Silent upgrade to REAL DDR G4s (7470) in 8 weeks...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by ricotta, Aug 16, 2002.

1. ricotta macrumors newbie

Just a thought...

Why is it taking 8 weeks to get the 1,25 Ghz G4 models around, although the 1 Ghz model is more than 6 months old?

The (possible) solution:
    Apples gets rid of his stock of the actual processor version (7455) cause it is limited to 1Ghz!!! (see below). In a few weeks motorola will ship the new REAL DDR processors (>1Ghz) and they will be used in the entire G4 line (silent upgrade).

(Same happened a few years ago with the first G4 models. The smallest G4 version used the mainboard of the old G3 models, when it came out. 2 months later also the smallest G4 was upgraded to the new mainboard, like the pro models.)

"MPC7455 Parametrics
    Processor Speed
    (MHz)600, 733, 800, 933, 1 GHz
    Bus Frequency
    (MHz)133"
    taken from:
    http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7455&node

Just a thought...

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I don't know much about computers ;), but doesn't a faster FSB (167 MHz) imply a new chip?

Anyway, I don't see apple making a "silent" update in a mere two months...sorry, don't see that happening. Live with the fake DDR...get used to it. :(

If we get new processors...we might get true DDR then. I just don't see it happening anytime soon :(.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh, that's going to piss some people off if it happens. But I see the possibility and it means that the new case design will be around for a while.

D

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Maybe just the dual-1.25ghz will get 7470s

The only reasons that I see for the 6-8 week delay of the 2x1.25ghz is that either ...

a. Motorola hasn't gotten the yields for the 1.25ghz 7455 to the level that Apple needs them, OR

b. Apple is waiting for Motorola to get the 7470 ready for use.

I don't see Apple switching the current dual-gig (anyone have a catchy name yet?), to a 7470. That would cause a whole lotta anger among the people who bought one of these (and rightly so).

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Not at all. As mentioned in half a dozen threads already, an overclocked G4 can easily use a 166Mhz bus. There's nothing preventing a G4 from running at 166Mhz except overheating and electron migration, but that's been solved with the new massive heat sinks and 3 fans apple added to the new powermacs.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Silent upgrade to REAL DDR G4s (7470) in 8 weeks...

You guys are living in a fantasy world...

If Apple actually had DDR processors available to them, they would advertise it.

Do you people really think Apple spends time trying to think of clever ways to "surprise" people?

An alternative, and more plausible reason the 1.25's are taking longer to ship are that Motorola can't make enough of them until then. Remember, this is the same company that was stuck at 500mhz for 11 months.

arn

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Oh yeah...the half a dozen threads I read, but forgot :). Thanks for reminding me...i'm having mental lapses quite often this week. I'm preparing for my MCAT test tomorrow...that'll be fun :(

DAMN! ITS THREE FANS NOW!:D :D :D
    Can't wait for three fans in the powerbook.;)

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Maybe just the dual-1.25ghz will get 7470s

I agree entirely... I think when the 1.25GHz G4 is benchmarked, it will suspiciously be substantially faster than the 1GHz G4 (more than the 25% one would expect) because it uses a 7470 and not a 7455. There is no 1.25GHz 7455. It would have to be a 7470 (or 7460?).

With the 7470 in the Power Mac, that would mean that this current generation of Power Macs will have to be the last or second last before the G5 (and by G5, I mean "the next big CPU"), because the 7470 is the end of the road as far as the G4 goes. If this generation is the last, then the G5 will most likely be here early in 2003... and if it's the next-to-last, then the G5 will most likely be here in 9 months, give or take.

Alex

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Maybe just the dual-1.25ghz will get 7470s

Just like there's no official 1.25 GHz 7455, there is no 7470.

[edit: I'm not saying there is not going to be an official 1.25 GHz G4... I'm just pointing out that you can't use the logic that because there is no official 1.25GHz 7455, that instead there must be this other mytical chip - the 7470... because there isn't an official one of those either]

arn

10. dwishbone macrumors regular

there is a long thread on this over at MacNN
    http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118543

it seems the overall concensus now is that Apple's official name for the new MoBo setup is "Adrenaline", the case design is called "Mirrored Drive Doors". Apple also refers to the new machines as "Dual Optical".

there have been some good serious nick names and some funny ones posted.

I like the names:
    Cyclops, WonderTwin, Gemini, Sterling, Airvent, Silverhawk, and Portal (Porthole)

11. ricotta thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Silent upgrade to REAL DDR G4s (7470) in 8 weeks...

Arn, although u are the god of macrumors ;) (compliments for ur work) i have to disagree. Im not livin in a fantasy world. As i already posted, apple did that already more than one time in the past (remember first G4 models with old G3 mainboard, and a few weeks later with the newer boards). That time i worked for an apple dealer and there were only 2% of buyers which tried to give their g4 on g3-board back.

The masses wont realize our disappointment about the slow front-side-bus problem!

It is the same with the Quicksilver models. There is absolutely none in stock anymore, cause apple knows, that nobody wants the old models anymore, if the new ones all are dual. Reflect this on the processor situation. Apple gets rid of the old ones...

Or see it from a different perspective: If the actual G4 is only an overclocked 7455 processor, there are people out there, which overclocked their dual quicksilvers to 1,2 Ghz succesfully several months ago. And apple/moto are not able to overclock the old processor to 1,25 Ghz with that big heatsink and (btw) 4! fans (2 small noisylikeaircraft powersupply fans, 1 big fan for processor, 1 fan for 5,25 bays) in less than 8 weeks?

Just think about it...

And lets hope, im right ;-)

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: Maybe just the dual-1.25ghz will get 7470s

I agree and disagree. If indeed the dual-1.25ghz are sportin' 7470s, I still think the G5 (from IBM) could still come out rather shortly. Apple could move the Powerbook to the 7470 (with DDR, etc), the iBook, iMac, eMac could go to the 7455, and the PowerMac would use the IBM chip.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: Re: Maybe just the dual-1.25ghz will get 7470s

Arn,

Motorola hasn't updated their site or issue Press Releases about a 1.25ghz 7455 or 7470 because Apple hasn't released the dual-1.25 yet. Motorola held back their press release on the 1ghz 7455 back in January because Apple didn't release the original Dual-Gig until after MWNY.

I'm still convinced that the Dual-1.25 will have a chip that's fully rated for 1.25ghz.

14. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Re: Re: Maybe just the dual-1.25ghz will get 7470s

Not yet, but it's on the Motorola roadmap... then again, the G5 and G6 are also on the roadmap... :)

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning

i think "stop-gap" is as good a name as any....:)

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maybe just the dual-1.25ghz will get 7470s

I totally agree... sorry my response wasn't clear.

I believe there will be a true 1.25 Ghz Motorola G4 that is being used in the new machines and not a "clocked up" version that people are talking about.

arn