Silver is so played out

Discussion in 'Community' started by MoparShaha, Nov 29, 2003.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a little tired of all the silver we're being bombarded with? I just got my new PowerBook, and while I think it looks beautiful, I cannot help but think it would look even better in black, or a dark gray. Everything around us, from TV's to toasters is silver now. Every 3rd car you see on the street seems to be silver. I was in Circuit City yesterday, and saw a black Sony WEGA TV, and thought it was so refreshing. I guess that's just the trend, and eventually it'll change, but I am a little weary of it now.
  2. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    Re: Silver is so played out

When I go into an electronics shop I see what you mean. However, I prefer the brushed metal of my 5.1 decoder to the tacky black plastic of some of the dvd players I've seen in shops. But you are right, black can be done well, and looks great.
  3. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    ...dust and fingerprints show better on black, though. I don't mind the silver at all, certainly beats 'beige'...:p

And as Wes said, I'll take metal over plastic any time.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Silver was the face of electronics through the '80s, and since we're doing '80s retro now, i think the trend will stick around for a while. Personally i really love it, it kind of distinguishes the high-tech objects as something kind of unique. Plus it goes very well with italian furniture.

i'd imagine we will not return to black plastic, rather (in consumer electronics, not just computers) we will find some high-tech polymer that changes color or something...

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    We bought a decent home stereo 3-4 years ago and all the components are black, I like this because it looks uniform. I also have a powerbook that I think looks great... so i guess i'm in the middle I think the best thing is to buy what you like and not worry about what it looks like, form over function.
  6. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think most people think that if it has to be metal, it needs to be silver. This is a fallacy. If you look at Sony's ES home theater line of a few years ago, it was all metal, but black. It looked very good, and up close, you could see the brushed metal, just anodized black. This is what I'm talking about when I say I'd like to see more black, or dark grey. I agree that plastic is cheap and poor looking. Black can be metal too.
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Silver beats Hot Pink and Neon Yellow for electronics gadgets.

Definitely looks better than painting flowers on a computer.
  8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I'm fine with silver metal. It's all the silver *plastic* that's getting me down. I was shopping for a new cordless phone yesterday, and 90% of the phones on display were silver plastic. Very cheesified, if you ask me.
  9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    what?! I thought everyone liked Flower Power iMacs. [sarcasm]

Serioulsy, if you have to put flowers on a computers, you could at least have the dignity not to call it "Flower Power."

edit: If you don't like silver, check out my new 'tar...It'll make you vomit. Hehe.
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    For Apple The Silver metal look is new. I also like the look. Give a more expensive look than plastic.