--Sigh-- What to do about obnoxious neighbors?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hotwire132002, Jun 3, 2006.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

First off -- Pardon any grammatical errors or poor English in general in this post. It's 2am and I was exhausted at 11:30, but the neighbors are keeping me up... again. :mad:

I'm fed up -- up at two in the morning (once again) because our new neighbors are obnoxious party animals with no decency whatsoever (the other day, one of 'em took a pee in their front lawn -- in broad daylight -- as my mom was passing my.)

It's not like this is a one-time thing, either... these jerks moved in last summer, and since then they've had about a party a week. And we're not talking about any small party here -- we're talking cars all the way down the road (blaring music and honking, rather than stepping inside for a moment, to call others to the car. And this is at 2am.)

Anyway -- these guys won't listen either. Both ourselves and the neighbors on the opposite side of their house are constantly politely requesting they settle down by about 11. No luck -- in fact, about 45 minutes ago I went over and requested they please ask their guests to keep the music down, not honk, and keep quiet in general, as they're leaving. Guess what? 10 minutes later, I hear them yelling to each other across the yard, getting ready to leave.

These guys own their house (everyone does around here) -- so we can't complain to the landlord or anything like that.

I dunno... Any suggestions are appreciated, not that I expect any or anything. I'm just ranting, for lack of ability to sleep. Thanks for listening, at least.

--Sigh--

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Why don't you call the cops? Also, you can take up the bagpipes and play them outside their window at 9am.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Police.

Tell them about the situation, then call them on the night of a big party...they'll clean it right up. Most places have noise ordinances and rules on keeping the peace.

They'll probably get a fine and a warning for being too loud too late, and if they keep doing it they can get in real trouble.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ditto... call the cops.

Many towns and cities have noise ordinances which dictate how loud you're allowed to be after certain times... in most places, the noise level has to drop off almost to zero after 10 PM or 11 PM.

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Probably a good idea. I think we'll end up giving them a good talking to tomorrow (my dad's been saying he's going to for a long time, but if he won't tomorrow, I will myself), and warn them that if it happens again, we're calling the cops.

Gotta go -- they're getting noisy again. :mad:

Maybe I should call the cops on this party...

EDIT: Wow, this got a lot of responses quickly! Thanks for the advice -- probably what I should have done in the first place!

7. sahnert macrumors 6502

Many residential areas have sound ordinances after dark. Call your local law enforcement and inquire.

EDIT: i'm so slow....

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Do it. Right now.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I wouldn't talk to them about it...you never what they'll do in retribution after a "good talking to." And if you threaten to go to the cops, and then the cops do show up the next time, they're going to blame you no matter who called the cops. Sounds like there's a lot of people in your neighborhood who are upset. Just call the cops...the guys won't be able to pin it on you for doing so.

10. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

That's another good point. Sounds like they're wrapping up for tonight... I'm going to bed. I'll work on this issue more tomorrow, but for now, (finally!) good night! :rolleyes:

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

why you guys wanna bust my party?

If callin the cops doesnt work, after a while youll get used to it to some degree.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's been almost a year and he doesn't seem to be getting used to it. There's no reason why he should have to put with that crap.

13. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Do you have a HOA? If you do, talk to the board members, and get them to fine them up the wazzoooo...

14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Cops, lawn mowing/leaf blowing at 8am, OPERA, OPERA, OPERA. But mainly call the cops.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Get yourself a couple of Marshall 100-Watt Superlead Full Stacks (preferably hand-wired) and let 'er rip. They'll be moved out by July.

17. ecche macrumors regular

Unruly neighbor's? Satisfaction in 6 easy steps:

Take a shoe box.
    Fill it with dog poo, then wrap as a present.
    Place 'present' in front of neighbor's door.
    Douse 'present' with lighter fluid and set alight.
    Ring neighbor's doorbell.
    Watch from a safe distance.

18. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I like that idea. Except, make the bagpipes an entire brass band, and change the '9am' to '6am'.

EDIT: Chundles, you seem to have it figured out, I like it.

Have you had to deal with hooligans before? :)

19. goodnbr macrumors newbie

Bad situation

You are in the worst area possible. The law is completely twisted here and many people understand this and in turn exploit it in every way possible.

From California to Vegas To Florida to Georgia, I have lived in different private communities and endured extreme BS in each of them, but the police, the HOA, my other neighbors, or anyone has been able to help.

I have had naked men parading themselves in front of windows, who actually called the police on me for asking him to stop.

A 6'8" 275 lb. moron who attempted to sue me for 3 years for throwing him out of my house when he barged in drunk. He had 17 other law suits going.

A woman with 2 rotweilers in a 50 x 35 backyard with a concrete block fence that barked day and night, and of course they never cleaned up the crap - it took the health department to get them to clean it up. After that, the guy next to them bought 2 pit bulls and started the same thing - he finally moved, but not after theatening us with the dogs- even after I gave CPR to his 4 year old son out on the sidewalk one morning.

The party crew who finally were foreclosed on.

Now, the bipolar lady whose dog has come after me in my yard twice, and in her lastest manic epsisode has enticed a stray dog to her home feeds it, gives it water, and locks it outside all day and night barking. Anumal control said it would be 6 days.

The problem is, though not feeling persecuted, they all try to make you out to be the villain because of their weak resolve in stopping the offenders.

My current neighbor actually attempted to hit me with her car, I called her what she is for doing so, and she called the police on me, who took her side, or so it appeared.

I live in a private community with its own security force, but it is of no help. The worst part is this is the only neighbor I have.

The fact is, and I was told this by a Los Angeles County prosecutor, there is not much you can do that will actually hold up in court.

The police will come to thinkk of you as a crackpot and a complainer, your other neighbors will eventually abandon you and of course villify you, and if you have an HOA/POA they were useless from the beginning and will eventually ignore your complaints.

My current neighbor is clearly dangerous, but no one seems to care until some terrible happens, and it is likely to.

I have never once acted out aggressively toward any of these people because I am aware of the consequences, and I rarely if ever engage in dialogue with them because I realize that they are all sick.

Basically, if you want quiet, find 10 acres, build a house in the middle and string up an electric fence. I really can see no other options.

Again, I do not feel persecuted, but with neighbors I have had the worst run of luck for the last 15 years of anyone I know.

I am now in zero tolerance mode and report everything and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. After all, I'm not trying to win a popularity contest, and I certainly do not want any of these people, who dislike me for doing what is right, as friends.

I know this does not help, but I just want you to know I have been down this road.

By the way, one reason other neighbors will not assist you fully is because they are all doing something wrong themselves.

I am certainly not perfect, but I do respect other people's right to live without my interference, and I do realize that things I do affect other people.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um......call the cops. Stop talking about it. Stop pondering about it. Stop daydreaming about it. Call the cops. I can't believe that something like this requires our input. I'm sorry if you're around 15 years or younger. If so, get your dad to call the cops.

If you're afraid of the police thinking you're nuts, talk to the neighbours and ask them to call on the same day as well.

Done and done.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Next time there is a party, call the cops and take pictures of the bust up and post them here.

22. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i agree, this is deffinately the best way to go. start blaring around 8-9am every day.

23. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

Get some rotting meat, put it on a bunch of stick and randomly place them in their back/front yard. Or you can make it look more professional by putting it in a fence sorta thing around their yard.

If you know where their utility box thingy is, while their having a party go over and more or less destroy it.

But, if you wanna do it the "morally correct" way, call the cops.

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You might also start showing up at their parties and making yourselves unbearable jerks in a party sort of way. They'll be gone before you know it.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If there are is a bunch of continous naked outdoor antics, you could always put their home on a live webcam.

And hope you have something to sell to "America's Dumbest Neighbors"

Just try to find some way to shame them and make some cash at the same time.