Sim City 4, disk images not loading game...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Sep 4, 2004.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

i've read around that the best/easiest way to play games on the mac without a CD is by creating disc images. so thats what I did with Sim City 4, I created toast images of the 2 disks, and copied them to my computer. I mounted them, and now when I go to play Sim City 4, it asks for me to insert the CD...

:confused:

could someone please shead some light on this situation... should I of not created the images with toast? or maybe there is a nocd crack for the game?

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

You need to make a read-only image when you first make the image. You also might try making the image with Disk Utility, although I can't see any reason why Toast shouldn't work.

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

don't know if SC4 has it enabled, but there are tons of reasons why that wouldn't work...and they are all copyright protection schemes. I don't have SC4 for Mac because i have it on my PC and it runs great, but I would guess that there is something on one of the CDs that isn't actually part of the traditional "image"

There's a PC program called Alcohol 121 or something like that, and it tries to "really" do a disc image...it worked well for me on a couple of games that I was just sick of switching out CDs for and waiting for the CD drive to read the movie files so slowly...nothing like a 2000 speed CD-RW drive!

But i don't know if you can get this same level of intricacy on the Mac anywhere...it was pretty involved and complex...to get around these copy protection schemes you have to be able to know exactly how it was protected in the first place. Nothing infuriates me more than having to put in a disc to play a game that is taking up 2 GB of my hard drive, only to see it NEVER read from the disc except when it wants to make sure the disc is still in there. I didn't pay 50 bucks for that. And every single game that has such a scheme on it was available on the internet, hacked, before the game even came out in the stores. All they are doing is pissing off paying customers...

4. brap macrumors 68000

I have a copied image of the Mac SC4 because I'd already bought the PC version months before... the validation keys aren't even the same across platforms, which I find totally ridiculous. There is no 'no-cd' crack around for SC4, it doesn't work when mounted with either Toast or Disk utility. I have to put the image on a RW when I want to use it. Simple answer - it doesn't work without a CD.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Well, I run SimCity 4 on an image, and I also run Neverwinter Nights on an image, and I used to play Age of Empires II on an image. Setting Disk Utility to make the image read-only seems to be the thing to do.