Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Does anyone know how this is achieved via FCE? Also, can someone point me in the direction of a site that gives step by step directions? I'm sorta new to FC, but I'm not new to creating videos. Thanks!

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
Does anyone know how this is achieved via FCE? Also, can someone point me in the direction of a site that gives step by step directions? I'm sorta new to FC, but I'm not new to creating videos. Thanks!

Really no way to whip this up in FCE. This effect is created more during the shoot than in post.

MetalFace

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
think its a lot to do with lighting really low lit apart from one side and then played about with in after effects will probably do it but im not a master of the lights lol!

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
actually it can be done in post also, how you ask? I really don't know, but I remember around a year ago my friend that is an editor was messing around with final cut and was able to do it by mistake. I'll try and contact him and see if he remembers.

icrude

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
just shoot in front of a green screen, then put the footage into Motion, run the green screen filter, and reverse it. DONE.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
just shoot in front of a green screen, then put the footage into Motion, run the green screen filter, and reverse it. DONE.

i guess that would cause a problem with FCE then b/c it doesnt have motion :mad:

icrude

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
there might be a green screen effect inside the effects tab in FCE...if so, I would guess it's the same process

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

That's a part of it, but it's far from "done." The silhouette's in the commercials aren't true silhouettes. They have color on them, sometimes for earings, bracelets, or a pattern on a shirt, as well as the color of the iPod and headphones.

Lethal

icrude

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
That's a part of it, but it's far from "done." The silhouette's in the commercials aren't true silhouettes. They have color on them, sometimes for earings, bracelets, or a pattern on a shirt, as well as the color of the iPod and headphones.

Lethal

well I could get into how to use shake to make it look as real as possible....but our author is using final cut express......so I don't that would be very realistic. 'm just keeping it simple....and possible.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
there's a free FCE filter called isilhouette, but it looks like the quality isnt that great honestly and i'd rather know how to manually create the effect

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Shoot your person in front of a green screen (you might want to check aroung the internet on tutorials in doing so. Shooting green screen isn't as simple as it sounds) and then use the blue/green screen filter (or Chroma Keyer filter, I find that one to bring a better result) to make your matte.

With you're matte you want to do two things. Place the keyed (a word referring to a green screen key) video on top of a generated color which you can find under the effects tab in Video Generators->Matte->Color. Pick the color you want.

You should now have your person (in full color) in front of a solid color background. On your clip of the person in front of the green screen, add a brightness/contrast filter. Boost the contrast to define some edges and then lower the brightness a ton. This should give you the desired effect and (hopefully) some detail inside the silhouette as well.

Tell me how it goes. :)

P-Worm

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Shoot your person in front of a green screen (you might want to check aroung the internet on tutorials in doing so. Shooting green screen isn't as simple as it sounds) and then use the blue/green screen filter (or Chroma Keyer filter, I find that one to bring a better result) to make your matte.

With you're matte you want to do two things. Place the keyed (a word referring to a green screen key) video on top of a generated color which you can find under the effects tab in Video Generators->Matte->Color. Pick the color you want.

You should now have your person (in full color) in front of a solid color background. On your clip of the person in front of the green screen, add a brightness/contrast filter. Boost the contrast to define some edges and then lower the brightness a ton. This should give you the desired effect and (hopefully) some detail inside the silhouette as well.

Tell me how it goes. :)

P-Worm

I whipped up this half assed attempt last year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvhAd9wIdo) using what P-Worm just described. I did this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4YmE-qqv8) with After Effects shortly after

For the simple effect you're looking for... P-Worm's got it nailed.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ

An old post, yes- but I'm wondering if you ever did make a video? I'd love to see it if you did.

deux-ex-mak

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
compositing

Green screen, of course, but it's not a matter of applying a series of filters.

So if you are bound to FC you will have to be realistic about your limitations because FC is not a compositing app... like Shake is

You best bet is to have the best shot material as possible, in terms of even and adequate exposure of the screen, independent lighting for the subject, etc...

you won't be able to fix many problems coming from the green screen set in FC and even less so if you're not familiar with compositing.

by the way use green not blue, for this one :cool::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.