Signs of new G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Feb 6, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Apple Store pulled the DP 2.0 Refurb. It has added the DP 1.8 at $1999 (excellent price, unless the noise/chipring sound will bother you) and also added 1.8 SP as new/unopened. Maybe they are selling off the last stock in prep for an announcement? Many are saying March 26th.

2. mkaake macrumors 65816

Re: Signs of new G5?

don't put any stock in the refurb store - they sell what they have on hand.
    you prolly won't see any indicators at all of the new g5's... imho - in the past, all speed bumps to machines have come fast and quiet, (and with immediate shipping available)...

matt

3. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

The wait totally sucks. I'm this close (makes hand gesture) to buying a 1.6 or 1.8 G5!
    BTW, the Apple price for the new 1.8 single is high considering other resellers have it for $1749 with free RAM and other goodies.

4. PHARAOHk macrumors regular

I'd like to think that all of the recent software updates is a sign that we are really close to updated G5.

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

It's been close to 8 months since the G5 debut, and there are still no real speed increases. At this point Apple might be better off forgoing the high-end 2.6, and jumping straight to 3.0.

High-end: Dual 3.0 G5, 1.5 Ghz FSB, ATI 256 stock

Mid-level: Dual 2.6 G5, 1.3 Ghz FSB, ATI 128 stock

Low-end: Single 2.4 G5, 1.2 Ghz FSB, ATI 128 stock

Why make a bunch of dualie 2.6 now when the dual 3.0 is only four months away. Doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider economies of scale and demand for the G5. I wouldn't buy a dual 2.6 in March when I know the dual 3.0 is coming in June.

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yes, why not dreaming. But maybe it takes longer until the 3.0 arrives. Anounced at MWSF and available in Sept.

But I hope you are right.

7. GigaWire macrumors 6502

What is more likely is announced and shipping. Upping the G5 right now makes no sense.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think they should drop the single on the PM and go all dual...that way they have only one basic box to configure.

I see 2 / 2.6 / 3 and I agree, why not 3 now rather than another tweak in 4 months. 2 is tried and tested and none to shabby. Keeping it might allow the price point to also be kept as a single.

They also need those new lcds...I see joint launch with new G5s

Jason

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I wish the rumor sites would give us more information to go off of. But I do agree, Jobs said this will be a great anniversary year for apple, so we may see up to 3 GHz in advance of his date he set out to achieve. It would make sense if he announced powerbook G5s alongs side the new powermacs at speeds up to 1.8 or 2Ghz. I am fervently hoping for any update.

10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

The rumor that March 26th will be the date is all based on the fact that Apple Australia has a trade-in program that expires on March 26th.

I seriously doubt that Apple would base their new G5 release on a trade-in program in Australia, do you? (I love the Aussies, but come on!)

Nonetheless, its about the only date mentioned recently that has even a shread of evidence to support it.

I still bet that once you have heard that the 10.3.3 update is available for download, you can expect some sort of hardware announcement within a few days or weeks. Since the 10.3.3 seed has been pulled, and is not expected to be reintroduced until next week, I would say we still have four or five weeks to wait. Remember, they will want to put this update into the new machines.

Let's hope they surprise us.

11. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I heard that the seed wil be reposted in 1-3 days. In addition, as of today iLife 04' is shipping with all new macs. This paves the way for new updates because Apple would want any new product to ship with their most up-to-date software. Now all we have to wait for is 10.3.3.

12. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

You guys that are saying why update now when another update (3.0 GHz) is in 4 months...you have to remember that this may not even happen. There is obviously some sort of hold up going on at IBM and Apple that has delayed new speed bumps to the G5. Maybe this has to do with Virginia Tech upgrading to XServes...maybe there is a quality control problem...who knows...maybe even this could happen: We all know that Apple has had the 2.6 GHz G5's in testing for quite some time...what if they make the jump to 3.0 GHz now? I know this is unlikely, but the longer we wait for a speed bump, the more this scenario is likely. I guess the only two companies that know what is going on are Apple and IBM. Also, maybe they are gearing up for the iMac's transition to the G5...we all know it is coming. Or, maybe the iMac will be retired with a new Mac that is in the Prosumer range that uses the G5...that could be interesting...These are just some speculations and/or opinions. Also, those saying that there will be delayed shipping once the speed bumped computers are announced are wrong! Whenever Apple introduces a speed bump, the machine is ready to ship...at least in the past this has been the case....

13. clr900 macrumors regular

I am on the verge of buying a g5 but I know that updates are coming and that I would hate myself if I didn't wait. My hope is that I will be able to buy a dual 2ghz for around the same price that single 1.6 is at right now.

14. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I don't believe they will release March 26th - It's a friday and they typcially release on Tuesday.
    I was ready to buy a DP 1.8 but stopped b/c of posting aboutthe noise/chirping they make.
    Does anyone know if this has been fixed?

15. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

If you wait for new powermacs they'll probably have that fixed.:D

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think it's important to remember that the promise that 3.0 Ghz G5s would come within a year was marketing speak, not a contract. Remember when the G5 was first announced in June, Job said repeatedly in the announcement something to effect to "Apple is delivering today" and the G5 video was to a song claiming, "right here, right now." They didn't ship until September.

3.0 Ghz G5s within a year could mean announcing them within a year of delivering the 2.0 Ghz ones, and then not shipping them for two months after that, which would put the 3.0 Ghz G5s in November, not June.

This is silly speculation of course. My only point is we shouldn't take the within a year promise too literally.

17. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I don't think anything at Virginia would make a difference. They used 1100 G5s, that is a lot to us, but not in terms of production. XServes were going in anyway...

18. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think a lot of people are going to be rather annoyed if this scenario takes place...

19. mowings macrumors newbie

I wish they would go back to a more customizable approach and let you choose your processor. Why not:

Chooose processor:
    Single 2.0, 2.2,2.4,2.6,2.8,3.0
    Dual 2.0, 2.2,2.4,2.6,2.8,3.0
    Video fx5200, Radeon 9600 Pro, Radeo 9800 pro

Lets get rid of this good, better, best business.

20. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Great idea, pity it won't happen...:(

21. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

What??

First I think that Virginia Tech's phone call and order right with the HUGE credit card was fullfilled even before Apple recieved their first shipment because that was it! Hence why Jobs said the they pissed off a lot of people and him clasping his hands together and saying that "we're really really sorry" in the last keynote this past January. And look at Apple now!!!! All that prestige and beating the pants off of all the other competitors (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) with Xeon or Opteron or Itanium 2 cpus with ballpark range of 1580 plus cpus and NOT ranking any higher than 19!!

I think Apple made the right choice, in order to backup their fastest desktop computer claim; even though they did retract it lately (technology is always advancing).

Now I personally like the Good, Better, Best policy. The Good, the Bad (for PC users) and the Ugly (meaning spank the Ugly off of AMD/Intel PCs lol) IS A GOOD THING. It keeps production costs low, expenses for storing stock of cpus and motherboard configurations (too vast), and keeps the bottom line smiling in the black. Black is lovely baby.

22. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Don't wait, just buy now.

I think that even if there are two updates to the PowerMac line this year, the first update would not offer significant improvements over the current systems. Sure the processors and graphics cards might be a little faster and the hard drives a little bigger but the next generation technologies would likely be held-off until the end of the year. By next generation I am refering to faster hard drives, RAM, PCI, 3 GHz processors, 3rd gen AirPort, 3rd gen FireWire, etc.

Right now, the dual 1.8 GHz PowerMac is great value and anyone who wants to buy a new Mac should not hesitate for a moment. This is a great computer that future software optimisations will make even better... and it is not that different from the high-end model.

We all remember what happened with the PowerBooks last year; every week it was rumoured that they were about to be updated and the updates did no happen until the end of the year. This is where PowerMacs are right now and anyone who holds-off buying one is only missing out on a good thing.

23. ionas macrumors regular

Good, better, best

well apple will stick to some system like good better best,

maybe they will extend it to 4 models, but i cannot see anything further.

most ppl just buy it with the normal components and no BTO options.
    these machines are in stock and will just be shipped - it is very easy that way.

further real "steps" between cpu speeds make it more likely that ppl will buy higher clock speeds; their psyche tells them to do so ;-)

i would like apple to get rid of all gfx cards but the 9800 or a price drop for the 9800.

(9600 default, +149-199 eur 9800)

24. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I notice in the Refurb Apple store page they seem to be only listing those items in stock - instead of just a check box next to the names
    And there are no G5 refurb last time I looked.

25. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I don't think that means anything unforunately, but....................

NEW POWERMACS ON TUESDAY! :D lol