Silent Hill: 0rigns

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Aug 25, 2006.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm a little worried about this game. Silent Hill games have always been excellent with their atmosphere and setting. I don't see how this could work on a portable without giving it a more arcade style of play, or another compensating feature. It's like comparing Resident Evil DS (poo) to the Cube version (give me nightmares, please).

3. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I know komami would not let these bustas mess up their prize series for a shoot em up...This game looks like it will follow the same formula as the others in the series(I'm sure it will have more action but not enough to mess up the pace which SH is known for).....although a new team is working on this I'm sure Team Silent is on the arses of all.

RE for the DS was a upright port and it pooed all over my DS.....this game is another story with new everything except the town itself so comparing them is a little off.

Bless

4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

OMG I just wet myself. I had no idea this was coming out. I thought a silent hill remake was in the works, not a prequel.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

not really, they're both the same in that they are survival horror games. My point is I've never played a game that successfully transfers the genre to a handheld system. story and everything aside. we're talking core game mechanics here regardless of anything else (story, graphics, music etc).

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Silent Hill on the small screen, has as much allure to me as GT4 on a psp.

Silent Hill games are about atomsphere, visceral experiences, audio that surrounds you and eats your soul.... On a handheld those will be watered down regardless of how great the bods at Konami are.

But I will reserve final judgment till it comes out - it has to be better than 'The Room' that really was a weakspot in the silent hill series.

7. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Although silent hill is based on that fear....not graphics really(check SH4 if you don't believe me)....its the story telling that gets people talking not all that the other jazz...and from what I saw from the gameplay trailer...it looks like it will keep that atmosphere.....I don't think the scare will be the factor here...its the story itself that would even work on the GBA.

I see what you are saying being its on a handheld and that SH feel might be downgraded but as long as that story is top then theres nothing to worry aboyt...plus Team silent is supervising and I trust those guys.

MRU.....the room story was top but the gameplay was made to annoy the player..thats what team silent had in mind....I think SH4 was an experiment.

Bless

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Must be taking a leaf out of EA's book then! :D

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's all down to the story? I don't know about that. Reading a horror book scares the reader because the readers imagination takes over (I even think this applies to text-adventure games), whereas playing a game the player uses less of their own imagination (like watching TV). When it comes to horror, or the common used horror technique of altering something we've been used to in the style of zombies or hell on earth. the better the graphics or the more real the image looks - the better. UNLESS it's playing on atmosphere (sounds, flickering images) to unnerve the player.

A game can be scary in action though. Take Doom. Even years ago it looked bad though a monster behind the player with low health and low ammunition would bring up fear. The desire to not let your character be killed. that technique has nothing to do with story, which is where this game might succeed in scaring the player.

sorry :p I studied a load on the subject some years ago for a little theory essay to see if 2D games (or rather those on the GBC/GBA, at the time) could ever be scary. I can see how they might get this right though. minute twitches to unnerve the player would work excellent here.

10. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Huh yeah......but have you ever played a silent hill game jimmi?....the story is the main factor not the action, scare.....these are elements to add to the game but by no means the big meat. Come for the story stay for the scare....thats what its about in old silent hill....this is why the movie was so hard to adapt for the big screen.....we are not talking about resident evil pop out of the closet scare:p ...RE is based on that type of horror thats why they had no problem bringing it to the screen(film major:) )

I'm not expecting this SH to be something from the console with all of the "things" that makes SH......I'm looking for my fix and I think this will do really good....why the worry..

Doom was scary to you?.....damn dude

Bless