SilverKeeper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Matt W, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Matt W macrumors newbie

Matt W

I have searched through previous posts but can't find an answer to this. Not quite sure why as I think it is a fairly basic requirement.

I want to backup my iBook and include the home directory and also the applications folder. SilverKeeper will only let you choose one source, and really I want to choose several (ie create a backup set as it would be called in MS Backup for Windows). Am I asking too much from this program? I have read that it could be done with exclusions but I would rather do it with "inclusions".

Also is it possible in any way to leave the home directory encrypted in some way? Either that or create an encrypted backup in full? I am backing up to an external hard drive and would like to know that should it be stolen the thief would not have access to my personal data.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I've never had much luck with Silverkeeper for backups. I immediately found SuperDuper to be much easier to use. It will make an exact copy of your ibooks HD and also make it bootable. As far as encription options, you probably aren't going to find a program that's free that'll do it for you.

You can find SuperDuper here: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

3. Matt W thread starter macrumors newbie

Matt W

Thanks. I was just looking at SuperDuper now as it happens - looks very good except for the fact that it would appear to create a single file backup which is obviously going to be larger than 4GB and I was planning to backup to a FAT32 external hard drive. I could reformat to the Mac format but I don't really have any way of preserving what is already on the drive and I don't want to loose it.

I may have to bite the bullet though.