Silly little thing but....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stan, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Stan macrumors member

Sep 1, 2003
    ... I am using a G4 PB 1GHz, and every time the machine goes into sleep mode, or is switched off and back on again, I click on the icon top right to open 'Applications', 'Users' etc etc and all the folders are messed up. There is a white background, the folders are not lined up and the folder size has changed. I have tried numerous times correcting the folder size, changing the background to aqua, lining up all folders etc using the finder preferences but this does not last. Anyone know how to stop this from happening?
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Sounds like your .DS_Store files are corrupt

I suspect the cause of the problem is one or more corrupted .DS_Store files. Every folder has a .DS_Store file in it - the file is used to store things like view settings and icon alignment. Do you know how to use the Terminal? You need to use the Terminal to delete the corrupt .DS_Store files because they're normally hidden. Try the advice here for info on how to do this. If that doesn't help, I have two other suggestions - rebuild your Mac OS 9 desktop (this can be done in the Classic pane of System Preferences) and repair permissions (use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder for this).