Sigma 70-300 mm for D70

Discussion in 'Community' started by virividox, Aug 19, 2004.

1. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    so i got my d70 a couple weeks ago and ordered a the sigma lense

it arrived today but while inspeacting it at the dealers, thre are two tiny black spekcs about 7/8 from from center of the lense, inside, should i still the get the lense or get it replaced, i read on the net that its acceptable to have some, but i want to know your personal opinions

i shined a flash light through to check

2. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Being a D70 owner as well, I say get it replaced. We spend alot of money on equipment and it should be in the most perfect condition when we get it. I don't know the extent of what small specks could do to you image, but why risk it?

Again, this is just my opinion. I mean, there possibly could be no problem with the image. Maybe you can take in your D70 and take a couple of test shots with the lens. Never hurts to try it out.

Hope all goes well!

3. belair macrumors 6502

belair

Test it

I mean you could test the lense and see if anything is wrong.
    Just look around for a white uniform background and take a couple of shots with a small depht of field and some with a big depth of field. Make shure to take the pictures in the highest possible resolution and upload the pics and have a close look in photoshop.

If you find a black spot or a small grey blurry area, send it back.
    If not you should be fine.

4. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Test, (just to say you did) then replace if it is not perfect.
    Of course, as a Canon user this never happens to me. :)

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

As a nikon owner, it doesn't happen to me either, when I BUY NIKON LENSES> ;)

It COULD happen to you (and has happened to me and a few canon users as well) if you buy Sigma lenses. They're great, but their QC sometimes suffers a bit.

6. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

i talked to the dealer, i told him i wanted him to order another lens and compare the two; and ill pick the better of the two. he was hesitant at first but later agreed to it; ill have to wait another week or so but hey at least this way ill get to get the best.

7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Ha! I agree. Nikon lenses (in my opinion) are so superior. It's like buying a mac, they are more expensive at first, but they give you less problems, less expense over tim, and you're always more happy with the results.

8. yahooz macrumors member

are you positive the black things are in the lens and not in your viewfinder?

make sure they are not spots on the rear mount of the lens [probably dust from changing lenses]

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Although the above sounds simple, this has happened to me far more times than I would like to admit... ;)

10. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

well i did remove the lense and look AT the lense without the body.

11. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

make sure it is on the lens itself. it it is on the mirror it won't affect your pictures, it only affects the viewfinder. also, if it is on the lens and it is closer to the center i would get it replaced. the closer a defect is to the center of the lens, the more it affects the quality. you should look in to getting a nikon dx lens. they are more money but they will really show off your great camera!