
Thanks in advance!

yuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
gwuMACaddict said:
it's all the same stuff... the only difference is what name brand sticker they slap on it...
Cry!!! :(

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
yuy said:
Thanks in advance!

start you computer form the os x dvd and run hardware test. it gives you the option to test the ram.

but don't worry, it doesn't matter where you buy the ram. i bought ram from apple and it was faulty, a million people bought from crucial and it was o.k.

enjoy your ram and the speed increase that comes with it.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Crucial does seem to have some wicked markups going on. If you just search for a 1gig chip for a powerbook it comes up at ~$140. If you use their 'memory selector' (which lets them know you're using it in a Mac) the same chip comes in at ~$200. Why so much extra to guarantee it works in a Mac?

yuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
gwuMACaddict said:
:confused: what in the world are you upset about?

Well, i just don't know what to account for price markup of Crucial memory.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
yuy said:
Well, i just don't know what to account for price markup of Crucial memory.
You don't account for it. Just return it for your money back or keep it. Either way you have a stick of ram. Crucial backs their memory up better than most so I've heard so if you're looking for something or some reason to pay markup to make you feel better, then use that reason.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
samung is the RAM brand that Apple uses mostly, that's why it costs more. probably better quality overall (fewer percentage of chips that don't work).

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
.Andy said:
Crucial does seem to have some wicked markups going on. If you just search for a 1gig chip for a powerbook it comes up at ~$140. If you use their 'memory selector' (which lets them know you're using it in a Mac) the same chip comes in at ~$200. Why so much extra to guarantee it works in a Mac?

They might both be 1GB but were they exactly the same part number? One might be one sided, one might be dual sided. Also one could have different SPD information programmed into it, to mac it compatible with MAC's.

EDIT:

I looked these up, both have different codes but seem to be the same specifications. The only way to find out would be to order both and see physically what the difference between them is.

Generic PC2700 200 Pin SO-DIMM $135.99
Apple Powerbook PC2700 200 Pin SO-DIMM $193.99

It probably is just a rip off but there is a chance that with the generic ram they might use chips from different manufacturers, but with the Apple ones they use certain chips that are tested.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
TBi said:
They might both be 1GB but were they exactly the same part number? One might be one sided, one might be dual sided. Also one could have different SPD information programmed into it, to mac it compatible with MAC's.

EDIT:

I looked these up, both have different codes but seem to be the same specifications. The only way to find out would be to order both and see physically what the difference between them is.

Generic PC2700 200 Pin SO-DIMM $135.99
Apple Powerbook PC2700 200 Pin SO-DIMM $193.99

It probably is just a rip off but there is a chance that with the generic ram they might use chips from different manufacturers, but with the Apple ones they use certain chips that are tested.

You may not be able to tell by looking at them...

Crucial did have to bring out a separate set of part numbers for Powerbooks because they changed their build on the generic PC2700s and found that they no longer worked in several models of Powerbook. It looks like they are offering their generic 1 Gb for the iBook,and the Apple specific build for the Powerbook.

The OP I believe was upset because they paid extra for Crucial brand memory, and Crucial delivered the same Samsung brand module they could've got for $159 from Data Memory Systems for example. This runs contrary to Crucial's advertising campaigns that tout "We're the only company who manufactures our own RAM, Apple uses our RAM" (not actually, true, Apple buys only a portion of their RAM from Micron, Crucial's parent.)

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
yuy said:
Today, I received the crucial 1G memory and this costs me 135 pounds. But when I opened the box, I found that the memory is made by Samsung chip.

Sigh, I would rather buy the Samsung memory or Kingston to save a bit of money. I guess Kingston is using Samsung chip as well.

Anyone can provide me some merits of Crucial memory to comfort me? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

CanadaRam seems to have explained this pretty well, but I thought I'd add anecdotally, I just purchased a 1-gig stick for my soon-to-arrive iBook, and was unable to find a better price.
It seems (as the previous poster explained), rather than gouging, Crucial is just putting quality first by no longer selling the generic PC2700 as PowerBook ram.

Returning to my personal experience, Crucial was cheaper up front than DMS (datamem.com), and didn't penalize me with no tracking for the free shipping. Crucial is the kind of company that leaves me feeling near-privileged for being able to spend my money on their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.