Silly question for mac experts only

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, May 3, 2002.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok guys let's see if you can solve this dilema. I want to be able to select certain file icons and have different color options for certain files. can this be done in OSX?

example below

I have a folder entitled "Dookie" inside are all the MP3 files of Green Day's awesome album. I just want to select certain tracks that I like. I want them to be in a different color then the standard one so they stand out. Is there anyway to do this in OSX?

please help me MAC GODS

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Unless there's an app out there I don't know of that does this, you're going to have to get something like Iconographer or Photoshop to edit the standard icons to change their color. Sorry. :(

3. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

This was a feature that came in useful in OS 9...maybe they'll put it back in 10.2?

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

not what you asked for exactly but it may help.

Attached Files:

6. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

It's not incredibly hard, just change the hue on the icon w/Photoshop, then copy/paste back onto the same folder. (time consuming though)
    Another reason why 10 is way ahead, yet still far behind. X.1 is still essentially a beta IMO, hopefully 10.2 comes closer to what Apple is capable of.

7. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

i certainly hope that 10.2 will help me solve my little dilema

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think the best thing you could do would be to use Play Lists, thats what I do:

Attached Files:

• p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
  9. afonso macrumors member

hey nice playlists... but moloco, should really be Moloko hehehe :)

Sorry, but i just love them too much to see it written like that :)

i hope they put a search bar like iTunes or Mail in the finder...

later,
    afonso

10. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I have been meaning to change that for quite a while, here is the updated version:

Attached Files:

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Wow

I need my colored icons. The folder where I place my clients stuff is really red.

12. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok well let me explain why its so important to me to be able to differenciate (cant spell) different MP3 files. When I purchase a Power Mac this summer its probably going to have at least 100 GB hard drive. I want to load in all my MP3s (currently around 2,000) and then load in my 500 CDs which is probably another (8,000) songs.

So if i have 10,000 MP3s on my computer Id like to be able to locate each song I like very easily. Everything will be in its own folder and very organized but I dont love every song of each album I have but I still want every song on the computer. So if i go into a folder and forget which songs I like then I will have the ones I love in a certain color (lets say blue) and songs I can stand in red and every other track just standard black.

I know I that I could make a playlist for each album but that would mean I would have hundreds of playlists which is just going to be a mess.

I'm pretty sure OS 9 had an option to change the color of a file, I hope OSX.2 also gets this option.

disgruntled future mac addict

13. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I repeat, it may be time consuming, but you could easily finish in an hour and that would be faster than waiting for 10.2. Just hue change some folders, and save the hue-changed folders somewhere so that you can copy or paste on the fly. Probably just as fast as the label contextual menu and you can define your own colors.

14. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes but i dont want to change the hue of a folder I want to change the hue of the actual MP3 file icon. now take 10,000 MP3s and say I like 6,000 of those songs thats a lot of work in Photoshop. bring back the color options of OS 9

ohh OSX.2 will be installed in my dual G4

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Ah, I see. Not a lot of work in Photoshop, but a lot of work nonetheless for 1000's of files as you can't batch copy/paste or even make a script to simulate it. I don't think there's any easy soultion to your problem. Even changing label color in 9 has no effect on X, as their resource structures vary.
    I second that motion. :)

16. resm macrumors 6502

response to TyleRomeo

AmbitiousLemon's posting very interesting

that ResEx solution could be the solution for TyleRomeo :)

1.click on any track in your iTune Library

2. go to "File"

3. go to "get info"

4. click on "Tags" ...type "light blue" "dark blue" "red" or what ever you classify your track as in your "comments" window

5. go to the browser window and type the color of your mood and...voila !
    all your colour tagged tracks will show up.

(watch out...if there is a track containing that particular colour in its text (as a text) it will show up also

17. resm macrumors 6502

add on

make sure you go to "Edit" then "view Options" and activate "comments"

18. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I think if you change it in OS9, it'll stay that way in X. If not, and you have a VERY fast CPU and TONS of RAM, you can use 3DOSX. It's a bad finder replacement program, but it does have labels.

19. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. mmcneil macrumors regular

SNAX has Labels

SNAX is a very good finder replacement that includes the OS 9 labels functionality - but that is the least of its features....

www.cocoatech.com