'Sight-seeing' is not a good enough reason to visit the UK?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Jun 20, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6768405.stm

The travel industry spends a small fortune advertising the UK as a travel destination and this is the 'help' that they get.

The UK really is the home of the 'jobsworth'.

2. macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

That is a shame, but not entirely unexpected with rampant terrorism and whatnot :rolleyes: :(

3. macrumors 68020

srobert

I wonder when we can say we're at a point when terrorism prevention efforts cause more damage (economically, socially, culturally) than terrorism itself. Slippy terrain.

4. macrumors 6502

I *think* you'll find that's Belgium, actually ;)

5. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Once Scotland gets the freedom it demands and so richly deserves, the UK won't be worth much more than a 12 hour layover...

6. macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I would argue that we reached that point long ago.

P.S. What part of Montréal are you from?

7. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What? :confused:

8. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It sounds like some hate going on by the customs people. Much like what would happen between US and Brazil or Venezuela or ESPECIALLY Cuba. Probably just thought their "sightseeing" was going to lead to immigration.
    I hope "visiting friends" will get me in okay next visit. ;)

9. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Sorry - I just haven't been too impressed with England. I suppose an arguement could be made for the Lake District, but elsewhere just didn't call to me. Some of the people there are great, no doubt, but flying somewhere to sight-see just the people is kind of creepy.:)

Now Scotland....that's the place to be.

10. macrumors 6502

It always makes me laugh that so many Scots hate the English... whereas the English couldn't care less!

Back on topic: I have worked in the UK civil service and nothing, but nothing surprises me anymore. That said, I suspect there are quite a high number of people who apply for a temporary visa, then 'forget' to go home - so maybe coupled with the inability to speak English, this is a good way of preventing illegal immigrants draining the country's resources.

11. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Isn't that like saying Black people hate White America, but White America could care less? There's a definite oppressed-oppressor directionality here.... Of course it's the Scots who hate the English.

Anyway, back on topic redux, that's interesting. Britain is a popular tourist destination for Americans. I know I would like to spend more time there. But I suppose, not if I'm not wanted. :p

12. macrumors 68020

srobert

I agree we migth have gone too far but it's kind of a controversial opinion.

Always nice to meet a fellow Montrealer on the forums. I live about 600 m. from this thing.

13. macrumors G4

skunk

I expect you could "do" Paris in an hour, too. I mean, once you've seen the Eiffel tower, what else is there? Might as well get a postcard and save on the flight.

14. macrumors 6502

One could argue that 'real' oppression of the Scots by the English stopped several hundred years ago, so not really a fair comparison.

As a born-bred Englishman, I have no axe to grind with the Scots - if independence is their goal, then I say good luck to them.

15. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Paris takes a day and a bit - one for the Louvre and the rest to see the rest of the city.

Now that Brits are pushing back on my comment, I have to admit that I have a special place in my heart for Scotland and Scottish independence. I'm sure that I will enjoy the UK more after Holyrood gets full and autonomous control and the Queen leaves the Stone of Destiny alone.

16. thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Isn't that the title of the new Harry Potter book?

:p

17. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm pretty sure the comment about Paris in an hour was somewhat sarcastic (my sarcasm meter has been going nuts since I've been reading threads on macrumors--I'm not sure what's wrong with it) but I think you could see "the essential touristy thing" of any city in an hour. As mentioned,Pairs-Eiffel tower. Others not mentioned London -- of course Big Ben. NYC -- Empire State Building. Madrid -- the Prado.
    I can totally see why they would reject visas for sight seeing. They just didn't want them wasting their time. I'm sure they sent them back home with a picture of Big Ben at least.

18. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, non-english speaking people walking around the UK taking pictures of spots tourists flock to and spend money on, can be frightening. :p

19. macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I don't think a visa is required if you are traveling from the US to UK. All you need is a passport, though I may be wrong.

20. macrumors 6502

Signage is important on a visit to any strange new land... here's one that will definitely be useful to anyone coming to the UK:

Clicky.

Courtesy of the good ol' BBC and a book called Signs of Life.

21. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Something like that happened to my family a few years ago. We drove from Toronto to Niagara Falls (Ontario) and then crossed the border near the falls into New York State. When the customs official asked what was the purpose of our trip, my dad answered, truthfully, "sightseeing". But the way the customs guard reacted, he might as well have said "we're planning to bomb the bridge ahead". We had to open all our doors, he checked inside the vehicle, etc, etc.

After a little bit of driving around in Niagara Falls (NY), we realized why he got suspicious. :p We then proceeded to our real reason for entering the US: shopping.

22. macrumors 6502

This may seem ignorant of me, but the kind of attitude officials displayed in this case seems kind of arrogant.

I, myself haven't had as bad a experience getting visas as what's described in the article. I was at the Düsseldorf British.. Council? was it... 4 years ago... waited 6 hours in a crummy room with 40 other people during the summer without any kind of air conditioning until being interrogated, and then finally getting the visa stamped... but I went to the UK for English summer courses and what matters is that I got through.

The other issue was landing in Stansted and the border official giving me the most disgusted look when he saw I had a Romanian passport. Of course, I looked back at him, raised an eyebrow, and then I could see on his face a small hint of... [uh oh]. Luckily, the people I met after arriving were really cool.

23. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, benefits of supposedly not being on the axis of evil? :D

24. macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

I jsut got back from London

Did a May-mester class there and 3 weeks of pretty much just sightseeing the class was a bit much. Seeing Big Ben and Parliament kinda wasn't as impressive after the first week of seeing it nearly every day. Nice town though, too expensive, however great food.

Jumping into the Scottish bit, I was there for a political class and got to meet with Angus Robertson (guy who ran election for SNP in Scottish parlaiment) and Johnathan McTurland (guy who ran the Labour party campaign in Scottish parliament election). Between the two of them and everyone else of political authority I met along the way I can walk away convinced that the general concesus among the higher ups is Scotland should be an independent country now in about 10 years. However, Labour is highly against this move because it will take seats away from their party almost exclusively, specifically that of Gordon Brown. But, after hearing the whys and reasonings from both sides on whether Scotland should seceed, I can say I support it.

But what do I know, I'm just some stupid poly sci majoring Texan looking in on the situation.

25. Guest

garybUK

There's not even that much to see here, why would they bother?