Sighs!!! I dont know what to choose

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by prp134, Aug 3, 2005.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    SIGHS!!!!!!!!!Ok so with the new updated Ibooks, my decision to get a 12" PB has changed

So now I have no idea which one to get:

ibook G4 with 100GB Hard drive $1,230.61
    PB G4 with 100GB Hard Drive $1,672.06

Im leaning towards the ibook, only because its more economical right now, besides the new Macintels are coming so I might get a new one when the 3rd or 4th generation eventually comes out. I did the math and the difference between the two is 444.45 to be excat, thats a whole lot of difference.

I need some advice, with the recent updates is the ibook worth it and is it finally on the same page or near as the PB? I Like the PB's sleek and cool design better than the ibook's design, also the ibook is white and im thinking will tend to get sludge more than the PB, but then again it wont dent or scratch as easily as the PB.

Im really not going to use the laptop for anything special, just email, music and internet and word and some presentations for school, thats it, Im just tired of my VERY slow PC and want something new.

Im no computer whiz, I tried to look at the specs and compare them to see which is better but I have no clue whats the difference between both and which is better?

Can someone just offer some insight or make the choice for me, either way I know I'll like my new Mac, I also want to take advanteg of the offer to get a mini ipod for free and a printer for a hundred bucks. :confused: what should I pick?

oh yeah whats the deal with the student discount, the difference between the two models between regular price and the student price is for the ibook 50 bucks and the PB 100 bucks, whats the deal with that?? :confused: I could have swore that the price a few months ago was less, can I get a higher discount if I order through phone or mail order?
  2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    PB ardvarntagers: hook to external monitor, bit more performance speed, DVD movie copy drive, finely machined PB case.

iBook ardvarntagers: longer battery life, cooler temperature case, resists knocks better, more money to spend on the ladies. The white getting dirty is not an issue.
  3. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2005
    I was debating between the PB 15' and iBook 14'. I went iBook. Thats a HUGE jump in price. About $1000 but I realized I am not going to use the power of the 15' PB considdering I have 2 other computers. The iBook is a very usable computer.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The 12" PowerBook education price shows as $1589 with the 100 GB HD.

I did not add in tax,shipping or any other extras like RAM
  5. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    If you want something with more options, go Powerbook. However, if the money is a big thing to you, go iBook. It really depends on your preferences and needs.
  6. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    wel Im not saying im rich, but the money issue came up because what if i dont need all those options the PB has to offer and I wasted 400 bucks that I could spend on extra stuff for my ibook, thats why I cant decide, I can have either one but Im not sure which one? sighs I'll keep on pondering I have till sept23 :confused:
  7. tikibangout macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You can't hook an iBook to an external monitor?
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    You can, iBooks can mirror-- meaning, you would see the exact same image on your iBooks screen as on the external monitor. PBs can span, meaning you attain extra real estate-- as in, if you were using photoshop, you could put the image on the larger external display and leave the palettes on the iBook's screen.

prp134, I am interested in selling my PB which would have very very similar specs to the iBook you "built" and am willing to offer it for about that price. You can check out the thread if you're interested (click link in my sig).