Sim City 4 Rush Hour

Discussion in 'Games' started by parrothead, Oct 26, 2004.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I just got the Rush Hour expansion pack for Sim City 4 and wanted to give my impressions. First let me tell you that I am running it on my Powerbook G4 1.25 GHZ 64mb VRAM. At medium graphics settings, it has been running great. In fact it seems to be running faster and better than on my PC. I have access to a 2.4GHZ 128mb VRAM computer and it is very sluggish when saving cities and scrolling. My Mac so far has been much faster with saving and loading. This makes me very happy.

The really good news is that Rush Hour for Mac has been able to use about 95% of my custom lots and BATs downloaded off places like Simtropolis. It even supports many of the mods to the game itself.

I imagine on a top of the line G5 this game will really fly. I definitely recommend this game! :D

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

are you sure you're comparing apples to apples?

What I mean is, have you run a large map with 300K+ people on your Mac yet?

3. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

It slows down some with the larger cities but it still runs well and comparably with the PC.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

This is good news. I was planning on purchasing this extension. Thanks for the heads up!

5. applekid macrumors 68020

If you found the original SC4 to be playable, Rush Hour won't be much of a jump (I hear performance got better on the PC with Rush Hour).

6. KrysBaz macrumors member

The only problem with the expansion is the 3 - 4 week wait for delivery, not exactly good supply and demand economics.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

SimCity 4 sucks on my computer. Always lagging. I spent so long trying to get it to work (turned out my CDs were bad) and when I finally got replacement CDs the gameplay was horrible.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I just bought the SC4RH expansion on Monday night and found the performance to be a bit better then SC4.

9. BEET macrumors member

Yeh I just bought SC4 and have been really looking foward to playing, just installed it and it pixelates/freezes pretty much every time I try to do anything thing. Do I need to change any settings on my powerbook as this is the first time I've really used it for gaming?

10. BEET macrumors member

Yeh I just bought SC4 and have been really looking foward to playing, just installed it and it pixelates/freezes pretty much every time I try to do anything thing. Do I need to change any settings on my powerbook as this is the first time I've really used it for gaming?

Can you get bad cds?

11. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

If you have SC4 non rush hour I know there was an issue with certain video cards. they issued an update which should help. Try version tracker. I had a lot of weird problems until I installed the update. I you are using Rush Hour then I dont know what to tell you.

12. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

What's the deal with Rush Hour really? The trailer doesn't look too interesting.

13. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Rush Hour is absolutely necessary to get the best experience. There are many extra features like, el trains, monorails, new buildings, avenues, one way streets, Udrive it, more bridge choices, etc.

But the greatest thing about it are the custom lots. There is a huge community out there that has been creating custom buildings, lots, and even game modifications for a couple years now. Most of the better custom lots called BATs will only work with Rush Hour. In fact I would say around 80% of all lots out there will only work with Rush Hour. Take a look at www.simtropolis.com and check out some of the lots there. To me RH added so much it could have been called Sim City 5 or at least SC 4.5. :D

14. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

cool, thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

yeah, Rush Hour made the game.

I would say it's more like this:

SC4 should be called SC3.8 Beta or something.

and Rush Hour should be the "real" SC 4.

Getting by without the udrive it bonuses and the other transportation features just makes the game too hard. Getting a million people on a square is really really hard if you dont' have rush hour.

16. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I recently picked up the Rush Hour expansion pack, and I'm having a really tough time with the U-Drive-It missions.

The biggest problem by far is going up and down little hills with the wheeled vehicles. They get stuck going up the smallest little bumps sometimes, and it takes all the allotted time just to get back to a piece of flat land. If the mission starts me out on an incline, there's no way at all to finish it in time!

Otherwise, the U-Drive-It missions are way slow and clunky feeling in general. Like my cars will respond to acceleration or deceleration commands 4 or 5 seconds after I give them. Needless to say, it's seriously impacting my enjoyment of the driving feature.

I'm not running the game on a super new computer, but I am enough above the minimum specs that I think it should be playable. I'm using a dual 1GHz Powermac with 64MB of video memory and 768 megabytes of RAM. I installed the game on my 1GHz iBook with 768MB of RAM and roughly the same performance, so I'm really hoping that this is a software rather than hardware issue.

Do you think this is going to get ironed out with some sort of patch? Or do you think the only improvement will come with an upgrade to a newer Mac?

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hit Shift to "snap to the road" and Shift again when you have to pass traffic.

18. benpatient macrumors 68000

U-Drive-It in a big city zoomed out past "full" zoom in will cause you some slow downs on that machine, as you've seen.

I would recommend trying to get the U-Drive-it stuff out of the way when you city is small, and to zoom in (the mouse wheel zoom still works in u-drive-it mode) all the way.

you can't see as far ahead of you when you drive, but it will allow you to be more responsive if you are having slow-downs.

my machine runs well enough for me zoomed out all the way (in u-drive-it that's level 4 or 3, i think), so i can see pretty far ahead, which is nice.

definitely learn to use Shift to lock and unlock from the road...it's the trick to being good at u-drive-it. locking to the road doesn't make you a wuss. It makes you more productive.

19. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Okay, my shift-unshift technique could probably use some work, but what about my problem of getting stuck on the hills? Does this happen to anyone else? Even when I rev up the gas, I still get stuck most of the time.

20. benpatient macrumors 68000

maybe my roads aren't that hilly in my cities or something, but i don't have that problem much. it depends on the car you're using. big trucks and busses are slow to get rolling no matter what.

Maybe you should turn around and find a different path?

I honestly don't think i've ever had a real problem with slow accelleration up a hill, really...