Sim City 4 on Tibook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by parrothead, Jan 30, 2004.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Has anyone tried playing Sim City 4 on a Tibook 500? I know it is way below the minimum standard, but sometimes miracles happen. ;)

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

No but I imagine you'd have some serious scrolling issues when your city expands. The lack of enough video memory will seriously hamper any efforts to playing this game happily. I run this game on a Dual 1GHz MDD with 2GB of Ram and a Nvidia Geforce 4Ti and it still lags.

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

...not in the mac gaming world....

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's perfectly runnable at 1024x768 on my 1GHz PB 12" but then I have twice the processor speed and 32Megs of video RAM. I think it'd be pretty unplayable on your computer I'm afraid.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Don't even try.

I have a TiBook 500, and I borrowed a friends copy, just to see if it would work. The anamation was abhorrid, the scrolling was gawdawful, and it was slow as hell. I'm now hoping to get a tower to use at home, and then I might think about buying SC4 again.

BTW, Wasn't AGP suppossed to fix video problems, by allowing the Graphics card access to the system RAM (hense the Xx numbers, times normal bus rate they can access the RAM) because I think they jipped us (any Computer User). I want a bus that allows components to access available system ram at par with its own ram. Then problems like this would be a thing of the past.

TEG

6. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will just have to go out and buy a nice new G5 tower.

When I win the lottery. :D

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i cannot wait to be able to play that game on my computer... i have loved the series since the original.

8. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I have played it on the PC and it blows the older versions away!

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Don't buy it for a TI powerbook. I don't care what some users here have said I own an iMac, an iBook, a G3 Powermac, TI powerbook, and now a 1Ghz 12" Powerbook. It sucks on all those, it has horrible performance even with the settings on low. It constantly freezes for hard drive activity.
    Aspyr really has done a crappy job with this port. But as a mac user, that is usually what we are stuck with... we pay twice the price for the game, wait 6 to 12 months for the mac version after it has already been released for the pc, and get 1/2 of the features. Thats a part of life until game vendors optimize for the G5 ;)

10. AkiraK macrumors member

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Are you sure? Granted, it starts to slow when the cities get big but I run it on my 12"er fine at max res, even with most of the settings turned on. My gripe is that it doesn't appear to run as fast under Panther as it did under Jaguar, although maybe I haven't updated to the latest version.

12. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Not really. The system RAM on most computers is MUCH slower than dedicated video RAM. The PC100 Ram in a TiBook is not adequate for AGP texturing in games. AGP textuing, even on a fast DDR Ram machine, is a last resort and very slow.

That is why people who buy machines with shared video memory get laughed at. There isn't much that is lamer than a machine that uses slow system ram for video ram.

Part of what makes modern game look good is the number of polygons and shader effects. Unless you have a nwer video card you won't get any of this. So it isn't just lack of RAM that makes Sim City 4 slow.

On a mobile PC a RADEON 7500 with 32 megs of RAM is the absolute minimum if you want to play games. And frankly even it is getting too slow. I played Mafia on my P4M 1.6 with RADEON Mobility 7500 and is was just bearable. That game is a bit old now.

Cue rev.1 iBook owners/fanatics who will tell us that they are playing UT2003 at 10*7 max details and that it runs smooth. There is one in every Mac gaming forum.

13. lewdvig macrumors 65816

No they didn't. You just don't know anything about programing.

G4 and older macs are slow for games. The fastest G4 is barely able to feed a RADEON 8500 data fast enough. The CPU is a big bottleneck.

Faster ram, with a fat/fast pipe to an even faster CPU is what modern games need.

If you go on a PC forum and complain that your crappy old PIII or Athlon running at 1GHz with a RageII or even first gen RADEON runs games too slow you will be laughed at for the rest of your life. A 500Mhz Thinkpad can't play Sim City 4 either so don't feel bad.

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You know its great how people are quick to criticize. There are two main issues here. 1) Performance of SimCity 4 and 2) Mac vs. PC. If you spend 10 minutes of your time and go to a SimCity forum that happens to acknowledge the Mac port of the game you will realize that the majority of SC4 users that purchased the game are dissatisfied, and that the game was not optimized. I have a 2.6Ghz P4, and it seems to play exceptionally well on it. I don’t think its fair that your comparing Apple’s current offering (the G4) to an Athlon or Pentium III. The G4 is what is currently offered in the Powerbook series, its not as if I have a notebook that was released 4 years ago and am trying to play a just released performance intensive game. Aspyr decided to port the game, and advertise that its for G4 systems, even Powerbooks. If it doesn’t perform well, and I am saying it doesn’t its their fault. You can criticize me, and tell me how “misinformed” I am all you want… Apsyr sold the game so they are responsible. If you call Aspyr, they will even admit that there have been numerous complaints from users on G4 and G5 systems. As a consumer, who paid $50+ bucks for it, it was a waste of money.

15. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Well maybe in a couple of years when G5s are at 3 + GHZ we can enjoy Sim City 4 when the PCers are playing Sim City 6. :mad:

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

LOL. I really think that Apple knows it needs to improve the Mac gaming market. That is a major selling point in us younger customers. Customers who are known for our impulsive buying habits :) I think the G5 platform will be a launching point for this market, especially if the mac game vendors can start releasing games simultanously. Maybe its time for Apple to dump some of that stockpile of cash on their game vendors. We can only hope!

17. lewdvig macrumors 65816

OK fine. You make a good point. And I don't mean to be critical. I just want to point out that there is no magic that makes a 1.25 GHz G4 perform like a current gen PC laptop (Centrino, P4M or Athlon).

Aspyr can't really say: System Req's - A Mac that will come out in 2004.

I do all my important stuff on Macs and use the PC for games ONLY. That is my suggestion to Mac owners. You will find that your hardware lasts longer if you skip games. It never feels slow.

Because even the Dual G4s are just barely as fast as a 3GHz P4 I can build for $800 (if you don't mind OCing - I don't).

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I know its unfortunate, I guess I need to build a PC just for gaming :/

19. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Right now the Athlon64 3000+ looks like a winner. I built one up for my brother in-law. Very nice.

I upgrade my PC every 18 months. I gut the thing, sell the mobo, cpu and ram (unless the ram is the same) and get the latest. Same applies for the video card.

20. johnnowak macrumors 6502

It was playable until my city got even slightly larger in size on my dual 867. I deleted it cause of the slowdowns. Forget it on a 500mhz machine.