SIIG card - anyone try using this?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DavidFDM, Apr 13, 2005.

1. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I need to add USB 2.0 and a second Ethernet port to my Quicksilver G4 tower. This card looks to fit the bill:

USB 2.0+FireWire+10/100 Combo
    http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=249

Has anyone tried this or know someone who has? Thanks.

David

2. DavidFDM thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I bought the card for a total price of less than $45 and decided to hope for the best. Worst case scenario was it would become a birthday present to one of my PC/Linux friends. The card arrived yesterday and I dropped it in the Quicksilver. I connected a couple of USB devices and booted up. The OS alerted me that a new network port was available so the 10/100 was working. Print Center saw the USB printer so the USB was working too. I didn't check the FireWire port but I imagine it's there too. I will post more info of usage if necessary.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sounds good to me. I've been happy with the quality of my UltraATA/100/133 card from the same company.

I need another USB 2.0 card or some sort of powered super hub. My 4 ports on my Adaptec card aren't enough.

4. DavidFDM thread starter macrumors regular

I installed 10.4 Server and it recognized the card. Woo hoo. All the ports were available.

5. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i'm using their 4-port internal SATA card. works fine in slot 4 of my PM 2.0. using the G5 bracket, i now have two more 250GB drives inside my PM and have a three drive RAID in addition to the stock boot 160 GB drive. no problems, except that i haven't been able to use the card in slots 2/3, but i think that's a problem with the G5 and not a card incompatibility problem.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I had no issues with their 2-channel internal SATA card in my G4. Might pick up a FW800 card from them...

7. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino