Silicon Valley vs. Hollywood

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shrek, Jan 23, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

Shrek

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-981882.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed

And isn't it ironic that Apple Computer, a company that openly asks it's customers not to steal music, is part of this coalition of companies that is fighting this bill. This is crazy, man! :p

2. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Not really they aren't saying 'STEAL MUSIC WHILE WE TRY TO SIDE TRACK A BILL'.

There saying that we don't like anti-piracy stuff cause were gonna lose money codeing and making sure it runs on our computers/platform.

3. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: Silicon Valley vs. Hollywood

I think you might have misread what this is about. Apple and other companies are opposed to government control over how and if computers can play, encode, copy materials from copyrighted items. They (APPLE et al) want you to have the freedom to have a computer or digital device that is not monitored or crippled by the government.

4. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this is not good. this bill has a pretty good chance of passing, i think... computer illiterate senators don't realize how bad this could be, for the public in general and the computer companies. most anti-piracy technology doesn't work, and any that's developed is sure to be defeated... but requiring it to be implimented will make things so difficult for legitimate users...

i suggest everyone go write their senators NOW, making a point that you don't pirate these things, but know the dramatic impact it could have on the industry in general. They need to know that hollywood is trying to find a quick fix for this that doesn't exist.

bad.

pnw