Sim City 4 crashes my iBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by mfarley, Aug 14, 2004.

1. mfarley macrumors newbie

After installing Sim City 4 I attempted to play it with the default settings. During the first install, I attempted to locate it in the applications folder where I installed it--to no avail. Odd I thought, but chalked it up to a finder oddity. So did a search for it, located it IN the applications folder, and opened it up.

I was shown a black screen, then what appeared to be a chain displayed in the middle. It looked as if 1 window instance was tiny and distorted and multiplied over the length of the screen. I say this ecause I have very good vision and I saw in all instances of the screen what could pass as a green loading bar.

Then the maxis window appeared as well as the sim city 4 window and then the map. I do the norm, pick a region and start my city.

Navigation is very VERY slow and delayed, then the screen will start bugging out displaying half of the map where I WAS and half where I WENT. And then it stalls. It hangs as well as the music, and I have to CTRL+apple+restart.

I meet the specs needed:
    1.07ghz; 512mb DDR; OSX 10.3.5; ATI 32mb VRAM

I shut all apps down prior, even placed all setting in this game to minimal including resolution, and it still crashes.

Any ideas as to what I can try. I tried re-installing, nothing. I applied the update, nothing. I rebuilt permissions after, nothing.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The problem is that its running in Classic. You need to reboot into OS 9 (if you can) to play this game. Even then, Sim City 4 is quite sluggish. Make sure you download the latest patch from www.macgamefiles.com

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I think it's just the game is badly programmed. I have SimCity 4 and it was unplayable (for me) on my G4 dual 1.25. It was only once I got my G5 that it became a good game. Yes it did crash a couple of times, I just got in to the habit of saving regularly.

A useful hint in OS X - if a full screen app crashes, you can quit it without restarted the computer : option-apple-escape.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

SimCity 4 is definitely OS X-native, unless I misread something.

5. mfarley thread starter macrumors newbie

I sure hope it's osx compatible since the minimum requirements is OSX 10.2 or later. Will try to run it in classic though, can't hurt.

6. mfarley thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about deleting the sim city preference file?

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

My bad, I was so stuck back in the days of SimCity 3000... which was a far better game IMO (because of the bad programming/lag in SC4k) :D