*Sigh.* I think CNN's website has hit bottom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

First CNN Headline News gave up their evening hours to a succession of hour-long tabloid shows. I was grateful that their website was, at least, relatively straight by comparison.

Then I took a look at it today. Among the "top stories" (see attachment):

A plane crash with a sensational headline ("flaming!")
    Winning lottery tickets
    Commentary from Lou Dobbs
    The Libby jurors wanted hot dogs!
    A child screaming just before her murder
    A story about a comic book hero

*Sigh.* It is to weep.

I hardly know which bothers me the most -- the soft features masking as "news", the screaming "if it bleeds, it leads" headlines, or the fact that CNN keeps putting their own Lou Dobbs' commentaries up there as if they were breaking news.

Yeah, I know, CNN has been going downhill for a long time, but I think within the last two months they've really tanked. The "headlines" they've got today are the stupidest ones yet.

Give it another year and their website will have stories about aliens and Bigfoot and their network will be running The Howard Beale Show. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

not to mention the ridiculous use of 'video-only' news.

i agree, it has become almost useless

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The news media have been useless to me for some time now. Internet news is less crap than TV but it's all in the crapper as far as I'm concerned. Did I mention it's crap? :rolleyes:

**** those, a few are ok but when 2/3 of the news links are poor quality streaming clips that don't work on half the computers in the world because of a missing plugin...jeebus.

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Behold, the Countdown with Keith Olbermann page on MSNBC.

Now, y'all know I like Olbermann a lot. But virtually everything on his front page is a video, and none of it works with Camino, my preferred browser. Sometimes it doesn't even work with Safari, even though it claims it does.

And as long as I'm on the subjects of MSNBC and tabloid headlines, get a load of this one from today's MSNBC front page:

So stupid it qualifies as self-parody. :rolleyes:

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Seconded!

Very often, you can't even remotely guess what their articles are about because the headlines are so badly abbreviated.

And don't get me started about their annoying pop-ups…

… or when they have the same animated ad 3 times on the same page in different sizes or orientation.

Wondering why I still visit their website? I like google ads very much but it's kind of difficult to guess what the big "breaking news" headlines are. I often visit a site like CNN to spot the key headlines then head to google news to search for the "good reporting" version.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The video links and pop-ups drive me nuts also. I don't want to download video or watch a talking head just to find out what's going on. They afraid their visitors can't read?

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't my news from any of them anymore. If you look in the right places on the web, you can get the good stuff. I like MSNBC sometimes, but MSN still gives me weird error messages in FireFox. Even on a PC. Thanks M$. And even they suck most of the time. CNN was supposed to get better when the new guy (forgot his name, don't really care) came on board to clean house and return it to being "respectable". See how long that lasted. Guess tabloid pays the bills.

This is what happens when media becomes corporate. Er, corporater. Weren't there supposed to laws against that?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i would not be at all surprised if their market research indicates that.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually I think CNN is trying to make some cash. When FNC aired the Anna Nicole trial they killed CNN in the ratings. The audience is getting fatigued by the heavy stuff and they are turning the channel. So CNN in order to keep the ad money flowing is probably making a tactical maneuver to boost its ratings.

Show me the money.

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

CNN has been rubbish for years now. The problem with a 24-hour news channel is that there isn't 24-hours of news suitable for the average person. They've been filling the day with with fluff for so long, that they learned the knack of reporting fluff with a straight face.

I'm sooo happy that our local cable providor swapped out CNN Headline News for BBC World News. I never have to see Nancy Grace again.

When marketing research decides what is and isn't news, it's all over. What are they going to commercialize next, Christmas?

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

*cough*thats already been commercialized*cough*

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Really?