Sigh... they stole my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Synapple, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Synapple macrumors regular

:(

I was at one of my company's buildings all day today for some assessments (I am the assessor).
    After the first few assessments in the morning, I went for lunch and left my bag in one of the rooms, which was going to be closed until my return.
    As a matter of fact, when I was back the room was indeed closed and I had to call someone to open it.

When going back home, at 8PM, I realised I didn't have my iPod in the bag. I rushed back to the offices but it was nowhere to be found.

Sob... it was a brand new 5.5 30GB white beauty, and the first one I had engraved. :( ("I wanna be the minority" was the line - from a Green Day song).

Oh well, I'm back to the first generation silver mini for now...

Sorry, just needed to tell someone!

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well that sucks. Be sure you register it stolen with Apple. They will <do something> if it's ever brought or sent in for service.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sorry to hear that man...next time burn the ipod into your belly so you won't forget it;)

Bless

4. xxstatic macrumors member

Wow that just stinks.:mad:
    I know what its like and that feeling just doesn't want to go away.
    I hate thieves.:mad:

5. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Apple should do something for ipods like that like when its connected to a computer connected to the internet and the serial number would come up as stolen and the ipod starts displaying a image saying this ipoid is stolen and if nothing gets done the ipod will start bleeping (built in speaker (click wheel click sound) and then bleep really loud and in the end just cut out. But shame dude that sucks.. I wouldnt know what i would do if myipod was stolen. :(

6. Synapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys... yeah, I can confirm it really sucks... I hate thieves in general but this time I would be less mad if they got my cash instead of the iPod... I don't know, it felt like such a personal belonging...

Thanks mrgreen4242 for suggesting to register it stolen with Apple. I will do so... might not do anything to the thief but the idea of locking him out of any support is still a small virtual satisfaction...

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

When my wife's silver mini was stolen Apple assured me they couldn't do anything about it. :(

I saw a truck for these guys on the freeway yesterday and it seems like it might be worth a shot to rgister w/them: http://serial.stealitback.com/ as well as filing a police report.

B

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You talked to the building manager to let them know there's a theif in the building, right?

9. jTreu macrumors 6502

always sucks the hear that happen to someone, that happened to someone in my school by it was recorved becuase someone saw the person using it and the verified it using the serial number.

10. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

even room is closed until you get back, I don't understand why you left your bag. in my case, whatever I do, my bag always comes with me. it's your fault. if you feel, something is valuable then you should get them in your pocket no matter what at least. Apple can do nothing about it. always careful. there are also a lot of people use notebooks in cafe. a lot of people go to toilet wihtout carrying it. somehow, somecase, somebody would steal it. actually it's been happened many times. even you don't use it, just left next chair when you drink coffee at airport, cafe, restaurant, stealing is happened within a second.

11. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

That sucks, im sorry. Good luck getting it back.

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

that's terrible! i hope that you are able to get your ipod back somehow. and a pox on the theif! :p

13. monke macrumors 65816

monke

How do you register it as 'stolen' with Apple?

14. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Question seconded. Mine was nicked a while back, and I was under the impression Apple wouldn't give a damn.

15. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I think the guy already realizes what has happened... you don't need to scold him like some nun from Sunday school.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I called AppleCare when my wife's mini was stolen and was told exactly that. They have no mechanism for flagging anything as stolen. The kind helper (who sounded like he was in India) gave me a non-toll-free phone # for Apple Security, which turned out to be the Campus Security at Infinite Loop. :rolleyes: LOL.

You could register it at the site I pointed out earlier where if it shows up in police custody it'll get returned to you...

B

17. Synapple thread starter macrumors regular

lol... yeah, I got my lesson...

The thing is that the building is supposed to be safe... there's security everywhere and nobody without a badge (either employee or visitor) can access it... there's even an x-ray machine and metal detector desk at the entrance for all visitors.
    I mean, my company deals with aerospace and defense systems, there are documents classified as international secrets everywhere and security is indeed very tight...
    Obviously, this doesn't apply to personal belongings it seems...
    I'm going to file a report to security today, as there is a video-security system in every room... hopefully the cameras were actually working yesterday, instead of being disconnected as sometimes happens.

Anyway, from now on the iPod is coming with me for lunch...

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I was going to ask you about the security at the building where you were working. You would think they would be apologetic and concerned that they have a theif in their midst. Keep us updated.

19. ironjaw macrumors 6502

Aside from the theft I would love working in your building. Aerospace and defense contracts - that's so cool. I bet you guys and girls are getting a good pay every month, still I cannot accept the fact that someone with a good earning would want to steal :confused:

Keep us posted if the security team finds someone redhanded on camera stealing you ipod. Give him/her some assualt (which under law is also recognised as shouting, scolding, making the person feel threatened, mental abuse, name-calling etc.) from me

20. Synapple thread starter macrumors regular

You can bet if they ever find the culprit I'll make him learn every kind of possible synonym of the word "assault"!

In terms of my colleagues getting a good pay, I can confirm this and assume none of them might be the thief... hell 99% of them has an iPod (or multiple iPods) already...

Also, there were a number of candidates wandering around waiting for the assessment to start but I can't imagine somebody applying for a job actually risking to screw it all by stealing an iPod from the bag of the assessor on their first visit to the company!

All that remains is the security guys, who also happened to be the ones who closed the room after I left for lunch. Still, I can't believe somebody from security might risk losing its job for a $300 gimmick. Unless they knew the cameras weren't on yesterday... mmmh... :eek:

I'll keep investigating...

21. ironjaw macrumors 6502

Vanishing iPods? This is just the tip of the iceberg! What might our friend Synapple find next on his conquest? A conspiracy so deep in the routes of the American Corporation History that if unlocked might shake the very foundation that our forefathers built. Find out next time you tune in to the Twilight Mac Forums. [Play Twilight Zone Music] :eek:

And.. Cut! ;)

22. macdell macrumors newbie

Apple will monitor stolen iPods?

Is that so? Will Apple OR iTunes report a stolen iPod? Good!! I hope so.

Here is the Serial Number to look out for, ITunes:

JQ509F6WSAY

Let me know if who ever has it wants something from iTunes!! I am counting on you and Apple to help me find my son's stolen iPod. He needs it to help him concentrate in school - it helps him to focus. His iPod is what the field of education calls assistive technology. It has been stolen from him.

Apple/iTunes - step up to the plate.

23. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Seriously, maybe archurban's time would be better spent studying his third grade grammer lessons.:rolleyes:

24. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

I must say I'm sorry to hear that. However, I've heard of this happening a lot - a popular one is to remove one of the multitudes of credit cards that we have these days as it often takes days for people to notice.

25. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Grammer?! People in glasshouses … :D :D :D

Sorry to hear about that Synapple, horribly frustrating. I had my first PowerBook stolen in the middle of the night at home. Came downstairs when the burglar alarm went off just in time to see someone go out of the window with it. Always take this one upstairs with me now.

I'd very much like to know whether the videos showed anything. Think you should tell whoever's in charge of security if you haven't done so already.