Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greg_C

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
USA
I just bought and set up a new Apple TV and am loving it so far, including the free one-month Netflix trial. However, can I use that subscription for the iPad/iPhone Netflix apps? I tried my AppleID password but it didn't work - does the subscription through Apple not allow you to use it on devices besides the Apple TV? Kind of a deal-breaker if I end up paying $8 a month and can't use it away from home.

Also, on an unrelated note - Google is telling me House M.D. is available on Netflix, but I can't find it through the ATV interface. Is the content you can access limited in any way, or should the full Netflix catalog be available?

Thanks!

-Greg

Greg_C

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
USA
You need to sign onto the apps using your Netflix ID and password, not your Apple one.

Thanks for the quick reply - I have never used Netflix before, so I don't have an ID or password...Do I need to create one through their website? If so, will it be tied to my AppleID that I used for my ATV? I don't want to end up with two separate subscriptions somehow.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Thanks for the quick reply - I have never used Netflix before, so I don't have an ID or password...Do I need to create one through their website? If so, will it be tied to my AppleID that I used for my ATV? I don't want to end up with two separate subscriptions somehow.
Yes, and it is not tied to you apple ID. Completely separate.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Also, on an unrelated note - Google is telling me House M.D. is available on Netflix, but I can't find it through the ATV interface. Is the content you can access limited in any way, or should the full Netflix catalog be available?
House isn't available for instant streaming - just discs through the mail.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Netflix uses the email address you signed up with as your login ID. I would assume that when you signed up it had you create a password as well.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Yes you can watch NF on your ipad, computer and atv once you have a subscription. Did you buy an atv 3 or 2? If a 2 its worth jailbreaking and get THOUSANDS of programs. Otherwise the atv is pretty white bread.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I had the same problem I used my apple Id has my Netflix user name and hit the reset password it will email you the link to reset or in this case setup the password to use to sign in on non atv devices

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
I had the same problem I used my apple Id has my Netflix user name and hit the reset password it will email you the link to reset or in this case setup the password to use to sign in on non atv devices

Thank you!! I didn't know you could do this.

Greg_C

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
USA
Thanks to all for the replies - I used the reset password link to create a password, and now I can log in on all my devices. Seems to be working great!

Thanks again!

-Greg

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Thank you!! I didn't know you could do this.

Thanks to all for the replies - I used the reset password link to create a password, and now I can log in on all my devices. Seems to be working great!

Thanks again!

-Greg

no problem, they almost make it too easy to signup on the appletv they should of made it the standard signup process just have "iTunes account" option for billing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.