Significance of Sept 25?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by msev, Aug 30, 2005.

1. msev macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2005
    I am looking to buy an iMac. There are some deals and offers that expire on September 25. For example: ipod mini with education purchase, same as cash with 'apple credit card', $100 off printer... What is the significance of this date? Should I wait to purchase until after September 25? I dont care too much about the ipod mini, I will probaly sell it on ebay. Will they be enhancing something in the iMac or introducing something new? I can wait a few more weeks. I am looking for the best value. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks.
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    September 25 is right around the big Paris expo... where it's likely that new products will be announced.
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    it's exactly 9 months after christmas, or 3 months before, depending on how you look at it. also exactly 2 weeks after september 11th.

but i think those two things have no bearing on the apple promotion. i agree with clayj that it's to do with the paris expo.
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    It's my brother's birthday, although I suspect it's nothing to do with that...
  5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The iMac probably won't be updated at the Paris expo, so if you are sure you are gonna be buying an iMac and buying it soon, you might want to go ahead and get it to take advantage of the promo, but there will certainly be SOME new product announced at the Paris expo, so you might want to wait too.
  6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Even if they were an iMac update, knowing Apple it would probably be a really stupid update like a .1Ghz faster processor :p
  7. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    Ahh, that's too bad. Your brother deserves a little more concideration me thinks... :D
  8. rama macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2005
    hey, i am under the same dilema. I have decided to put off buying the iMac till the next update, which if not by end of september will be before chirstmas...
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    There is no way of knowing when the next update will occur. The iMac was updated on May 3rd. According to the MacRumors Buyers Guide it's at Mid-cycle. With Apple there is no way of knowing for sure. The previous update cycles have varied.

You should purchase a new iMac when you have a need.
  10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Hey – Apple have never laid a bash on for one of my birthdays, and I actually buy their stuff...
  11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Hey, one rumor has the PowerBooks getting a whopping 0.03 GHz speed increase. (From 1.66GHz to 1.7GHz.)

And if IBM's info is correct, then the new dual-core procs will top out at 2.5GHz, which means we'll probably be back to the days of 'dual slower than single' machines. (Back when single-proc G4 was 733MHz, but dual was only 533.) Admittedly, two dual-core procs are the equivalent of four procs, so four 2.5s are probably still better than two 2.7s.

Of course, the delay could have been waiting for IBM to actually make available a 3GHz proc.
  12. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    It's my Mum AND Dad's birthday...

They were born on the same hour, same day, same month, same year just 1000 miles away from each other and ended up marrying each other (still married, 28 years later).

I'd say that's pretty significant.

Other than that.. it's when the Apple expo Paris ends.
  13. camomac macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Left Coast
    Sept 25 is um well...

sweet jesus it's a Sunday, the lords day... or wait yeah i also think i coincides with Paris expo..