Silicone keyboard covers, anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nooboob, Dec 13, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Is anyone using a silicone keyboard cover? Just wondering seeing how I've heard that the fans, which vent air ventilation from the keyboards, would spin faster or not get enough air intake. Debating whether or not to get one...

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No air is vented through the keyboard. There is a solid sheet under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful air flow. All venting is through the rear vents near the hinge. That's why Mac notebooks can operate in clamshell mode, with the lid closed.

3. macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

I was satisfied with mine but I was constantly cleaning my screen because it would leave a residue on the display. If you dont mind that then I'd say go for it.

4. macrumors 6502a

The real problem is finding one that fits over the current latest MBA. I had to get one that's for Snow Leopard on the old one.

5. macrumors 6502

Tried it for a couple of days, but ended up removing it. Didn't like the feel.

6. macrumors 6502

ditto

7. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've reviewed the iSkin here. Fits on nicely. Only downside is that the light from the backlit keys doesn't shine on top so its not ideal for night usage. That said, they do have an entire range so just go with a see through one.

8. macrumors G4

On airplanes I use a Rearth silicone cover. It's pretty small, and it holds up well.

9. macrumors member

gerbil

Moshi keyboard cover

I use a Moshi keyboard cover. Thin and fits my 11" MBA very well. Transparent so you see the keyboard light up. I love my coffee and I've already seen two threads on here in the past two days about spills on their Macs so I'm going to play it safe.

10. macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I had one, used it for a few weeks, then gave it away because I hated it. I couldn't type or play online tetris. My fingers couldn't slide across my keyboard like they needed to.

11. macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's how I felt when I first gone mine, but I got used it afterwards and I like it. It gives my keys a grip feeling.

Oh, I have a Moshi Keyboard Cover. Doesn't look tacky as some of the other ones I've seen IMO.

12. macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I got mine at either the Apple store or MacAuthority. It wasn't a Moshi