Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
After i got blackra1n on my 3GS with ATT, i ran the unlock. It worked perfectly ( i tried it with a T-mobile SIM).So did the tethering hack. Since the unlock, i've been having random signal dropouts. I might be in the middle of a phone call and the signal bars will drop to zero, and then NO SERVICE comes out, after 5-10 seconds, the signal comes back up like nothing happened. I thought it could be a spotty location, so i tried it at work. I was receiving a phone call, the screen turned on showing the person calling, then after 2 rings, the phone showed "missed call" and the signal bars dropped again. I though it was my phone only, so i did blackra1n on my friend's 3G, he ran the unlock as well. He told me he got signal drop outs as well.

I was using the tethering hack. I was downloading a 6mb file, out of the sudden, the transfer stopped and when i checked the phone again it said NO SERVICE. Im at work where i always have 100% 3G signal. I did a restore and installed blackra1n but not the unlock and so far, not one signal drop out (the bad part is that i dont have my tethering option anymore). Has this happened to anybody else?

musox

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2001
Experiencing same issues within 24 hours of blackra1n on 3Gs 3.1.2. Never installed the tethering hack.

cridiron

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
I had the same problem. Service would drop and say No Service almost every time I went online. Also my visual voicemail was not working.

Here's what I did:
-Using a 3GS - I was on 3.0
-Did an option-upgrade to 3.1.2
-Ran blackra1n
-Unlocked with blacksn0w (I have AT&T, but I ran the unlock for the tethering)
-In doing all this I never upgraded my carrier file to 5.6

After about 24 hours, I realized that's what I should try. I upgraded my carrier to legit AT&T IPCC 5.6 and I've been golden since. No dropped service. Also my tethering hack still works.

iroger

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
I was too having the same problem. But once I updated my carrier to 5.6, it works great...

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
I was too having the same problem. But once I updated my carrier to 5.6, it works great...

How do you update carrier settings? I have just left o2 and wish to put the vodafone carrier settings.

meow.meow

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
I'm experiencing the same problem after I jailbroke my phone with blackra1n. I have an iPhone 3g 3.1.2 AT&T 5.6. I restored my phone and still have signal dropouts. Anyone know how I can fix this? :(

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
Well, i got it fixed (but i lost the unlock). I restored the phone and i installed blackra1n again WITHOUT installing the unlock. No More signal drop outs... I installed Rock, added the sinfuliphonerepo source and downloaded the "enable tethering on 3.1.2 3GS file" and now it works perfectly!, now i got the tethering back...

Strategy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Im having this problem too, really annoying. I have the offical att carrier file so im not sure what the issue is.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Reset Network Settings

Also consider setup as new next time. I perform this method since 2008 without any problems.

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I was tethered and on the phone via bluetooth. Full signal and the call disconnected, the signal went from full signal to "no signal" for about 1 minute and then came back to full signal.
This was on a freshly setup 3.1.2 jailbreak w/blackra1n. I was having all kinds of other problems with cydia so I don't know if it was a 3.1.2 or a jailbreak problem. Since then, I've spent all day today restoring (multiple times) and jailbreaking before I finally have everything working tonight (hopefully).

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Same problem here. Did a fresh install of firmware 3.1.2 and used blackra1n to jailbreak. Now I get rather network drops with or without tethering. I have tried doing fresh restores and resetting network settings but still experiencing network drops.

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
Most likely its caused by the sn0w unlock, as it modifies the baseband firmware... I did blackra1n, installed Rock and enabled tethering using the sinfuliphone repo. Not a single signal drop in 2 days... My advice, if you dont need the unlock (ATT customer), simply add cydia/rock from blackra1n, then add the previously mentioned repo to enable tethering.

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Most likely its caused by the sn0w unlock, as it modifies the baseband firmware... I did blackra1n, installed Rock and enabled tethering using the sinfuliphone repo. Not a single signal drop in 2 days... My advice, if you dont need the unlock (ATT customer), simply add cydia/rock from blackra1n, then add the previously mentioned repo to enable tethering.

Yea it seems blacksn0w is causing the signal drops. I didn't install it this time after jailbreaking my iphone with blackra1n and everything seems to be fine. I wonder how many people who are using blacksn0w are affected by this...

*Edit* Strange but I jailbroke my iphone using pwnagetool 3.1.4 than downloaded blacksn0w from cydia and I haven't experienced a signal loss yet. I will continue to update.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
blacksn0w hasn't had any negative effect on my 3GS. It's the tethering hacks that screw up my service. They kill wifi, 3G and VVM on my phone.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Any updates? The signal constantly dropping (seemingly a few times an hour, including during usage i.e. phoen call) is becoming a problem.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Does it help to use pwnage tool + blacksn0w instead of blackra1n + blacksn0w?

hilton01

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
add me to the list of people with the exact same issue.. i'm probably going to try the restore and then jailbreak without the unlock.

UPDATE: After a restore I used blackra1n to install Cydia and Rock, but NOT sn0w and that has completely solved the dropped calls and intermittent "no service" problem. Tethering still works with PDAnet. So, as others have pointed out, the problem seems to be with blacksn0w.

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
I was having problems (previous post). I had setup the phone as new and ran blackra1n and blacksn0w, enabled tethering. I still had problems. Tried the reset Network settings and even tried reset All settings. After all that, I would still loose all signal and show "searching". Usually when I answered a call. For the last week I haven't had any problems :confused:

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Blacksn0w

This appears to be a problem with Blacksn0w. Removing blacksn0w seems to solve the problem.

It does NOT appear to be a problem with blackra1n, as I've also had the same problem using pwnage tool to unlock + blacksn0w. Removing blacksn0w solved my problem, but now i've lost my ability to natively tether.

amithatguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
I have this problem as well.

Initially, blacksn0w + blackra1n would cause my phone to not be able to boot no matter what a few days after the JB. Restore was needed to fix it.

I already tried restore, then blackra1n without blacksn0w. That stopped the not being able to boot problem. But now I have the problem described in this thread. signal dropping & can't get it back until reboot, which has to be tethered to PC (PITA). Happened during a call yesterday with a horrible noise on both ends of the call.

Any suggestions? Any news if @geohot (George Hotz) is acknowledging this problem & working on something to fix it??

BY THE WAY, 32GB 3GS

Thanks,

EDF

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I had the same issue until I removed one of the application management things that started with an I....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.