silly hard drive inquery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mjms4, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mjms4 macrumors newbie

is there anyway to physically remove the data on a hard drive by opening it up or something to that affect? probably not...

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

What exactly do you mean by "physically remove"? If you mean to literally open up the case and read things off the disk then no, that's not possible.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Or do you mean erase a drive physically? If you have a very strong magnet you can erase it to some extent. :)

There are companies that'll reconstruct data from a dead drive but the process is very expensive.

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Do you mean you WANT to erase data from your harddrive, as in gone-for-ever? We tend to assume that sort of question is from someone who wants to save info, but maybe you're in the opposite situation. :confused:

5. mjms4 thread starter macrumors newbie

magnet madness

that makes sense. do you think there's an actual process, or would i just have to sit it next to a magnet for awhile?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It has to be a pretty strong magnet and a few wipes over the drive should suffice. A weak magnet will do nothing though.

BTW, there are software solutions for what you want to achieve, if you can get this drive in a case or an internal bay. :)

7. mjms4 thread starter macrumors newbie

my ultimate problem is that i bought the computer used and the hard drive has passwords that i can't get passed, so i decided to change the drive but that didn't work. so before purchasing another one, i thought i might try short cut with the original.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you start from your system restore discs and reformat the drive, that should suffice. :)

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yep, as mad jew has said, just use the restore discs to wipe and reload the OS on your HDD. :)

10. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

you can also boot from the system disc and use the password menu to change the passwords.

If you do want to erase and install (always a good idea with second hand gear), there are options for writing zeros over everything to totally wipe it instead of just the standard erase which just rewrites the partition table, and doesn't actually wipe the data, just tags it as being overwrite-able (which is a lot faster)

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Stay away from physically doing anything to the drive...even if it's just with magnets. I've run into difficulty reformatting drives that had been wiped with a magnet. I won't go into detail as to why I had multiple drives that had been given the magnet treatment...but it'll suffice to say it's a bad idea.