Sigh-Yet another 11 vs 13 inch MacBook air...sorry

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macdudesir, Nov 24, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

First, let me apologize for another 11vs13 inch forum. Ok, so I'm getting a MacBook air for Christmas and I can't decide between the second spec 11 inch MBA (1.6ghz i5 4gb ram 128gb hard drive) and the base 13 inch. The base 13 is 100 dollars more but it's bigger and has a better battery life and it's .1ghz faster, but it's bigger is also a con. And I dot really need that extra .1ghz because i have a custom 27 inch imac, but the extra screen size would be nice. And the battery life would be a huge plus. And the opposite goes for the the 11 inch. Sorry for lack of detail im on my iPhone. If you need more let me know :)

2. macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Sounds like it's all up to the screen.
    Get a 13" if you think you'll take advantage of the bigger screen.

I have the 11" and couldn't be happier. I love this thing.

3. Guest

Surely

What do you want people here to tell you? Clearly you know the pros and cons of each..... just get the one you want.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, speedy replies! I think I'm gonna go with the 11 inch.13 seems like it could take the ultraportableness(is that a word?) away from the MacBook air. "
    I have the 11" and couldn't be happier. I love this thing." that actually helped a lot!
    Thank you!

5. macrumors 6502a

TheJing

That's what I thought too. But the 13" Air is quite portable too.

Just go to an Apple Store or Retailer and play with them for a while, pick them up and see if there is a big difference to you.

But I have to say, the 11" is a fantastic toy.

6. Guest

Surely

Toy? It's not an iPad:rolleyes:;)

7. macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Haha! I consider anything I don't need a toy. ;)

8. Guest

Surely

Ha fair enough.

I'm probably going to buy an 11" MBA this weekend, and I'll be using it for work. It's plenty of machine for my purposes, plus I have a 24" monitor that I'll be using when I'm not on the go (or on the couch).

9. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I've gotten rid of my 27" iMac and 13" Air, and bought an 11". It's now all I have apart from a dell 2209wa which I plug it into at the desk. It's great for web dev, if I could have anything added to it, it'd be a couple more hours battery life.

10. Guest

Surely

Which 11" do you use? The base 64GB/2GB or the 128GB/4GB?

11. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

128gb/4gb

12. macrumors 6502

I got the 13 inch a couple days ago and I love it, the screen size is comfortable, yet it's still slim and light enough to tote around.

13. Guest

Surely

Yeah, that's what I figured. That's the one I'll probably be buying this weekend. The $849 64GB/2GB is very tempting, but I know that 2GB of RAM just won't cut it.

14. NutsNGum, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

One piece of advice, get yourself a Radtech Screensavr, as the space bars on the Air seem to be just at the right height that they can graze the screen when it's closed.

15. Guest

Surely

Thanks, I've added it to the list.

I didn't have any issues with that happening when I had a MBP, MB, or iBook. Is this an issue only with the MBAs?

16. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Mind me asking why?
    Purely out of curiosity as I plan on buying the largest possible next generation of iMac, whenever that may come out.

17. macrumors 68040

Seems like he was going the MBA+large display combo (link up to screen at home, unplug and bring MBA around whenever on the run), and felt having an imac was redundant. So may well sell the imac for the cash to fuel said purchase.

Don't think there is any problems with the imac per'se, just that it doesn't suit his lifestyle. :)

18. Guest

Surely

That's probably it. It's what I'll do if/when I get one. I have no need for two computers.

19. macrumors member

I'm thinking about a MBA as well (was dead set on a 13") but I'm really wanting portability (forgot my MBP is actually a 13" so getting the same size wouldn't really help...) so I'm thinking the 11" will satisfy my need. I will miss the SD card slot though.

20. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Pretty much it exactly.

It's easier having all my work on one computer. I also keep a time machine backup incase anything breaks. The Dell monitor isn't as pretty, but I can choose where I want to set it. I didn't realise how much I missed height adjustment until I got it back.

That said, I love the iMac. I'd just prefer higher pixel density in a smaller screen. A 27" monitor can be difficult to fully take in at times, especially when you're tired.

21. macrumors 68000

I would have got the 11" but the 16:9 aspect ratio and much shorter battery life pushed me towards the 13. No regrets at all its the best computer I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch