Signal to Noise Ratio at Macrumors

Discussion in 'Community' started by sergeantmudd, Jul 11, 2003.

1. sergeantmudd macrumors member

I was wondering what people think about the format of Macrumors. I think it is important to hear everyone's voice on a discussion site, but it's hard to read to 150 comment long threads. As Macrumors grows, it just gets harder to hear the good comments through the pointless ones. Has anyone runnning Macrumors thought of changing the moderation systems before? What do other people think?

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i know exactly what you mean. That is why I rarely go into the rumors discussion forum, or the pol. forums; there is simply too much stuff to sift through.

I agree that its difficult to read the threads sometimes, but how is this an issue of moderation? Are you suggesting only some people be allowed to post? On certain days? During some moons?

-tazo

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I agree, when I see a thread has gone over 2 pages long I rarely even take a look anymore, you end up having to scroll past 6-7 crap posts before getting to anything even remotely on topic.

4. sergeantmudd thread starter macrumors member

moderation

what i mean about moderation is promoting the good and demoting the bad. something along the lines of slashcode. i think slashcode would be overkill for the number of the users at macrumors though. is there any in between option people know of?

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

In terms of moderation, the most effective and unused tool is to report posts that are spam, off-topic and/or flames.

As for "bad" posts that you don't feel add to discussions...not much can be done. If it's always the same person you can set your options to ignore their posts. But if people are following the rules there's no reason to punish them for having "less" to say about the topic than someone else.

6. sergeantmudd thread starter macrumors member

heh

well, obviously there is some moderation going on. that comment before yours disappeared. :)

that was a joke though. i don't want to make the moderators defensive, but it is hard to read the entirety of long threads. it's hard to read real commentary about the G5 when people keep posting "w00t!!! Apple rocks!!!"

I read Macrumors pretty regularly, and it appears to be getting busier to me. Slashdot.org has some info on how their system developed here. I am just opining on how to make Macrumors as readable as possible for a long time despite how much it grows. And I am talking about promoting much more than demoting. I don't think w00t posts deserve to be deleted, I just think it makes finding real discussion harder.

7. vniow macrumors G4

Usually I only read the longer threads only if I've been there from the beginning, otherwise I just go through the first couple of pages because it just starts repeating itself after that, other longer threads that seem intresting though I'll read through the whole thread, depends on the time I have...

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

No defensiveness here, sergeant. Just trying to explain how our system works.

Since this forum is running on vBulletin, arn is limited in his flexibility to enact radical changes like the ones you're proposing. Maybe future versions of the software will allow the kinds of things that /. has done, but for now we use the tools we have to the best of our ability. :)

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree with vniow that rather than read through everything especially major announcements, just look for the longer posts. The other option if you find a particular person's comments irrelevant most of the time, is go to their profile and click on ignore. This is good for those who continually espouse only one view or are notorious one liners when it comes to posting. Neither is very effective though when it comes to major announcements. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

10. ddtlm macrumors 65816

As the forums continue to grow I think it would be great if it were possible for threads to support sub-threads like Slashdot does, so subtopics can be pursued without things getting messy. I'll periodically find a long thread with something way in the beginning that I object to, but posting a reply waaay at the end isn't very attractive.

Whatever is done I hope that consideration is given to allowing unpopular opinions to be heard. Sometimes on fan sites the fans can be hard on those who express different views...

11. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

The easiest way to recieve recognition is doing this!

Building up a repuation to having well thought and well put opinions will give you recognition in the future.

12. Winston Smith macrumors regular

I've moved to posting only when I think I've really got something to add.
    I find the easiest way to reduce the noise ratio is only to read threads which appear to involve people who's opinions or post subject matter I've grown to respect/be interested in as wardovsky points out.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sometimes I have something simple to say. Sometimes I have something technical to add (but rarely). I really don't know much about the technical side to computers. Should I just be weeded out of every thread in the Rumours forum?

Also, this place is rather dry and humourless as it is. A 1 or 2 line post from someone, whether it be a smart post or simple humour, makes things more interesting to read, believe it or not. ;) Its better than the long-winded group, and the group that quotes an entire post even when it's the post directly before his own. That's just unnecessary, in my opinion. Oh, and the group of guys that quote a long post, but are only interested in responding to a single statement within that post. Why not just cut the quote down to what you're interested in replying to?

And I always enter a Rumours thread 5 or more pages into it (bad luck ;)), and sometimes I choose to reply, but I always apologize for not reading the entire thread. I always read the first 2 pages, and

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

oh god.... if everyone posted in large font it would get kind of annoying.

;)

And yes - I know you didn't mean that you should post in size 4 to get recognized, I just had to comment on it.

scem0

15. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

I think typing in the smallest font would be worse ;)