Silence the ringer. Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tbdbuckeyeitl, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2012
    Besides pushing the side button down to silence the phone. Can the iPhone 5 be silenced through the settings. My wife has an otterbox and it's a pain to move case to push physical button. Surely there is a way through settings or pushing the volume down. Please help
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2012
    This will not put the phone ringer to silent just a low ring.
  4. macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2012
    Do not disturb? :D

Or you can activate Assistive Touch.. go to Settings>General>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch

Turn it on..

Then a circle button will appear on the springboard.
    Press it. click device. click mute/unmute.

I haven't tried if it works. My phone is always is silent mode.

Tell me if it works. ;)
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2012
    How does do not disturb work. Will it allow for ringtones and alerts texts to be silent.
  6. macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2012

Here you go. I think do not disturb will put everything in silent with some exceptions.

Or you can do the mute/unmute from assistive touch if you're looking for a way to mute/unmute everything without touching the physical buttons.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2012

Is there an app that could put on homepage to silence the phone? Seems like there would be a switch for silent wifi Bluetooth etc thanks.
  8. macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2011
    Like mentioned above, it can be done through assistive touch. Settings->General->Accessibility->AssistiveTouch

Attached Files:

9. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Perhaps this is a jerky thing to say, but it's the first thought I had:

If your wife has a case that impedes the use of the phone's basic functions, maybe she needs to buy a better case. There are thousands that don't do that.

(Including some models by Otterbox themselves. My father-in-law has the one your wife does but my dad has another Otterbox which isn't quite so antagonistic.)
  10. macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2012
    I agree. A case for the phone should not be one that makes pressing of buttons difficult. Get a better case.

The Assistive Touch solution works as well.
  11. macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing!
  12. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2012

No that was not jerky or rude that is what she said she wants another case. I just got her the otterbox defender to keep it protected.
  13. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    Try letting your wife pick a case if she even wants one at all. Any accessory that inhibits basic function of a device is worthless.