silent startup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by objc, Sep 7, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2007
    Is there a way to make a Mac start up without making the boot chime noise? I know it will be silent if it's muted before shutdown, but it's easy to forget to do that.

My girlfriend starts up her Mac in class sometimes and it makes the boot chime sound and she would prefer it to be silent. Is it possible to press a key or something to bypass the chime?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2008
    United States

It is possible (kinda). I'm not aware of any way to turn it off via System Prefs. or anything like that. The only way I know of is to set your computer to mute automatically on shutdown. Check out this link (it explains it).

EDIT: I found this...not sure if it works with Leopard.

EDIT 2: Forget everything else i've posted. Go with these: (latest version of what i put above) and
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2008
    Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire, UK
    Ghetto method: find an old/broken pair of headphones. Cut the jack off the end as short as possible. Plug the jack into the headphone socket.
  4. macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    Why would this work ? Does it work ?

My MacBook is connected through the headphone socket to a set of SoundSticks.

The start-up sound still comes from the internal speakers. A headphone jack stuck in the socket is going to have the same effect (ie none).
  5. JNB
    macrumors 604

Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    Then there's something wrong with your MB. Anything plugged in to the headphone socket will route all sound through them, and disable the internal speakers. If yours is different, it's broke.

For the OP, if you mute prior to shutdown, then there will be no audible chime at the next startup.

With Automator, you can have a single action that first mutes the volume and then runs a shell script. I"ll have to see if you can shutdown from that.
  6. Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    ^I don't know about that being broke.

My iMac is plugged to an amplifier, but when I restart the start up sound is played via the internal speakers. Maybe it's the new fashion of the Intel Macs.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2008
    United States
    The OP said they knew they could mute it, but they want an option in case they were to forget to mute before shutdown. This is why i recommend this software, which installs into System Preferences. It will allow you to set a startup chime volume (or u can mute it). available here (worked for me on a Leopard MacBook):
  8. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2007
    The woman reports the same thing on her Macbook Pro. However, my Power Mac G5 at work plays the startup through external speakers or headphones if connected. Apparently a change on the new IA machines. Kind of a shame; I used the headphone trick before with a Powerbook, and the startup chime sounds much better through external speakers. I actually like hearing it; it's a nice way of knowing that the machine POSTed successfully.
  9. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2008
    Battle Ground
    my macbook also plays the startup sound through the internal speakers no matter what is connected.