*Sigh* iBook now keeps freezing...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by in2themystik2, May 5, 2006.

1. in2themystik2 macrumors member

Wellll, I got my iBook in December and was just posting a couple weeks ago about having kernal panic problems (5 of them). So I did an Archive and Install, and still kernal panic, ran a hardware test, nothing; repaired permissions... etc. Then I did a clean install of the OS last week, and have not had kernal panic, although 3 or 4 times in the last week or so since I did that, the computer seems to freeze and the cursor doesn't move and then I have to turn it off and restart it by pressing the power button. I can't remember this ever happening before this last week.

I tried searching the forums, but didn't find anything that spoke to this problem exactly. Does anyone know why it might be doing this, as I cannot pinpoint any one thing I am doing. I pretty much always do the same things on my computer, iChat, Mail, Safari, sometimes Word, etc. I'm just concerned that it might be hardware after having the kernal panics and now this.

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have extra RAM? Have you tried taking it out?

Also, what apps are you running at the time and what peripherals are plugged in? :)

3. in2themystik2 thread starter macrumors member

*Dramatic Sigh* I was just responding, and it froze again. I was running Safari, Mail, and iChat and I believe that's the third time today it has frozen. Frustrating indeed. I have not taken the RAM out yet, I do have extra which was installed by apple when i ordered the computer. I am apprehensive about taking it out, or taking anything apart on my computer. I may end up taking it to apple, or calling apple because I would hate to screw something up, and void the warranty even though i know it's supposed to be easy. I just want it to work perfectly as it did until a month ago! :(

4. in2themystik2 thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah, and no peripherals plugged in at this time, or time of freezing.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, take it to Apple if you're not confident playing around inside the thing. Best of luck with it all. :)

6. marchcapital macrumors regular

marchcapital

i had the same problem with a newer ibook then yours...apple never did figure out what was causing the problem...

7. in2themystik2 thread starter macrumors member

Ironically, I was coming to check this thread, and when I clicked on it, it froze again. I'm gonna need to call apple this week, because I want it to go away! haha

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

9. in2themystik2 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, yeah... we'd all like that. But I just got this one in December (new) and it took me 9 months to save the money for that, being the poor college, soon to be grad student, I am. This is my lap top for grad school, it can't konk out on me now, esp since it's new...

It just froze again, for the 3rd or 4th time today, and when I turned it back on the screen didn't come on. It had powered on because I heard it. This happened twice, and then the screen came on. I know at this point I need to just call apple, but I'm just venting my frustrations and worries. :(

10. California macrumors 68040

California

I've had that same machine. Never a problem. But I would never own a Mac today without maxing out the Ram, especially in iChat.