Sign the Ashlee Simpson Petition!

Discussion in 'Community' started by sjjordan, Jan 16, 2005.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Probably one of the greatest online petitions to date:

Ashlee Simpson Petition

As a die-hard OU fan, I sat and watched the most destructive, heart-wrenching, performance of all time! My Sooner's did pretty bad too.

Currently, there are 35,843 signatures.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I personally thought the "Stop the Petitions at MacRumors Petition" was a much better cause...

Edit: Now if she teamed up with Gilbert Gottfried for a duet/tour the suicide rate in the US might just suddenly double.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

4. 3Memos macrumors 6502

I thought it was pretty good. It's the 21st century style of singing. Hey, when Elvis Prestley did his hip moves and curled his lips, that got alot of people talking. Ashlee is just carrying on the tradition for the next generation. :)

5. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

the generation where you don't need to have talent to become a singer. Just a famous sister, and a lot of money.

:( our poor kids.... sigh.

6. 3Memos macrumors 6502

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

was there anything in particular in that clip that was bad or was it just the whole thing? I never much cared for *pop* stars anyway - least of all the ones given the hype....

D

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I signed it. Doubt it'll do much good, but anything in an attempt to get rid of her...

9. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

Currently 37,637. A few thousand more than when this was posted.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Power to The People

It seems everytime this girl tries to fix her problem she screws up more!

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Music as an art has always been subjected to market forces...Sure, there is artistic brilliance to Bach and Mozart and Handel and much of what they wrote isn't, so to speak, "corporate," but much of it was written particularly for the pleasure of monarchs (and may still very well have a great deal of artistic merit). Important features of classical music, though, are that it is old and doesn't have words. All art increases in value with age. Music without words probably does in particular because it is free of much of the time- and locale-dependence that could otherwise render it quaint or obsolete.

Therefore, pop music, perhaps even pop music that is abhorred by many of us today, good very well be interpreted as quite brilliant in the future. A few things going against Ms. Simpson, though:

1) She doesn't write her own music. This takes away almost all hope that she, herself, could ever be credited as brilliant (and her music by extension, because the story of the brilliant musician is more interesting than that of the brilliant writer of music).
    2) Her music has words. I discussed the drawback of this previously. This is compounded by the fact that her target audience is young and immature, so her subject matter is not of particular originality. This leads to...
    3) Her audience is not elite and refined. I would argue that part of the advantage that the great classical composers had was that they were sponsored by the very elite of society, marked by their great wealth and perceived sophistication. Therefore, just as today the power elite would identify with this genre of music, these musicians identified with the power elite. This allowed them to create a bond that would add to their credence and their mystique. Their credence because the opinions of those with power and prestige is most likely to be valued. Their mystique because their association with such individuals would make them seem inaccessible (and therefore worthy of striving to, instead of simply enjoying) to the commoner.
    4) She does not enjoy critical acclaim. This relies on logic that is similar to that above. Those music critics contemporary to Ms. Simpson with the power to judge and to disseminate their opinions have not done so in her favor. I'm not sure about this one, though, because I'm not quite sure what contemporary reviews of the classical composers said.

Anyway, that's my take. As far as the petition: Funny but meaningless.

13. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Too bad if you were the record company or *cough* her dad all that really matters is the bling bling.

which brings me to an interesting point. Whether or not she can sing, I'd buy Natalie Portman's album if she had one :D . But really, Ashlee Simpon... WTF

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

all she seems to care about is how she's "not like her sister"

well shes not: shes ugly, she can't sign, and she's not living off her own talent but her sisters!

i gotta say.... thats pretty different.....

jeez thats pretty mean now that i re read it. :eek:

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The thing that makes the clip funny for me is the fact the audience boos after she's done, or maybe they were booing the whole time and you couldn't hear them over her 'singing' voice.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I actually feel sorry for the poor girl.

Who cares if she can't sing? Just don't listen to her. Lip-sincing was one thing, but she got so much **** for that and now she has stopped, like everyone wanted, now people don't want her to sing at all? Just turn down the radio or the TV.

scem0

17. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Ashlee Simpson looks great on TV :) But so does Kelly Clarkson when shes decked out in make-up. :eek:

18. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

She got so much bad press over the lip-syncing because she was so much against it. Now, that she doesn't do it you can hear how bad she actually is. The petition is obviously a joke and isn't meant to be taken seriously. If she ever gets told that 30,000 people signed a petition to stop her singing I bet she'll feel pretty bad until she sees that 100,000 bought her songs.